Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by boyle » 10 May 2019 21:46

Played a little while today. https://www.instagram.com/p/BxT3XtilmQt/ - I think this was the first run I did on film, it came out pretty well, I was actually trying to get something better but that never came through. Going to Sydney this afternoon, the rest of the family are already up there, so I might get in a kick somewhere along the way. Not wearing Lavers today, but that doesn't really matter. These hiking shoes do a pretty good job, though they are a bit heavy.

Here's the latest Instagram roundup for the last month. http://sportslashlife.com/footbag-on-in ... pril-2019/

Here's another Instagram clip from me from a couple of days ago. https://www.instagram.com/p/BxPEhpLlv9i/

I have had a few short sessions, but hopefully I can get in some longer sessions in the near future.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 13 May 2019 02:18

boyle wrote:
05 May 2019 01:58
We booked our tickets to New Zealand, so we will be in Christchurch from November 1 for a bit over a week. I'm looking at the options for how we're going to get around and where we're going to go and it's all looking a bit more expensive than I was hoping for. Looking forward to the trip though. Should be great. I'll have to update my passport before we go, it's expired now.
Yay! Please let me know what your plans are in terms of meeting up with people and I will make sure to get down there to meet and shred. Also come to Welly! Keep me in the loop please!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 May 2019 02:27

Unfortunately I don't think the north island is going to fit into our schedule this time, we will have to go another time I think. I'm going to be in Christchurch on November 2, and again on November 12 and 13 I believe. I've been talking with Phil about having a kick on those days, and he seems keen. Guess we can line things up closer to the date. Is there anyone else kicking on the South Island? The scenery looks amazing, can't wait to get down there.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 06 Jun 2019 01:48

I haven't written here for a while. Francisca and Jasmine have been and gone to Chile, they just came back yesterday.

Nico and I had a few adventures, I made a couple of vlogs. Not much footbag in these, but of course some short feature.

We spent one night staying at a lighthouse. Hopefully that will be the next vlog if I get some time to get that one out. That was quite a fun trip to the Railway Museum for the Thomas and Friends thing. We went on a steam train ride. Nico was also impressed, they had an old mail parcel train, I told him my Dad used to work on one of them around Sydney (true).

It was cold today, I got a short session in. https://www.instagram.com/p/ByWTRVdlsC_/

What I haven't mentioned is the most important thing regarding footbag. A couple of weeks ago (just before going to the lighthouse) I dropped something on my toe at work. We were setting up some new chairs in the cafe. It seemed to recover OK, but just in these last couple of days it seems to be getting worse. I'll keep an eye on it these next few days, but I've been able to play, I've been able to skate, ride my bike, do some walks so I don't think it is broken or anything like that.

So they've just announced that Australia is going to be the invited team next year at the Copa America. There is also a Copa America this year. They are meant to be every four years, but they had won in 2015 in Chile. I do wish I had have still been there for that, it would have been fun. Then they had another one the next year in the USA. The Centenary edition, which didn't really count for anything - but Chile won them both, beating Argentina in the final after 99 years of not very much.

Anyway, hopefully Worlds next year will be in Medellin, and hopefully there can be some tie in with the Copa America, which is in Colombia, and also Argentina - which sounds like a bit of a complicated thing logistically, but it would be awesome if that could all tie in. The Copa is in June/July and I imagine Worlds would be usually end of July.

I haven't heard anything about Euros for this year? That would be disappointing not to have that.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 15 Jun 2019 03:46

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByuXZEBF_Lc/

Here's a short run from today. Terrage b2b, which I didn't spell right in my little blurb. Autocorrect, that's what I will blame it on anyway.

So the toe is not so bad not so good. I don't think it will need doctor attention by now, but there are certain positions in footbag that will cause some pain. In general it's pretty fine though now, so that's ok.

Haven't had much in terms of proper sessions at all lately. The cold weather is here and the garage is not really prepared. I've found that the lights there should have two light globes in them, but one of each are broken. That was probably the case before we moved in, though I think one was working for a while.

I'm working on another vlog, it has some good footbag runs in it. Then I have a bit of a backlog of some cool things as well, which hopefully I will get done over the next few days.

Through work they have these sustainability grants. I didn't really think much on it, but one of the criteria is social sustainability - give back to the community, blah blah blah. I made a last minute application to teach footbag at the local youth centre in the name of the hostel. Not sure if that will get up, but I might look at asking for something similar even if the funding doesn't come through.

