Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by boyle » 25 Apr 2021 15:02

I have been playing a bit lately, but not as much as I would like, and not really with time for proper serious sessions. There's been a bit of mention of the Facebook group, Worlds will be a little later this year, I believe most of the comp will be through August and the final show in September.

I've started a little live blog thing which could be an interesting thing to tap away on. At the moment I'm just experimenting with a new plugin, but it seems to have some good potential.

https://sportslashlife.com/footbag-news-live-blog/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNtq0K-pq-M/

What I haven't done so much of lately is posting anything at all really. Here's a run from a week or so ago. We've had a big week, it was Jasmine's birthday, so we had a party for that and had some family down earlier in the week.

I went to the gym a while and had a session with a trainer, they gave me a few good exercises. I'll give a more detailed writeup in the future.

Some ones that were quite interesting - heel raise - he said I was actually quite week in this area. I would have thought most of my leg/foot areas would be pretty strong. Something the guy commented on is that I need to take things slow and steady, particularly coming back down, I am sometimes rushing my movements too much - funnily enough, I do that in footbag too. He also gave me some tips on the squat technique, he said my feet were coming in too much, I seem to be improving that a bit.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Apr 2021 10:28

Great idea with the new blog. That sounds fun.
What is the trainer for? Just general fitness? Or an injury?

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Apr 2021 21:48

yeah, just general fitness. We've been going to the gym for a while now, and it came free with joining up, but I hadn't made use of it yet. I guess it was time to let people tell me what to do!

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 01 May 2021 20:37

Love the clip

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 May 2021 02:50

Been a little while since I've posted something in. I've had a bit of a busy time lately. I keep coming to write something but many other things on the to do list.

I've been playing a bit but not in any real proper training way. A couple of others have said it, but I'm glad Worlds is a bit later in the year. I'm going to be organising some sideline events and some of them could be a bit of fun. Hopefully they will be, anyway, and hopefully people go in them, otherwise that's a waste of time.

Had some friends and family come and visit, it was a real non stop weekend, it was like we were always getting ready for someone to arrive.

I've started to have a think about my routine. I thought I had a song chosen but I've been chopping and changing on ideas, so I haven't made a huge amount of progress there.

You know what I went to a little while back, a concert.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COmtYpqpfDy/

Hadn't done that in a time. It was like a 90s throwback festival with classic Australian bands. Grinspoon, Frenzal Rhomb, Jebediah, Custard (if you watch the kids show Bluey, the Dad is the singer of this band). It was good fun. With the 90s theme I'm considering asking if I can do some kind of footbag thing in the later shows - there are more happening later in the year.

Here's a short run from after school sometime last week.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPCyUpHpZd-/

I took a look at the Tokyo Shredder Gathering combos - I was able to get at least one of the top level, but I realised I have to put TSG or say it in the background and I haven't done that as yet. Maybe something for tomorrow.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 25 May 2021 07:55

That witchdoctor looked way too easy. That's such a deceptively difficult trick!
I've seen YouTube videos from Ken and TJ about TSG -- was this an online event that Ken and TJ competed in? I didn't see anything about it anywhere except here and in the titles of their YouTube vids.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 May 2021 19:00

https://footbag.jp/tsg18/ - They are running a request contest. Normally this is only a comp for Japanese nationals. I will hopefully submit a video in coming days, looks like the period runs to early June.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Jun 2021 17:54

I put in some entries for the Tokyo Shredder Gathering. I saw a few on here have made a nice edit, I was going to do that, but then I just posted individually on Twitter. A lot of the Japanese players seem to be quite active on Twitter.

Here's a link https://twitter.com/capitaleyes/status/ ... 7098577920 - I don't think you can really embed Twitter posts in here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPwk1swp37X/

Instagram you can, so here's some action from this morning. I started with thoughts of doing a 20x20 session, but just couldn't get the flow going, I think I only got 3 20+ runs. It was quite cold this morning so I really struggled to actually have my feet warm. Not just "warmed up" ready to play, but really cold feet.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 12 Jun 2021 14:27

Nice run! Makes me want to work on ducking osis and spinning ducking!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 20 Jun 2021 14:38

Ahh, super neat that they opened up submissions for TSG! I guess I don't follow enough footbaggers on Instagram to know what's going on, but it also sounds like that's where most of all the current footbag video content is these days. Anyway, great combos and videos as usual!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 Jun 2021 01:21

