Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by C-Fan » 20 Jul 2015 08:15

Glad you made it safely to Europe! Be seeing you in a week.
boyle wrote: We are off to Norway today, going to stay with my cousin. They live on a farm, so that should be a change of pace.
Cool. Here's a Norwegian TPP for you then. Madonna, by Edvard Munch. Was fascinated by it in high school, since her eyes alternately looked closed and serene, or like skullholes to me.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 22 Jul 2015 06:28

Taking it easy in Norway. There are lakes and mountains everywhere. How's the serenity....it has been great to stay with my cousin. A couple more days here, we will be in Copenhagen on Sunday. Catching the ferry over. I haven't done too much footbag in recent days, though I think it will be good to be well rested in time for worlds. I got a bit of video with some scenic background from the property here.

I am thinking I will riun this fearless challenge again. I saw Evan got 19 or so recently.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 Jul 2015 03:24

We are actually staying just around the corner from the Munch museum but doesn't look like we will have time to check it out.

So those days in the countryside were very relaxing. I did end up having one proper training session and it went quite well. I was going through my routine without the music (just playing along with the tune of the music in my head). I went through that dropless, which I was happy with. I also finished the same session with a bit of sick 3 practice. darkwalk>spinning ducking butterfly>spinning ducking osis was my final combo.

Off to Copenhagen today by ferry. It is awesome seeing everyone on Facebook making their way to Denmark. Looking forward to see everybody.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 26 Jul 2015 08:55

Worlds is on, worlds is awesome. Kicked in a circle with Jim, he is looking very strong. As for me stepping ducking gyro toe was cool once I finally did it. Darkwalk -- mobius was pretty good, and was happy to hit dimwalk from inside stall. Comp starts tomorrow, feeling pretty reasonable. My lavers have a massive crack in the sole, but they should last the week. I also did spinning pincher-swirl that was fun. Nothing filmed today but I will have some more in coming days. Our apartment is awesome and quite close to the event site. Very comfortable.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 27 Jul 2015 08:17

Made it to semi finals in circle. Very pleased with that. Hit darkwalk mobius in one of the strings, unfortunately dropped next trick. I had a very low seed because my official competition history in the last years is virtually empty. I felt pretty good playing today, had a good session in the afternoon, good to play with Alex Trenner again.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Jul 2015 11:33

Things didn't really go to plan today. Before coming over I felt well prepared for routines and shred 30, and didn't have much invested in circle. There were quite a few scratches which should have seen the pools redone in my opinion. Because if I had the luck of being in another pool, just showing up would have got a pass mark. Anyway, some of the others were calling it a pool of death before the action started. It was Sergio, me, Jakub from Poland, Rory Dawson, Brian, Mathias Blau and Milan.

Francisca had a toothache last night and went to the dentist this morning....and had a wisdom tooth removed. So I was looking after baby nico. To be honest I have done very little routine practice since arriving here, and as I prepared I was getting my cues confused with those from shred 30 or my plan from the circle. In the end I had 4 or 5 drops. A lot of people commented that they liked my routine.

I played to Parkway Drive, the song Looks Like Yoda. Someone asked who it was, I said a band from Australia. But they are not just that anymore, they are probably the biggest band in that genre, definitely eclipsing bands like unearth, killswitch engage. Maybe Hatebreed you would say are bigger but they are kind of in a different world.

Anyway, I digress. My routine worked ok, but there were a couple of drops. I made a kind of big entrance, as hardcore bands do, swinging guitars etc. I just walked in jumped a few times and presented the footbag.

I have felt like an absolute dickhead doing that in my garage, but I think people liked it. Too many drops in the end though, and it was the same story with shred 30.

Unfortunately today I didn't really get to play with anyone in a circle. I had a bit of a chat with Nis Petersen, I really liked his routine. We were in the circle together yesterday, it was only a couple of points between us.