Francisca is going to start a new job in the next month or so. I think this will mean I will cut down my hours at work and hopefully do some more teaching. Hopefully also some more footbag sessions. Going to Sydney again next weekend, we're going to see Radio Birdman, that should be great fun, it's going to be a family event, my Dad is going, my sister too and Francisca as well. We've got my aunty looking after the kids so it should be a bit of a fun night out.

Last I was in Sydney, Dyalan said he was injured. Not sure how long that's going to keep him out for. Hopefully can get a kick in there.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 19 Jun 2019 04:21

I had a decent session in the garage today. I cleaned it up a bit the other day so I had some space to move around. Still a lot of work to do though.

It's winter now so it's getting cold https://www.instagram.com/p/By456fbFUOF/

Here's another one from the other day. https://www.instagram.com/p/ByziKZzF9EH/

I got in touch with Copey today - hopefully going to play with him sometime next month. Hoping also that I can get a kick with Dyalan in the near future. We've got a couple of trips to Sydney so hopefully that can work.

Still a little pain in the toe but I think that's getting better. Guess I should just rest it a bit more. That's a little bit hard when your kids come and step on your foot!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 Jun 2019 21:33

So the other day I hit this trick - https://www.instagram.com/p/By9fZ7oFGE0/

This was late last week. Maybe I was so pleased with myself that I left the footbag on the ground. Only today I went back to that spot and conveniently it was still there. So that's a win. I have misplaced another footbag - it's somewhere in the garage but I just can't find it. I will get there.

It was nice and sunny at lunchtime today. A few tricks there. https://www.instagram.com/p/BzKAw89FC8I/

I have taking to doing some tricks off ledges and things. I haven't done this in a while, but I love those kind of tricks. Not that I'm particularly good at it.

These are some of the tricks I have done from a (not so) great height

- symp mirage
- smear
- ducking pdx mirage

I got a few of these on video, I'm going to put them in my next vlog which I can hopefully get out in the coming days. I'm teaching the next couple of days, which is good news. I haven't done any teaching this term, and the term is almost over. I'm going to drop down my hours next term so I can do more teaching and I think that will be a good thing.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 Jul 2019 03:43

Hey all. Fun fact. Now I own Modified. Well, for the moment the .in domain is in my name. TJ and I are going to be running things from the near future. Thanks of course to Allan, he's done an awesome job for many years.

I would like to do a few things, but maybe I don't want to get to grand with the ideas that I want to do. But these are things I think I could do quite easily.

:arrow: Modified as a footbag news site. At the moment there is no site you go if you want to see what's happening in the footbag world. There is the Facebook group. footbag.org is not updated regularly and the site itself is very old. Despite not so many people posting regularly, I am fairly certain that people are still visiting Modified every now and then.
:arrow: Online competitions. These were a thing a long time ago. It's now a lot easier to film something and get it out there, so that would be good to do again. I have a few particular ideas, most of them I have put in this blog over the years.
:arrow: Forum will just stay the same for the moment I would say. Hopefully we can get more people to use it. I think if you have the news items, it has people coming there, they have a look around at the rest of what's there.

Anyway, on to me. I just did a little clip on Instagram today, they've got a little light thing set up for the school holidays - https://www.instagram.com/p/BzxQDNKFt7k/

Here's another clip from the weekend, we were in Sydney by the beach. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzq5oksFbV2/

I've made a couple of vlogs recently, mainly from our trip away with Dad to the Green Cape Lighthouse. Little bits and pieces of footbag all along the way.

I did a couple of days teaching just before the term ended. Once next term starts I'm going to reduce my hours in the hostel with the aim of more teaching.

We'll see what happens next year. If the Worlds will be in Colombia, then I would like to go there, and maybe spend a few weeks in Chile as well. Australia are also playing in the Copa America - which will be in Argentina and Colombia, so that could line up well. Or Worlds could be elsewhere, then I'll probably try and get a proper teaching gig. We shall see.

I'll be in Sydney next week, with a stop in Wollongong to see the Raiders match and then get all you can eat the next day at a place with a great view over the water. I have hopefully lined up two kicks there in Sydney, so hopefully they come through. They've also just announced the nationals for freestyle football will be in Sydney at the end of September, so that should be a fun thing. I'll be there for sure.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 13 Jul 2019 00:02

Nice lot of videos!
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Jul 2019 02:09

Was happy to get that bunch out there. It was all mainly from while the girls were away, we went a couple of places I either hadn't been or hadn't spent much time at, or also hadn't been at since I was a very young kid. Some good memories along the way there.

