Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by boyle » 22 May 2020 02:50

Yeah, Dyalan has never really stopped playing but he's definitely not playing as regularly these days. It's been good doing these kicks. He does some good stuff with atomic ducking from time to time. Even though he doesn't play too much, there's still a few good tricks in the bag.

I've done most of the kicks in the backyard, but I've just used the mobile data connection at times at that's been OK.

My first comp, I won the consecutive kicks. I didn't know any tricks at all. Maybe a couple of circle kicking moves, but after going to the comp I started struggling to work on around the world and similar. I won that though, so that was a big moment! I've had a decent amount of entries in the consecutives comp. Brian has just sent in a clip and I think that puts him in the lead.

I've done a couple of video sessions, another one with Rory and then another with Dyalan. This week I think I will go over to Copey's house and we will dial Dyalan in.

Restrictions have eased a bit here, a fair bit actually. We've had zero active cases for a couple of weeks now and here in the ACT it never got to a particularly high level. Just over 100 cases in total. In Sydney it was much more, but even there, there are many less active cases. We're back to school now, just with the kids up to year 2.

For me, it's been really good doing that online learning. Now we're back at school, the kids run off, they just sit down instead of joining in the lesson, and so on and so forth. I haven't kicked so much now that we are back to school though. Been a bit of a weird week. I went to the skatepark today, I hadn't been since the start of the year basically and I felt really off balance doing a lot of my tricks on that. I guess that will come back easily enough.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 01 Jun 2020 02:14

I've signed up for Worlds, so thinking about my preparations for that. I've seen Ken and TJ set out some goals and planning in their blogs. Here's some ideas for me.

- + 200 in shred 30. With the video idea if you keep doing that, and get all the moves without a drop, you should be OK. I've never scored anywhere near that in comp, but I haven't had all that many opportunities to get there and you get plenty of goes at it.

- Sick 3. My current idea for a combo is darkwalk>motion sickness>tomahawk - I had this off my foot the other day. I haven't hit a beast in my life as yet so I don't think I should plan on it for Worlds.

Safety would be something like darkwalk>spinning ducking butterfly>spinning ducking osis
https://www.instagram.com/p/CA171lflVmU/

- Routine - Dropless routine. I sent an entry for Mathieu's competition. I had a couple of drops in that with a song I'd thought of doing a routine to for quite a while. I'd only just got some ideas together, so I think I'll just try and improve that particular song.

Shred Off - Don't really know how to plan this out. I think just have a session and see what comes out.

My consecutive kicks comp is coming to an end. I've had a whole bunch of entries today and I'll leave it open for another day or so in case of any last minute entries. Personally I couldn't crack the 120s, though that was around what I was expecting. The best ones have been in the 170-185 range, which is pretty impressive for one minute.

Last week I had a kick with Copey - a real life in person kick. We haven't got any cases here in Canberra, though there are still a few hundred around Australia. I had my Dad up visiting so couldn't do any video kicks, but we'll probably get back to them next week. I think we'll be able to go down the coast on the weekend. We haven't been since Christmas, which was shortly followed by bushfires and then a pandemic. It's certainly been a year. What is good is that this week and next week Monday is a public holiday. Then I don't work on Tuesdays.

I did up a vlog a while back from our trip to Western Australia. I just got the chance to upload it today. A bit of kicking in there with the sun setting into the sea. We were lucky to get that trip in among all the chaos of this year.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 02 Jun 2020 14:31

boyle wrote:
01 Jun 2020 02:14
I've seen Ken and TJ set out some goals and planning in their blogs. Here's some ideas for me.
This is one reason why Modified is great; it motivates others.
boyle wrote:
- + 200 in shred 30. With the video idea if you keep doing that, and get all the moves without a drop, you should be OK. I've never scored anywhere near that in comp, but I haven't had all that many opportunities to get there and you get plenty of goes at it.
I haven't been kicking so that my toes get a bit less sore, which means I have had more time to think about my Shred30. I have drafted one which puts me at 204. The next time I kick I will start practicing that. How do you think up a Shred30? I tend to write down my strongest tricks, then think about how to link them together.
boyle wrote:
- Sick 3. My current idea for a combo is darkwalk>motion sickness>tomahawk - I had this off my foot the other day. I haven't hit a beast in my life as yet so I don't think I should plan on it for Worlds.

