RCS IN DA CLUB

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
bustinjustin
Fearless

Re: RCS IN DA CLUB

Post by bustinjustin » 26 Jun 2016 22:26

Played hard today.
I've decided I'm going to start going for ten fearless again. Don't know if I'll ever be able to get it back but I've been thinking about fearless combos a lot lately.
As I mentioned I've been working really hard in the gym. My diet has been pretty good lately except for Friday's when I eat doughnuts. Hit my goal weight today (185). I was 184.8. Will decide after USO whether to set a new goal of 180. Feels good to have accomplished this benchmark before USO. Quite the confidence boost.
Today I hit:
Dyno>whirl>twist rpt
Spin duck down>spin duck osis>blurry whirl flip
Spin duck down>spin duck osis>blurriest good
Bs blur>motion>blurriest
Barfly>twist bs
Pdx drifter>barfly bs
Pdx drifter>drifter rpt
Pdx drifter>duck clip rpt
Pdx dlo>drifter>barfly bs
Flurry>sweep good side
Dlo>eclipse>whirl into string

Video from when I was good:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/bKfXSsU1sn0[/youtube]

Music selection (lol):
[youtube]https://youtu.be/iU2hy0L5lgg[/youtube]
Justin Dale
Videos

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 27 Jun 2016 06:53

Try these links instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKfXSsU1sn0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU2hy0L5lgg
Have fun at USO, and good luck with the fearless goals! What is your record for unique fearless btw?

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 27 Jun 2016 08:00

I was going to fix those links this morning. Thanks.
Fearless record is 12.
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 13 Jul 2016 09:25

You know what grinds my gears...

Everyone is gushing over this video of Vasek from last year's circle.
Frankly I'm not impressed. I see a guy whose lost a step from being the best in the world. I saw Jim and Evan do better runs in this year's USO circles.
Darren Kautz wrote:But he absolutely DESTROYED in circle last year as this video shows
Although looking at last years results I see Mathias beat Vasek who came in 5th .

Also I don't know I've ever seen Vasek do a clean barraging symp illusion 2:31 (this one is particularly bad) or a clean barroque (4:40) and I wish people would call him on it. He needs to clean those up or stop doing them because the way he's been doing them for years now is garbage and he should not get credit for hitting those moves. All I saw was a barrage and a torque. I'd also be happy to never see Vasek do another whirr (they aren't that great).

To end on a positive note I will say I enjoyed the zoom out of double blender and scorpions tail swirl.

End of rant.

I have been struggling with these thoughts since this video posted but did not want to disparage anyone on the thread. I'm hoping my blog is a safe little corner of the footbag world that no one will take my statements to heart. I had to get it off my chest.
Last edited by bustinjustin on 18 Jul 2016 07:40, edited 2 times in total.
Justin Dale
Videos

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 14 Jul 2016 06:21

word
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Jul 2016 06:26

Being there I thought it was going to be close between Mathias and Vasek, it was the old tale of the local boy come good vs the GOAT and even in our little sport the judges generally look favourably on those with a track record. This happens all the time in major sports too, the players who are considered the best are always getting away with "pushing the limits" of the rules.

What did you think of Vasek's combo in the Sick 3?

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 17 Jul 2016 19:52

Boyle wrote:What did you think of Vasek's combo in the Sick 3?
Great f'n question. Thanks for pointing this out and making me go back and watch this. Looking at the results he WON with:

Václav Klouda (Czech Republic) – Montage > Furious Flail > DOD Swirl

He put that shitty furious flail in the middle of his sick 3 and won. I bet the judges didn't even give it a second thought, "hey, maybe we should check the cleanliness of that move."

Combo at 1:03:
I watched this at it's highest resolution at .25 speed and the bag isn't very visible. With that said, from what I can see, it looks like what I think is the bag is below the dex at its highest point, which it should be next to the leg or inside the dex.

The yellow circle should be above, or heck I'd even take next to or somehow crossing that yellow line, but no, clearly below the dex, just like every other time I've seen him do it.

I'm certainly more inclined to give the judges the benefit of the doubt on this one due to not being there and the quality of the footage, but really, it looks like every other one I've seen, where the bag is under the dex (not inside) and the trick is the.