It's very different bringing the family to Worlds. I think the next time I go I will just go it alone. Derek asked me a good question today...what's the next big event to go to. They are a bit fewer and further beween in our part of the world unfortunately.

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 28 Jul 2015 11:45

boyle wrote: Anyway, I digress. My routine worked ok, but there were a couple of drops. I made a kind of big entrance, as hardcore bands do, swinging guitars etc. I just walked in jumped a few times and presented the footbag.

I have felt like an absolute dickhead doing that in my garage, but I think people liked it. Too many drops in the end though, and it was the same story with shred 30.

YES so much YES. i hope someone filmed that?

Darkwalk>mobius is a tasty link, nice work to hit that in comp.

Thanks for taking the time to post Dan, hoping yourself & everyone else out there are having the time of their lives, tooth aches aiside.

Tell that Jimbo kid good luck for me 8)

Keep crushing it dude!
Kevin Hogan

BSC

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 04 Aug 2015 00:41

I really liked your routine and I thought your game looked strong through out the tournament.

I wish we had talked more footbag but I was basicly either stressed the hell out or drunk the whole time. Next time!

Thanks for making the long trip!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 04 Aug 2015 10:46

Thanks mate. Glad to make the journey over. Was a long way. Felt happy with how I played in general, but would have liked to play more. Ken and Evan mentioned the difficulty of the partner balancing act, which is of course harder with a little bloke. He has been pretty good overall on the tour. We are in Berlin now, just taking it pretty easy.

I liked Evan's theme of wins and losses. So let's have a look at my performance.

Circles were first, I had one of the lowest rankings in the tournament after a long absence from the competitive scene and not much in terms of results.

So I have written a bit already about it, but I just beat out Nis by about a point. It was really close but I think my fall on the matting might have given me some extra consideration. I was very happy to reach the next round where I faced Evan, Taishi and Santeri. I really wanted to push Santeri, and maybe even beat him, considering he had been playing net for three hours just before the contest. There ended up being 1 point in it, so I definitely gave him a push. I will take that as a win, because getting through to the next round was unexpected and I didn't really waste any turn.

Routines, it's a loss, I wanted to pass to the next round, that's what I was focused on, but my focus was way off. I would have loved another chance to show that routine.

It was a very hard pool considering the number 5 of the pool reached the final.

On watching the video I am pretty happy with my performance. I missed some cues or just skipped some completely, but ended with four drops. The best part was that many people seemed to enjoy my routine, so that part could be chalked as a step toward victory.

Shred 30 was a loss, despite it being my best score. I had a well planned thing, but couldn't execute. My planned shred, which I have hit dropless more than once, would have scored around 200, I ended up with 141 I think. 150 was my low level of target, so I was disappointed not to get that. Too many drops.

Golf was a loss by forfeit, we went and did family stuff that morning and that was quite good.

Request was about what I expected. I got out on spimnning osis pdx torque. I don't do pdx torque often so I got myself jumbled up.

Sick 1 and sick 3 can probably be marked as a loss also. I hit phoenix as a sick 1, which was one of the lowest of anyone, but still beats Jim Penske not hitting nemesis rake. Which is like when we played pool earlier in the week, and he sunk the black. I was tryin food processor late in the count, that would have really boosted me up the rankings if I got that. Just after the contest I hit sailing butterfly kicking with Phil. It was a rare opportunity to probably be playing better than the Red Rocket himself, so that was a good feeling. Chalk that one up as a victory in a competition only known by me.

On sick 3 I hit dimwalk blur paradon. This put me at number 8 on the short list of people that actually hit a combo. That was my plan b safety combo. I came close to my main plan of darkwalk spin duck butter spin duck osis.

Despite all these losses, it was great to simply be there. I think next year is probably not so likely, but maybe the following one. I don't want to wait another five years to go again. I do also like the idea of going to a smaller tournament rather than worlds.

Nice to meet many people, and especially to reconnect with people I met at the Berlin worlds, especially the Austrian crew who had a really good turnout.