Yeah, it was really cool because TSG has always been a "closed" (Japanese players only) event. Looks like there's plenty of players active in Japan at the moment - most of them seem to be busy a lot on Twitter, some on Instagram too. There's a real bunch of players on Instagram, nice little community there.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 Jun 2021 01:10

I am on school holidays now. That's very exciting. I'm only working 3 days at one school and the other school is already on break, so today was a day off. I went to the gym with a plan of doing a "Sprint Triathlon (750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run). Didn't quite get that much, but did a bit of each and had a kick in there too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQe_8zlpCRh/

I did 5km run, 8km bike, 350m swim. It was pouring with rain today so was good to go but I think soon I might pack in my gym membership. I will save it across the holidays and try and use it a bit more but I'm not feeling I'm getting enough use for the considerable amount of money that it costs. I can do plenty of exercise myself, though as the winter weather comes it can be handy to keep an indoor space available.

Hopefully over the holidays I get to have some proper sessions. We'll go down the coast and stay with Dad (as long as there is not a covid lockdown, which is probably a toss of the coin), here in Canberra and down there, it's zero cases (and has stayed like that for about a year), but there is a bit of spread happening in Sydney, which could be a problem.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 07 Jul 2021 00:58

Hmm, it's been a time since I've posted. I'm working in the hostel tonight and I've started up with zero checkins. The borders are closed, Sydney is in lockdown so not too many customers coming in! We have had our first time of wearing masks here in Canberra since there is usually a lot of travel between Sydney and Canberra. There haven't been any cases here so they are going to take the mask restrictions off in a couple of days.

I've made a few posts on my site in recent times.

My monthly wrap up for Instagram posts - https://sportslashlife.com/footbag-on-i ... june-2021/ (Which for the eagle eyed I haven't done for a number of months, want to get back into that habit).

An interview with Zach Forth about his videos that he has been doing lately. https://sportslashlife.com/footbag-inte ... ach-forth/

Another interview. This one is with the guys from "Hackying the System". They are based in Queensland and do a lot of programs based around barefoot, balance and hacky sack. https://sportslashlife.com/footbag-inte ... he-system/

So Worlds is coming up. Need to get my act together for that, I feel I'm a long way off where I would like to be. I don't think I've been playing particularly well the times I have been playing and I don't think I've been playing enough.

Here's a little run from last week. The camera work is a bit wobbly because that's what you get when you entrust your child to those duties!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQunHC7A65H/

A few more days remaining of the school holidays. Back to business next week. I'm changing up my schedule a bit next week, so far I've been working 4 days in total, but I'm upping that to 4 days on one class + the one day teaching PE at the other school. Not really so sure how I feel about that, but we'll see how it goes. I think for next year I'd like to drop things back down to 4 days in total. Although there's not much on here in the hostel tonight I'm trying to work on my own little projects rather than doing schoolwork - which would be more productive, but there'll be time for that...

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 07 Jul 2021 11:48

Thanks for the instagram updates! The editing on that one from the farm was hilarious.. sampling the chickens for the music :lol:

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Jul 2021 04:56

I played today, did a bit towards Worlds. The shred off qualifying section has begun - you just go for 30 seconds. That's an interesting one - do you go for just one long run, a couple of strong combos mixed together - not really short what the best is. You could also just do a Shred 30, that might work. My general thought was to get a reasonbly unique trick + a decent run of fair density.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRcpKtWgwce/

This was not my run but a decent run anyway.

I did some good warmups this morning to.

Alternating clipper drill (1, 2, 3... up to 11)
30 legovers
30 butterflies
10 x inside stall>clipper stall
there were a couple of others that I can't recall right now.

Hopefully I will get a bit of time for kicking in the coming weeks. I guess I need to change that statement. I plan on making time for kicking. I guess that's more down to the point.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 19 Jul 2021 19:11

boyle wrote:
18 Jul 2021 04:56
I played today, did a bit towards Worlds. The shred off qualifying section has begun - you just go for 30 seconds.
Thanks for the reminder! Gotta get this going! I'm not sure what I will do either. I'm thinking one longish run and then a few shorter and higher intense ones.

Nice run. I like the homely feeling to the vids you make in your yard.

EDIT: Just read through the rules for worlds. Since no one will be eliminated from the submission round, maybe there is no use of pushing too hard. In fact, pushing hard now may put you into an undesirable pool which could just get you eliminated quicker. Who knows.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 21 Jul 2021 03:08

yeah, it's a challenging one. I think I had enough to add a very short run to what I already had. I don't know if that will really bump me up or just keep me in the same place.