If I was judging from this video, I would not award him the combo.
Last edited by bustinjustin on 21 Aug 2016 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 24 Jul 2016 09:43

Khoa is visiting Seattle for the week. He is headed back to Vietnam after finishing his Masters at PSU. Part of me is very sad at the potential he won't be able to come back to the states. I've been blessed to know such an amazing person and to get to spend so much time with him freestyling.
We kicked yesterday but I didn't film. Khoa is on the verge of being able to make a leap in footbag and I spent the whole 3.5 hour session breaking him down and building him back up.
We will kick with Reilley and Dan this week and I plan on filming that session and making a vid.

Couple things I've hit recently:
31 drifters (conditioning is up)
Dropped on last contact of rubber man
Phoenix>fog>open paradon
Barfly>twist rpt
Sweep>twist bs
Open muted clip>twist>dbl pickup rpt
Smear>atom smasher rpt

I ended yesterday's session with a 42 contact string that felt easy. I'm going to start pushing the Penske challenge of breaking 100 guiltless contacts.
Justin Dale
Videos

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 24 Jul 2016 13:59

bustinjustin wrote:Khoa is visiting Seattle for the week. He is headed back to Vietnam after finishing his Masters at PSU. Part of me is very sad at the potential he won't be able to come back to the states. I've been blessed to know such an amazing person and to get to spend so much time with him freestyling.
We kicked yesterday but I didn't film. Khoa is on the verge of being able to make a leap in footbag and I spent the whole 3.5 hour session breaking him down and building him back up.
We will kick with Reilley and Dan this week.
Oh Justin (sob, sob) I love you so much man. You too are an amazing person. You have an awesome personality (which I wish you'd go all out and show us more often), amazing wealth of kindness, and your knowledge, especially about footbag, is just mindblowing. After the 2 video sessions with you I don't think I will watch a video the same way again. Thank you for all the tips you gave me, and I intend to put them to very good use as I continue my footbag journey.
I would so love to shred with RCS for one more day next week. You guys can be sure that no matter where I am, i will continue to watch for you guys' videos, and cheer when I watch your progress.
Thank you so much, J-man ;)

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 26 Jul 2016 20:28

Kicked with Reilley, Dan and Khoa tonight. Sessions are getting longer, today was 2.5 hours. I've had trouble kickin longer than 1.5 hours in the recent past due to my back.
I wanted to shred so hard today. Pushed for string length and had quite a few over 30 contacts.
First session with my new shoes. They played really well. I was surprised they played so comfortably.
I'm always off balance on my barflys and blurriests. Working on those a lot lately.
I got a combo of 5 5's.
Phoenix>ripped warrior>spin duck down>spin duck osis>motion.
Going to push for 7 next.
I didn't film today. Wish I had. We are going to play again on Thursday. I'm trying to get as many sessions with Khoa as I can while he's here.
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 29 Jul 2016 22:42

I am terrible at barfly.
Kicked with Khoa Thur. But he was drilling and I was not kicking as well as I did Tue. Thus no footage. I'm kicking with him again tomorrow but he will mostly be playing football freestyle with Cory Black.
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 08 Aug 2016 15:40

I've was glued to FB the last week watching all the World's live videos. It was such a treat to be able to come to work, get settled and watch the days events while getting my morning work done. I'm very happy for many of the players that got medals this year. Especially Patrik Černý who took 3rd in Routine, Alexander Trenner who won Shred 30 and Jakub Mościszewski who got 2nd in Circle and I was messaging all week.

I've never been inclined to compete in request contest but this year's World's competition was in my wheelhouse. If this years set of combos had hit me in 2013 I would have made it through to the final 2/3 for sure. Honza won with ripped warrior>jani walker. Super easy. So at my last session I wanted to see if I could hit it in 3 tries:
I've also never been inclined to do shred 30's. With my tall body type I'm at a major disadvantage when it comes to shred 30. Even if I'm keeping my sets low and omitting ducks and spins and going as fast as I can I max out at 28 contacts in 30 seconds, and my game looks terrible if I try to go fast. But I'm motivated to try again after watching World's this year. I made several attempts yesterday and will continue to work on improving my scores. Right now I'm setting a modest goal of breaking 200. I think I had a run yesterday that scored higher but my camera battery ran out. I figure it will be a fun way to measure progress and push my game. I'll post videos and scores as I improve.
Justin Dale
Videos

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 10 Aug 2016 01:43

I think 200 is a good aim. Look at some really good players in the finals and they didn't get to 200 either. Lots of drops though. The hardest part is to recover if you get off the plan.