The biggest loss I can chalk up is the day after tge video contest. I went a bit too hard on the drink, invited the whole world to a dinner at our apartment. By the time I spewed on the street on the way to the zoo, I decided I would not worry about any dinner...

I have typed this up on a tablet so it may come out a bit odd.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 06 Aug 2015 10:22

Got to kick in Berlin with Rory Dawson and Jacob Wagner. It got really dark so that cut things short a bit early. In London now. Not sure if I will get any kicking in here.

Lycanthrope
BSOS Beast

Post by Lycanthrope » 07 Aug 2015 00:46

boyle wrote: Sick 1 and sick 3 can probably be marked as a loss also. I hit phoenix as a sick 1, which was one of the lowest of anyone, but still beats Jim Penske not hitting nemesis rake.
8O 8O
:lol:
That made me laugh harder than anything I've seen on these forums. Goddamn, Dan, that was raw and true.

Sorry to hear that the balancing act was hard for everyone. I tried to talk to Francisca and Haley a fair bit to try to make it less weird for the muggles. ;)
Evan 'OP' Gatesman

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 07 Aug 2015 02:09

Good to have a laugh. I also beat Jim in pool in a similar fashion, he sunk the black. Multiple times. What made things hard, not just at worlds but in general on this trip is that Francisca has not been at 100%. To get a wisdom tooth out was a bit of an unpleasant surprise.

I think this may even be a barrier to entry for girls getting into the sport. I talked to a few people in recent weeks about why there are so few girls into it. I don't really have an answer but I think we could improve inn general the vibe for all spectators, but particularly those close to the players . Although a lot of the time a partner will say oh that's their thing, go have fun with your toys etc. I think there's something to be done in regards to that though I don't know exactly what.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Aug 2015 04:48

Back in Australia now- A long trip to come back home. The flight from Helsinki to Bangkok was very rough, had a night there and that was good. Place had a pool so we were able to relax. Did a couple of footbag tricks. pixie ducking osis>pdx blender was a new link I think.

Going to go to sleep shortly, hopefully will get back into rhythm soon enough. Got a new pair of Lavers in the mail when I arrived. That worked well.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Aug 2015 00:08

I mentioned a few things here and there during worlds and did my win-loss summary, but I might post a detailed writeup of Worlds, as there's every chance it might be another five years before I go again.

It will be a good help on the thought process of how was the journey. After being back and having a good rest, getting back into the timezone etc, it was a pretty good trip overall.

We were in Finland and Norway before Copenhagen, despite no footbag, Helsinki was awesome, we caught up with some old friends and had a great time with them. We then went on to the Norwegian countryside, picked blueberries from the side of a path, swam in a river and generally had a good time with my cousin and his little family.

We stayed one night in Oslo. I was hoping to go and see a couple of museums but we didn't really have enough time to get out there. Another time. We caught the boat from Oslo to Copenhagen, and this was a great way to travel. We had a beer on deck as we went out of the Oslo harbour, then a meal later on. We had our own room and everything, so it was a nice change from the seat on a plane. It was great to actually lie down on a bed and have a proper sleep on an overnight trip. In reality this was one of the best sleeps I had the whole time away.

When we arrived in Copenhagen, the weather wasn't great, it was quite windy and rain looked fairly possible. I hadn't looked too much into how far it would be to walk across from our boat to our place.

After we got there, with all our luggage, maybe taxi, bus, metro or any other option would have been better than walking the 4.4km. I had a map but I hadn't looked up the way properly, and the dear wife was not so happy by the time we got there.

We got into our place and it was perfect for our needs. It was probably better than I expected, and it was much cheaper than a lot of other places I had been looking at. It worked out at about $85 (Aus) per night, which was pretty good value.