Safety would be something like darkwalk>spinning ducking butterfly>spinning ducking osis
This seems like a nice Boyle combo. I picture you hitting this with Kangaroos in the background for some reason. The safety has 3 ducks (well, 2 ducks and one dive), 2 butterflies, and 2 spins. Could you vary the components a bit more, considering the advice Ken and Mathieu recently gave me? That being said, it is a safety.
boyle wrote:
- Routine - Dropless routine.
I think this is a great goal, especially for World's. Hitting a dropless routine at Worlds in 2017 was one of the best feelings I have had in footbag. Hitting a dropless routine in finals was a better best feeling. I think you are more than able to do this.
boyle wrote:
Shred Off - Don't really know how to plan this out. I think just have a session and see what comes out.
Yeah same. I feel like just setting the camera on record, having a session, and then watching afterwards and selecting good runs seems legit. Or, maybe including parts of Shred30 for length/density?
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 03 Jun 2020 12:15

So many beautiful sunsets in this one! Wow!

Trivia! I think I inadvertently "popularized" the trickname "Darkwalk". Pretty sure Rob Fuller came up with it, but just used it himself, didn't try to make it official or anything, and then that's what I called it on Hackrifice, decades ago, back when my site had the most individual trick videos on the internet (I was really only competing with .org, I think, and I was at about 200, while .org is like 20 or so?...) Same story for dimmier and dimmiest, though I rarely hear any of these used these days!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 04 Jun 2020 04:01

That's a fun trivia fact. Were there any other names going around for it? "alpine parkwalk" I guess would be one.

I'll see if I can get that combo with some kangaroos by the beach on the weekend. Haha.

For "Shred Off", I've been thinking a little on that. I guess in a minute you have around 100 tricks. So I'm thinking the main thing will be a long run. Let's say 30-50 contacts. Doesn't really matter too much the content, but it should be "oh yeah that was a long run". Then I'm thinking a couple of fearless combos, even if it's just a 5>5 link into a short run, that could work well. Some runs with some unusual tricks in them. And then maybe a themed run, I might do all ducking. But mainly, I'll just kick and see what comes out. Maybe bulk it out with some of the Shred 30 for some added density.

Dropless routine at Worlds is a goal of mine. And even if I do one in the video contest, I will still need to do an "IRL" version as I don't think doing one after thousands of attempts really counts up against getting up on stage and doing it. I have done a dropess routine in comp, but doing it at Worlds would be even better.

Yeah, awesome sunsets in Western Australia, we had the time to catch some of them at the right time as well, so that was a really cool part of going there.

I saw that advice to you, TJ for the sick 3 and those tricks are very similar. Though that's one I sort of have enough of a lock on to get it done. Maybe if I went to ducking PS mirage but I think that's a weaker trick.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 04 Jun 2020 16:49

Muffinman wrote:
03 Jun 2020 12:15
So many beautiful sunsets in this one! Wow!

Trivia! I think I inadvertently "popularized" the trickname "Darkwalk". Pretty sure Rob Fuller came up with it, but just used it himself, didn't try to make it official or anything, and then that's what I called it on Hackrifice, decades ago, back when my site had the most individual trick videos on the internet (I was really only competing with .org, I think, and I was at about 200, while .org is like 20 or so?...) Same story for dimmier and dimmiest, though I rarely hear any of these used these days!
This is great! I will include this in the footbag dictionary app. Any idea on specific years for these?
TJ Boutorwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Sick 3 input

Post by C-Fan » 04 Jun 2020 20:57

boyle wrote:
04 Jun 2020 04:01
For "Shred Off", I've been thinking a little on that. I guess in a minute you have around 100 tricks. 
8O Whoa, how did you get to that number?  My estimate for a 1 minute Shred Off is about half that number.  If you look at a Shred30, the fastest players are only able to squeeze in 31-32 tricks max.  If you also lose 1-2 seconds per clip saying the code word after you drop/handcatch, that's a 3-6 second loss if you have 2-3 clips in a submission.  So lets assume you hit 2 Shred30s to make up your Shred Off, and you shave off a few tricks from each so you have time to say "Footbag Online."  That's like 60 tricks best case scenario.  
boyle wrote:
 I have done a dropess routine in comp, but doing it at Worlds would be even better.
I will second TJ here and say you are correct.  For me my dropless goals went:
:arrow: Dropless in competition
:arrow: Dropless in finals of any competition
:arrow: Dropless at USO (any round)
:arrow: Dropless in Finals at USO
:arrow: Dropless at Worlds (any round)
:arrow: Dropless in Finals at Worlds