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 12 Aug 2016 11:54

Kicked on Tuesday and had a good session. It was a little stressful. The room is open for an hour between classes and I tried to squeez a lot of practice in that hour. I kicked yesterday too and had one of the worst sessions in a while. I've been trying to get footage of my barflys which continue to confound me. Can't get past 2 and it's pathetic. My phone has not been cooperating and it's been very frustrating not getting to see any footage to make improvements. At the end of yesterday's session I threw my phone in my bag and it hit my tripod perfectly to crack the screen really bad. Ugh, from bad to worse, I was not happy.

Recently I've hit:
Blur>legbeater>blizzard>dimwalk rpt
Barrage>paradon>barfly rpt
Open everything:
Open ss illusion>smudge>rpt>open legover>magellan>rpt>open ss mirage>smear>rpt>open pickup>open ss pickup>rpt dropped on the catch
Blurriest>blurriest
Blurrier>blurrier 2nd try
Blurrier>dbl pickup bs
Fog>dimiest could not get flip
Drifter>gyro drifter rpt starting both sides
Swirl x 18 good 12 flip
Nuclear tap>legbeater bs

Lots more work locking in the first 12 contacts of shred 30 and barfly (so many barflys).
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Barfly

Post by bustinjustin » 16 Aug 2016 22:32

I made a video of all my barfly attempts from today's session. Please help me fix them. I can see a lot wrong, especially that I'm falling backwards. I've been making lots of adjustments but no improvement. I've been trying to think of it as a butterfly with an extra dex or pdx illusion with a butterfly. I feel like I've tried everything and it's not getting easier. Right now it's a jumbled mess of trying too many methods.
Let me know what works for you or what you see I need to change.
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 21 Aug 2016 18:17

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRrrrrrrrgh, 196.
98 adds
26 contacts
26 uniques

I thought I beat 200 on this one. Good base to improve. Back to work.
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 21 Aug 2016 23:26

I'll do a write up tomorrow. Here's a new video. Lot's of rep practice and a few drills.
Justin Dale
Videos

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 22 Aug 2016 05:26

Your shred 30 video is only 28 seconds, with one more trick you would have beaten 200, and you probably could have time for two.

Just one thing though - isn't the rule that your first contact is the start of counting, and uniques start with the first 3? So you would have a one add non unique at the start there. That's why people start with it on their foot, or drop straight into paradon swirl.

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 22 Aug 2016 07:14

Barflies:
You need to push the dexes down and keep your weight on the toes. You're off balance because you dex and then fall to the landing. And you're having trouble on the consecutives, because you land your whole foot flat on the ground, and can't spring back up to the next trick so easily.
-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y20OHe6pqm0 note the dexes pushed down and the magic hop

Shred30:
Don't do toe tricks. Magellan>PLO>rpt is not worth it (Infinity>Whirl>rpt is equal points). Osis b2b > Pdx Blender at the end, and you've got 200 right there.

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 22 Aug 2016 08:43

Great advice Daniel and Anz. Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply!
Boyle wrote:Your shred 30 video is only 28 seconds, with one more trick you would have beaten 200, and you probably could have time for two.
I haven't been pre-calculating my shred 30's. I came up with the combo I wanted to get on film and then calculated the score. I didn't know how much time that combo would take. Now I have a base line to work from I'll be able to make a leap forward.
Anz wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y20OHe6pqm0 note the dexes pushed down and the magic hop
I've been watching your barfly video a lot. I've been using it as my tutorial to make my barfly adjustments but your comments will help me focus in the right places.

I'm currently working solely on single reps getting them mid-time and getting my balance right. Now I'll make sure I'm pushing down and staying on my toes too. When I feel I've fixed those problems I'll get back to consecutives.
Anz wrote:Don't do toe tricks. Magellan>PLO>rpt is not worth it (Infinity>Whirl>rpt is equal points). Osis b2b > Pdx Blender at the end, and you've got 200 right there.
Why no toe tricks? Too much time, too much risk? I'll get those out of there. Sadly I can't pdx blender any more due to my knee and flip is not consistent enough to put in my shred 30. I'll figure out another 5 to get in there.
Justin Dale
Videos