In reflection of the high prices in Australia, I didn't really find Scandinavia particularly expensive. It was expensive, but I expected to be shocked. I guess I have been desensitsed to high costs. The other things was that we had enough money to make an enjoyable trip. I received my tax return just before leaving, or maybe in the first days of my travels, so I really had little concern about spending. Despite that, you don't want to blow things out too much, so we didn't go overboard.

Anyway, apartment was good. The girl had recommended some places to eat, so we went in search of one. The one we planned on going to was closed, but there was another place just across the road and I ate a massive pizza there. That would come to haunt me while I was kicking later on.

We had planned to go to a supermarket to stock up, but we walked a few doors down and there was the event site, which was within this Park for Diversity, which is one of the main things that Francisca wanted to visit while there. Convenient.

We went into the event site to do the registration, but there was nobody there at the desk when we had passed by. Went in and said some hellos. People were playing four square and a few kicking but there weren't so many people in the gym. I jumped in to that game as Ken went out, but then the game was finishing up, so I remained undefeated in that...

Caroline was one of the first to greet us in the hall, and said "Welcome to worlds", as if it was her carnival or something like this. Derek came up and was very enthusiastic in his introduction. He was one of the people I was really looking forward to meeting. Vasek came in a bit later on, and he was just like OH MY GOD, and went over and did his best fanboy act.

Considering there are not really any fans of footbag who aren't players or their immediate family, it's great to see that enthusiasm from people. You don't see it much. I guess Jay Boychuk would have been a classic example in years gone by.

Didn't do any kicking then, went to actually find a supermarket, and was able to do the registration as we were going out of the gym, stopped by for the first of many chicken sandwiches and saw Tuukka and a few others.

After the shopping trip I came back by myself to the gym, and it seemed the shred was really winding down. It seemed that Derek had called time on the session at least twelve times beforehand, but he wanted to take the opportunity to kick with me. I asked him if he had a bag, and he passed over his bag of bags. At first I was just going to catch it with a clipper as it had come across at a good angle for that, but I was able to set it up and do quite a long run with the bag full of bags.

Derek had to retire hurt after a few rounds, but I kicked for a while with Matt Emmings, he was a nice guy. He was doing a lot of rake related runs, very smooth with them. I was feeling the pizza still there in my belly in these sessions. I think a couple of other people came in and out but things were winding down and some people were suggesting to play outside. I thought that sounded good, and was waiting for the people to be playing outside, but that never appeared.

Jim Penske had arrived and was looking to shred and I thought that was not something to pass up. We ended up in a cirlce with Jim, Andres Nawrath and Jakub from Poland. I thought that Jim looked in really good form, and I'm not sure if that was only because it was the first "star" player I was kicking with, but I thought when it came to the crunch he didn't perform that well in the comps (though he still came out with two bronze medals, so he must have done OK).

What was good for me about that circle was that I didn't feel out of place. Penske was completely killing it, and the rest of us were just going along, a few highlights here and there, don't remember anything particular of note right now.

The party that night was in a park by the cemetery. On one map I saw, it seemed the park was in the cemetery, but that was not the case. I got there quite early, despite getting quite lost on the way (this became a bit of a theme).

I talked to Tuukka a while in the early part of the party, talking family life and he was quite drunk so he was expressing his love for the family and everything and I told him at one stage that I was reading old posts in this blog and he said he had relatives in Canberra and was planning a visit some time. Still waiting...

We went to a bar later in the night. Most people just waited outside, but I was playing pool, I teamed up with Alex V and we beat Jim Penske and Daryl. De-fault de-fault (through the sinking of the black, more than once).

Wandered home after a while in the bar, with the first of the competitions the next day. Didn't get too drunk, and also didn't injure myself while jumping over a really high fence, as I did in Berlin 2009.

That might be enough for now, I will talk competitions in the coming days.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 15 Aug 2015 06:44

The next day was the first day of competition, with circle as the opening event. As mentioned, I didn't get too drunk on the opening night party so I felt pretty good. I hadn't played much the day before either, so I wasn't too sore.