Unfortunately I never achieved that last one, but I will say for the others they felt progressively better the higher the stakes were.
boyle wrote:
I saw that advice to you, TJ for the sick 3 and those tricks are very similar.  Maybe if I went to ducking PS mirage but I think that's a weaker trick. 

Yeah, I agree with TJ on the variety.  While I would generally agree that spinning ducking osis is cooler than ducking ps mirage, in the context of the Sick3s you are proposing the ducking ps mirage is better.  It uses a different duck than the previous trick, it introduces a new concept (symposium), and it improves the balance of clippers/toes.  Putting both spinning ducking butterfly AND osis in the same Sick3 is too repetitive, especially if they're both on the same side.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 Jun 2020 19:31

I had only been thinking of theoretically and not actually done any runs. That seems more realistic and makes me think I did get some decent runs over the weekend which may work. Thinking on it, I'm way off. And thinking on all that saying of "footbag online", the less clips the better. Though I did see the suggestion you could have a sign or something in the background saying "footbag online" then you don't have to keep saying it.

I got darkwalk>spinning ducking osis>paradox blender on film. It's not perfect, it's a bit dark so I might try and for one, hit an improved combo, and hit it in good lighting.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 08 Jun 2020 21:18

boyle wrote:
08 Jun 2020 19:31
I got darkwalk>spinning ducking osis>paradox blender on film. It's not perfect, it's a bit dark
The first third of the combo for sure.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 09 Jun 2020 14:19

Dark McGwire
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 10 Jun 2020 21:41

Funny guys...

I hadn't even realised that myself.

So my preparations have taken a bit of a hit, I'm down sick and don't really see myself playing for a few days.

I'm going to be off work a few days, but that will mainly be in bed. Hopefully I can improve over the weekend.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Jun 2020 01:34

Oh no! That sucks about the illness. Nothing serious I hope? On a positive note, you could potentially have more time to think about routines.

That Dark McGwire bit was from an Xzibit song, Front 2 Back, where he says: "Brothers can't swing this quick, I'm Dark McGwire". That line always cracks me up. So good. Of course, the reference is to Mark McGwire the baseball player.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 Jun 2020 13:48

Hopefully I don't become the city's only case of coronavirus. I doubt it, but I got a test for it yesterday, which is really not comfortable. They shove something up your nose towards the brain and that's not a great feeling, then they do it in the other nostril. As the cases in Australia are quite low I doubt it's that but you never know, so I'm home in bed a couple of days.

That's true, I do have a bit of time on my hands for thinking routines. I just got a message from Mathieu saying that my song for the routine in his comp was blocked in most countries. So I might try a different song. I'm not sure if that's going to be an issue for the Worlds events. Not sure it will be.

I'm going to try and make this day a productive one in terms of footbag and maybe in some other things. I have 1-4 days to hear about the results so preferably that comes sooner rather than later. Also preferably it's a negative result, obviously. The first productive thing is to complete the consecutive kicks comp and notify the prize winners.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Jun 2020 15:41

Wow, I really hope it is not coronavirus. Doesn't seem like it should be though, especially since as you mention you would be the only case meaning there is no one around you to give it to you.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 Jun 2020 20:46

I guess it's good that it's at the stage - I imagine same in NZ - where if you have any kind of symptoms they will give you a test. In the early days there were very specific guidelines on who could get a test (mainly people who had returned from overseas or who were close contact of somebody who had it).

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Jun 2020 23:52

Yeah it is good to know anyone can get tested now.

We have no cases in NZ, and it has been 21 days since the last person recovered. Apparently it we go 28 days then we have eliminated it.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Jun 2020 15:37

No Coronavirus for me. Good news.