Went to the gym yesterday, I haven't really been going enough and was strongly considering to stop going, but we've had a real run of rainy weather so I'm keeping it "in case of a rainy day" as I don't have great indoor spaces here at home. I was also thinking mainly about the cost of it and I got a decent amount of money back from my tax return.

Anyway, I got some decent kicking in there, also did the following set of exercises which worked up a good sweat. It was a ladder of

1 x push up, 1 x lunge, 1 x squat, 10 skips with skipping rope, 10 contact footbag run
2, 2, 2, 20, 20
up to 5, 5, 5, 50, 50.

All the skipping I did quite easily but unfortunately had a few drops in the footbag runs, but just picked it up and continued until I reached the number. I was also planning on going up to 10 but I'd already done a few other things so 5 was enough. A lot of the time lately I hadn't really had enough time in my gym session, but I was able to spend a bit longer there yesterday so that was quite good.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 06 Aug 2021 04:51

Alright, I'm loading up my entry for the Shred Off. I'm in a pool with Derek and Sergio which is an interesting one, as in previous years I would have been reasonably confident there, but but those guys have really upped their game and I'm not really happy with my form lately.

At least today I got in a decent session with some reasonable tricks. Didn't get so many high density runs, but a couple of the tricks I hit were: spinning swirl, ducking gyro toe, pixie diving motion, and a few others.

I haven't posted my previous entry. Like many others, I didn't see it was only 30 seconds including the intro. Oops.

I just finished up running the athletics carnival for one school that I work at, right on theme with the Olympics. Too bad it's all coming to an end. The channel with the coverage here has these little "minis" so that's been good. I enjoyed the park events much more than the street in the skateboarding and the BMX - the street events didn't seem to have a good format. Australia got gold in BMX and skateboarding. We've had one of our best ever games which has been enjoyable watching.

I'm mainly glad I have had a bit of time to get some kicking in over these last few days, so that's a positive. What I will have to check out is that I hit a sick 3, which could be a decent go for me, but I decided to use it in my entry - hopefully I don't live to regret that.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 15 Aug 2021 03:20

It's been a bit of a weird Worlds "season". I've felt a lot more time poor this time around, though as of a couple of days ago we are in lockdown so we see what the next step will be. It gives me a few more days to work on a shred 30. I saw a post on Facebook from Vasek saying he had broken the Shred 30 world record today. Interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/vasek.freestyl ... 9438684864

I certainly won't be reaching those heights, but I would really like to get to 200. Unfortunately I'm not really seeing that in the way I have been playing lately though.

https://twitter.com/capitaleyes/status/ ... 4685122563

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSbcj5mp3PC/

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Aug 2021 03:46

I'm struggling a bit with the Shred 30. What I did get today was a 5 minute kicks without dropping it. I went on a bit longer, I think I dropped at 580, I hadn't set a timer, I just set out to get to 500 kicks in total. Was glad to get that one ticked off. Interesting the different kinds of challenges you face with those two events, which coming down to it both consist of kicking a small ball around.

So apparently there is an Australian freestyle football championships this weekend (online). I didn't even hear about it, which means I'm pretty out of the loop. I don't think it would have been worth pushing to get something for that too, as I've already been time poor enough.

Here's my routine.

A couple of others have mentioned, same for me, I'm just glad I got something in. I had one drop in there and a lot of pauses and bringing it down to toe stalls and kicks, but it had a decent flow to it.

Also, 3rd in the pool due to those scratchings, that's kid of cool. The Sick 3 results just came out, the brief look I had and there were some pretty wild fluctuations between judges. Anyway, once again, glad to get something in.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSqm9fYJXcb/

In terms of the shred 30, my main problem is I keep dropping it somewhere along the line. Last year I had some good runs and ended up doing my best score and I was really hoping to improve on that, but at the moment I'm popping out around 140. I've had the 200 goal in mind, but I'm thinking if I can get a slight improvement on what I'm doing (165ish), that might be enough to hand in. More likely I'll run out of time and have to hand in what I've got. Fingers crossed.

We're in lockdown now which has probably given me a bit more time for playing, actually it's given me a lot more window to play, but also a lot more window for my kids to walk through the middle of my filming or ask me annoying questions while I'm playing. So there's some opportunity there.