I was very conscious about when to start warming up, and mainly hoped things would kick off on time, as I was in the first pool.

All through the event, things generally started pretty well on time, which is really important for things like warming up, and just simply being there.

I was kicking with Derek and Alex, and a highlight of this little kick was a 95 contact tiltless run. I was just trying to get the legs flowing and do some strong tiltless runs, before getting into the contest.

I was the lowest seed in my pool, and one of the lowest in the entire event. Just before going on, they asked which bag to use, I did a short but fairly dense run and the other guys sort of looked and said...I don't know why you're seeded so low.

The reality is I haven't been in many official contests of late, so I'm pretty much equivalent to a new player, according to my seeding. And my previous Worlds ventures were not particularly positive on the results front.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU2fzgMA0U0[/youtube]

Here is my round, pools A and b are here. Mathieu did such a great job having everything up for the viewers at home to see directly, that would have been awesome if I wasn't there.

Better to be there though. I was really happy with the average length of my runs. My thought process from when we were in Norway was about how many contacts on average I would need to make a good impression, and I think 10-12 should be good. I was right around that in the variety round.

I mentioned in the density that I hit darkwalk>mobius in one run, but then dropped the next trick. In this same turn, the other guys barely got more than 3 contacts either. I think if I had have been able to continue that run.

The final turn, I was testing the theory about just doing continuous ripwalks being just as dense about hitting a wide variety of tricks. Unfortunately I had a slip after doing a few in a row. Fortunately for all the next rounds, there was a change in playing surface and that wasn't something to worry about for the future.

I'm quite happy with how I played in all the rounds of Circle. I wasn't particularly confident about going through, but I had a feeling I may take the round, though I thought it would be close. Consider there was one point between me and Nis, I was right. At the time I though Alex performed quite poorly, especially being the top seed, but one of his runs was probably the best of any of us. He had a couple of wasted turns though.

It was interesting having the top players go through directly. I'm not sure if it meant there was more opportunity, or more pressure for players in those qualifying pools. Usually you are in there, and there's a bloke who may win the whole thing, and a couple of others vying for another spot.

Later in the afternoon they announced who was going through, and just by coincidence, a lot of us were sitting nearby each other. Most of us were also not really expecting to pass, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Verena and Hania were wanting to kick but by the time everything got sorted out, they had cooled down again. I got to have a good kick with Alex Trenner, it was great to see him again, he was an awesome host both times when I was in Vienna.

As my last run in that circle, I hit my planned shred 30, probably about 26 contacts of it. If only it went that way the next day in competition.

Because routines were the next day, I wanted to take it pretty easy. Unfortunately during the night, Francisca complained that her tooth was hurting quite a lot. I thought it couldn't be too bad, and told her to see someone in the morning if the pain was still going on.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 16 Aug 2015 19:32

boyle wrote:
Derek came up and was very enthusiastic in his introduction. He was one of the people I was really looking forward to meeting. Vasek came in a bit later on, and he was just like OH MY GOD, and went over and did his best fanboy act.

Considering there are not really any fans of footbag who aren't players or their immediate family, it's great to see that enthusiasm from people. You don't see it much. I guess Jay Boychuk would have been a classic example in years gone by.
This warmed my soul so very much, thank you <3 You were also one of the people I was ecstatic about meeting, and thankful for all the chills/shreds we got in. Stoked that I happen to be around when some of your highlights occurred, your bag of bags strings was one of my favorites of the event. Australia is on my bucket list, so if I don't die anytime soon(or you, for that matter), shall be hearing from me in the future. Till then, or another event!
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 17 Aug 2015 01:08

I don't plan on death anytime soon, come for a visit!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 19 Aug 2015 00:01

I will continue my writeup in a moment, but some more recent news first.

- Last session I had I was able to do ducking BOP (ie toe ducking butterfly>ducking osis> ducking pdx mirage rpt), after a long long time. I thought it would be much easier, but it took me quite some time.