Still haven't been very well the past few days. Each day I did a little bit of kicking but I lost energy really quickly (like after a few kicks). Things were a bit better yesterday. But anyway, that's good news.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Jun 2020 17:20

I've been in bed for about four days straight so I've had a bit of time on the computer.

http://sportslashlife.com/world-footbag ... 2000-2020/ - here are all the Worlds winning routines from 2000-2020. Some of them were not particularly easy to find. You really should just be able to type in "World Footbag Championships" of whatever year and have plenty come up, but it doesn't always work like that.

I've also done a new addition to the Footbag on Instagram posts which I have been doing - http://sportslashlife.com/footbag-on-in ... -may-2020/
Though what I haven't been doing much of is my own Footbag on Instagram posts. Might try and change that once I can get up and play again well.

I finished this other vlog, which is also from our trip to WA. So that's all complete and I got three videos from that trip, so that's good. I was beginning to delve into some old footage and came across some good runs, but I have a feeling some of them I had put on Instagram already. I'm hoping I can get in a decent session today, especially now that I have got the all clear. I'd like to have a bit of a think about routines.

I was really impressed with Mathieu's comp. I especially like the part where I was in second place for a short while, though that kept dropping down and down. I really liked in the video how he had everyone playing at the same time on their little screens. I finished up in eight place. I was mainly glad to get an entry, though it was my song that caused all the copyright flags, so I might go for a different song for my Worlds attempts. Since it was pretty much just shred, it won't make too much difference. I had a couple of good tricks in there and a couple of drops. I would like to get whatever I submit for Worlds to be without a drop. That could make things interesting depending on the total competitors and how well they all submit.

What I am strongly considering is going back to my song I used in 2010 for Worlds (Rage Against The Machine - Know Your Enemy). I will be in control of the music, so that will be a good start. I was first player up at that Worlds and there was something wrong with the speaker settings - in that song the sound changes from just on one speaker to the other, except in this case it just cut out completely. Oh the memories of that green carpet...

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 15 Jun 2020 13:36

boyle wrote:
14 Jun 2020 17:20
I've been in bed for about four days straight so I've had a bit of time on the computer.
Boo. At least it is not Coronavirus. That is a relief.
boyle wrote:
14 Jun 2020 17:20
What I am strongly considering is going back to my song I used in 2010 for Worlds (Rage Against The Machine - Know Your Enemy).
Interesting idea. Maybe I will consider something similar (especially considering the amount of time we have left!).
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Jun 2020 17:54

Alright, some progress. Very good progress actually. I have submitted my first round of Shred Off. It's ended up 3 clips. I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote that thing about 100 tricks. You wouldn't even do that in a 2 minute clip. I think I have about 40 tricks in mine over 3 clips. I'm really happy to get that in, as now it's done. It's a seeding round. I think I'd like to do maybe just one run for the next round if possible - or maybe like one long run and a short combo.

I've done some work on Shred 30 and had a "half decent" run through. The first half was running well, but then came the drops. It ended up being 163, which is actually higher than I've ever scored in a comp. I think 151 is my best, but I see around 200 being achievable. Especially if I can get it dropless. Even if it's mainly 3s but unique and not dropping, you can get a good score. I think 10 x 4 + 20 x 3 would get you on 200 if they were all unique.

Anyway this was the run. 3 drops in the end, which is of course too many. Maybe one drop is OK, but if you have all this time, might as well hope for a dropless.

dimwalk>blur>dimwalk>blur>parkwalk>sidewalk>ripwalk>sidewalk>ripwalk>ss butterfly>diving clipper>ducking clipper>diving clipper>ducking clipper>diving butterfly>ducking butterfly>DROP>butterfly>DROP>clipper>ducking osis>torque>butterfly (rpt)>whirl>drifter>pdx mirage>DROP>pixie ducking osis

So up to that second diving butterfly things were going great, however I tried to do it a second time and dropped it again. Only one repeat of a butterfly, so that's a good sign. I think there's still plenty of chance for improvement and there's a long while until Shred 30 is due.

I've chosen a song for a routine. I'm going to do a new routine rather than reworking old ones. Sick 3 is a work in progress. I've had some pretty good combos of 2 tricks, but obviously three tricks is a requirement of a sick 3.