- A big news item is that a big bomb went off in Bangkok. We were there last week, which is a bit scary to think about, though we weren't in the same area.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRnQ_BidFqg[/youtube]

I put together this little video, I went out for the day with Baby Nico while Francisca was shopping. So he makes an appearance in the video. Quite a few appearances as a matter of fact.

Will save my next step of Worlds writeup for next post, but a few interesting things on modified. This competition survey is quite interesting. I had one thought, many players stop competing at Worlds once they have done their dash. Honza is a good example, and Evan implied the possibility in recent posts on Modified.

I don't think that really helps anything, the world championships should be defined by all the best players in the world.

Really enjoyed the post from Asmus about the organising of the event itself. It would be great to see that every year, I don't know if I've ever seen that done before.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 19 Aug 2015 21:31

Short session today at uni. Highlights - flurry on both sides (quite easily as well, it's not something I've done for ages). I also did alpine blurry whirl. So that was a pretty good session, except that on four different occasions I dropped at the 38th contact (usually going for long tiltless. I have the target of 200 in mind and I hope to break that within the next 1-2 months).

I'll get to my worlds writeup in a moment, but I would like to mention something quite strange. I went back and did my first tour back at the AIS. That went quite well, I gave a footbag demonstration, did have a couple of drops. One on a pincher and one on spinning ducking osis. At the end they wanted to see a bit more, so I had a very good run and wanted to finish it with something significant, so I went for mullet, but that didn't work at all.

Anyway, apparently on two different occasions while I was away people (that weren't related or knew me in anyway) talked about me as a "famous" footbag player. If only they would get in touch for a kick...

Anyway, so I covered the first day, walking for ages, kicking with Jim Penske, and winning at pool by default. This is a quick recap for the TL;DR viewers. Day 2 was circle comp and I upset my seed, which was the lowest in the group, and won my pool. That day was a good kick with Alex Trenner and others.

Tuesday was routines, and that was the day my planning had been around. As mentioned in the previous night, Francisca had been complaining of pain in the tooth the previous evening. I think Nicolas was also having trouble in the night, so there was minimal sleep already.

There was still pain in the morning, so I was looking after Nicolas while Francisca went to the dentist. We went down to the park for a while. The parkland around the area where the venue was, that was pretty great, there were also two parks between our place and the event site, so plenty of variety.

I think there was a bit of rain that morning, which didn't help proceedings. I tried playing the song a few times, just to think about my flow of the routine. Francisca came back later in the morning with one wisdom tooth less, and with quite a lot of pain, so I took Nicolas down to the event site, planning to just get Caroline to look after Nicolas if I got to the point where I had to go on and she hadn't come yet.

I saw some routines, but come to think of it I wasn't paying that much attention, I was getting a bit concerned about my own plan. I think the routine pools were only announced that same day, and mine was definitely not going to be easy. I was one seed outside the cutoff, so I was going to have to work hard.

The pool was Sergio, me, Jakub M, Rory Dawson, Brian Bear, Mathias Blau, Milan

I think I was looking at it with Brian and Rory and they were just like, this is the pool of death. I think I knew I would be seeded outside that cutoff, so I knew I needed a good routine to get through. I also though a good routine and some mistakes from someone else might get me by.

By this stage Milan hadn't shown up, and we had heard some brief word of troubles for him. In the early days of the tournament, there were various murmurings of troubles for all Czech competitors. I told Jim, it's a smokescreen, if they're here, they'll be here to compete. So we hoped for a reprieve that could see Milan not be there, no such luck.

Francisca arrived at around the time I wanted to start warming up. I went out to that main hall so I could be by myself a bit. I got out there and started getting ready and realised I hadn't even put my Lavers on yet. It was definitely raining that morning because I wore the other shoes so the rainwater didn't come through the crack in my soles.

My practice runs were going so bad. The day before Evan showed me his routine in pretty well the same place. He asked for a bit of advice. I felt quite privileged to be asked for that, and I told him that his timing on the shuffle run was not right on the beat. Mads Hole expanded this to say that if that part is perfect, it makes the rest of the routine better. I also told him he would have to hit it dropless to win.

Anyway, the chasm between the quality could be seen the following day in the circle contest, but I was struggling in this warmup, and getting really frustrated. Lots of drops, and lots of simply losing the plot in the choreo. Jakub came by and he was like, "hey you´re using a heavy song, that's awesome." I expected him to also using something heavy, but he had a classical piece you may be familiar with by now.

Anyhow, I try to get into some kind of zone. Francisca had asked about a pharmacy, and Mads Hole was able to point her in the right direction. She hadn't come back by the time our pool was starting, so I was getting a bit concerned that she had got lost or had some problem.

In the end the family barely saw any of my competition, which I was a bit disappointed in. Anyway, it was getting to the end of the previous pool and a couple of people had scratched and they said, "everybody in this pool goes to the next round." It would have been good to be in that pool, but that's exactly the luck of the draw.

I think there were 3 scratchings, bringing the total competitors to 25, so I think there should have been a reshuffle of the pools (5 x 5). Makes it a bit hard at the last moment, but I still needed to do a really great routine. That didn't happen unfortunately.

I'm going to pause my memory and go and watch the routine right now. I have watched it a bunch of times already, but this will give me a fresh view.

You, dear reader, can have a fresh view too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-PgXgXdu2M[/youtube]

I will first mention the drops (x3)

the first drop was on a torque. What the real problem was that I went to play on quickly and played quite a number of my tricks with my back to the audience, right up the back of the space, which I think is really poor use of the performance area.

the torque was the start of a short segment which finishes with toe taps, which I dropped the first of. At least the torque is a reasonable trick to drop on. I was able to recover quickly, do some more taps and get back in to the motions, right on one of the heaviest part of the song. The plan here was phoenix>ripwalk>stepping ss clipper>op butterfly>rev swirl then another clipper and blurry whirl.

The outcome was a bit different. Something like phoenix>ripwalk>sidewalk>stepping toe and then a ducking clipper in place of the blurry whirl. I was way out of touch with my plan, and also behind on my timing.

The third drop was on a wrap. Get rid of those two drops on such easy tricks, and I think you have quite a different routine. I was off though. My legs were shaking early on, I was quite nervous. And despite all my preparation before going to Europe, I wasn't able to prepare as well as I hoped in the week leading up to Worlds, then I focused more on the other events and just general kicking once I was actually there.

I finished really well I felt, I didn't have a big final trick, I had a series of medium-ish tricks (dimwalk>ripwalk>sidewalk>ripwalk>revup) which I hit right where I wanted to. I caught the bag and almost went to throw it up in the air and celebrate, but I think I knew already that I wasn't going through to the next round, so I caught myself and some people gave me some fives.

The best part was people were into the use of a heavy song. I made my entrance and people liked that. Many people have said they really liked my routine, which makes me happy. Also, up until watching the video multiple times, I thought there were four drops in the routine. So a three drop routine at worlds is pretty good, especially considering there was almost a minute without dropping. Better than I've done before. Still, a lot of mistakes, and the two 5's I had in the plan, were simply absent. Also, there was meant to be a combo of DATW>dbl switch, and that just didn't work out at all either.

Hopefully we'll do a Nationals here this year, and I'll do that routine again, and I'll do it better.

Anyway, I watch the next couple of routines, Jakub was doing really well, it was one or zero drops, I knew he would definitely beat his seeds, so I had to think bad thoughts about the next ones above. I was watching Rory, and I saw his was generally better than mine, though there were more drops, about 5 or 6. I thought that could have been a chance. I'm also wondering where is Francisca, and getting concerned something has happened to her.

So I miss the last few routines. I got out looking for the pharmacy and I can't find the stupid thing. I'm walking on and on, thinking that Francisca must have got really frustrated if she couldn't find it. Eventually I go back to the event site, the stroller and things are back, but she is not. We eventually reunite and she tells me, that Czech guy in your pool was incredible. He of course, went on to win.

I stayed in that night to help with Nicolas and Francisca and her tooth. I sure made up for a couple of nights in the following night. Oh, I forgot to mention Shred 30 was on that day. I was quite disappointed with how I went.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Aug 2015 03:23

I have a rare night off so I will kick on with my report.

So we had the arrival day, Circle the first day and Routines the next day. I was joking with someone I would have to find out when the Circle semis were on, because I wasn't expecting to be there. I had thought they started at 4, but they weren't on til 5. I'm not sure if that was my mistake, or one of the few delays in the comp, or a mistake in the announcing.

Anyway, considering pretty well everybody except me (and a few others) made it through to the next round, it was going to be a pretty similar show, so I wasn't that concerned about watching. I watched a few routines. I think I arrived around when Brian was doing his routine. There were a lot of drops. Actually, I saw some before that. There were a lot of drops in them too. I coulda been a contender, I thought. I wasn't though, so I continued watching. Ken was on next, and I thought he would breeze through considering Brian had a pretty poor run, where he had a real chance to put some hard pressure on.

You can read Ken's blog for the following, but he made it to the finals in the end, so whatever works...I kicked with Ken and Taishi in a circle a little while after. They were two people I was really looking forward to kicking with.

I was in a few other circles that day as well, and did some warmup ahead of the competition with Evan. I had walked past the net courts a couple of times to get my sandwich, or to go to the bathroom, and saw that Santeri had been playing on and on and on and on. I hoped that he was going to have a case of the dreaded Net Legs, which may put him off his game.

I also warmed up for a while on the playing surface. After the debacle on my first day, I wanted to be reasonably used to the surface. I think I just played my routine and nothing more on there.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZqx0w8uYJw[/youtube]

I just set my gopro on the table while I was getting into things, so unfortunately you see a lot of table, but you've got a few stars in there. Milan, Nick, Jim, etc.

Anyway, I didn't have much expectation with a pool of Evan, Taishi and Santeri. My main hope was to give Santeri a good challenge. I think I've mentioned it, but in the end there was only one point in it, and I had a couple of 20+ contact runs with a few good tricks in there. Happy to be in it, was pleased with my performance. Would have been nice to get an extra point and say I was top 10 in one of the main events.

Since I was in the last pool and keen to play on a bit more, I got a beer and kicked on a bit long. Andreas Nawrath was the main person I was kicking with. He hit atomic dlo for the first time. I thought he would have already done that before. He also did pixie ducking dlo. I would like to hit that. I don't know if I had any highlights from that session, but I was ready for some beers.

Francisca was improving, so I had the leave pass to go over to the movie night. It seemed it would take a while to get over to the venue. I vaguely looked at the map, got on a bus then a metro and was in the area. From there I didn't really know where to go, so just wandered in the general direction until I met some footbag players. It didn't take too long.

Had a good chat with Dorota at the start, then they had these little shots everytime you drank a beer for slightly more than just a beer. I had a lot of drinks. One real highlight of my whole trip to Europe was that Justin Sexton told me that the tour last year was one of the best things to happen in footbag for about ten years.

That was something special to hear, I was pretty happy about that. And it wasn't just the beer. Or the shots.

I got kebabs with Anton and Johnny Sarah after that. Justin arrived there with some others and I asked them if they knew who he was. I told them HE INVENTED FOOTBAG IN EUROPE. That might have been the shots, and might not have been technically true. Still, an important figure over the years.

So from there I knew it was a bit of a walk to get back to our place, but a walk should sober me up. Unfortunately I walked for about an hour in the wrong direction...