Got to have a kick with Dyalan a couple of days ago in Sydney. He hasn't kicked much of late, but it's always great to hang out. He was wearing some shoes that he picked up at Big W for about $10 and they look like they do a fine job. Might have to pick myself up a pair. I'm actually reasonably set for shoes for the moment though, which some people are getting big concerns about. I've got a couple of pairs of brand new shoes on the shelf.

I had a lot of runs where I would start off with a good trick, then just drop on something simple a couple of tricks later. I hit food processor then dropped on a butterfly. Whirling swirl, drop on osis.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0AqELMlYoz/ - this is a run that came to a decent length. I've been quite sick the last few days, so I was glad I was able to kick at all. Aside from that I was with the two kids, so that didn't make things easy, but we were at a park were they were able to roam pretty free and I could keep my eye on them.

The park we were in is just near where Dyalan works, we've kicked there once before so hopefully we can line that up again sometime.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 18 Jul 2019 08:26

Congrats on owning Modified! It's great that you were willing to take on that responsibility! Thank you!
Also, yeah, wow, so many videos. Good job on playing, recording, and posting so consistently!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Jul 2019 21:57

Yes, I'm looking forward to doing a few things with Modified once we've moved the servers across and all that jazz.

It's funny because I feel lately I haven't been playing or filming very consistently - I was happy to pump out a few vlogs as I was starting to fall behind on them. Most of them were from the same trip. We just went away recently but I didn't film much so I don't feel I have much hanging over my head. There are a couple of things I might do, but they are not urgent.

I think it's a big difference our new house, the garage doesn't have the same feel to it - I don't really feel so comfortable to go out there for a late night kick. The space is OK, but in the old place we had some old carpet and things in there and that worked quite well. We just had some of old neighbours come over for a visit this morning. We are still in touch with quite a few people from that area which is really good.

Worlds is coming up soon. Less than 2 weeks. I'm not too disappointed about not going this year, but that's because I have the idea in my head that we will be going next year. Hopefully that happens, otherwise this time next year I will be pretty bummed out.

Rafal Kaleta with a dropless routine to take it out for mine. Poland has enough good players to beef up the competition - will be interesting to see if any of the old faces who have kind of dropped off the map pop up. There are currently 19 players in Routines - some of the other freestyle disciplines have 30 or 40 players in there. Well that tip on Rafal is off because he hasn't registered in Routines.

It's a pretty decent turnout, but a little disappointing only about half of the players are going in routines. Maybe it will be a big return from Damian. Is it 10 years since his big victory in Prague? 11 I guess, that would have been 2008. I'm getting a few things pop up on my Facebook page about being on this day in Berlin or on this day in Copenhagen. Haven't had so much pop up about the green carpet of Oakland, but I have a feeling that one ended up being in early August. Anyway, some great times on those trips to Europe, the first one a solo trip around and the second one a family trip, both really good travel experiences. I will have to go to Europe again some time.

Hopefully next year around this time it will be a South American sojourn. Got my fingers crossed for that.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 27 Jul 2019 02:16

There seems to be a real positive energy around footbag lately. A lot of old heads popping back. Seems to be a decent turnout for Worlds, people are excited, posting a lot of cool stuff. Pretty well up until this week I've been like, eh I don't care, too far, too much money, etc. Though seeing all the pictures on Facebook as well as a few of the good memories pop up, then I think, hey maybe it would have been cool to go.

I've got my eye on next year though, and I'm fairly confident of that happening. I've mentioned I'm looking at a few things falling into place but the puzzle is coming together.

I've been doing some more teaching the last days. I will be dropping my hours in the hostel in order to do more teaching. I haven't done the dropping yet so I don't have so many days off at the moment, but that means a few more $$$$ in the bank account, which is very important if I want to attend Worlds because I certainly couldn't go to this one.

Anyhow, whenever I do teaching I always make sure to drop in some footbag - sometimes just a short demonstration, sometimes I will let them have a go or actually do a lesson on it. Other times I bring in something like takraw and mix that up. I did that a couple days ago and that worked well. My little show of different tricks went well too. No drops, ending on a tomahawk. I was happy with that.

Here's a little run from a few days ago - https://www.instagram.com/p/B0SOfylF4b3/

I haven't done that much footbag lately. I've been trying to do some freestyle football each day, there's a comp at the end of September for that. I will do a footbag demo there, but I will also compete. I'd like to do a lot better than last year. I was able to do a bunch of footbag tricks with the ball the other day in a good session - osis, spinning butterfly, swirl, dimwalk and a few others. Need to improve my consistency on that.

After the day of teaching yesterday I was able to have a short session at the skatepark. https://www.instagram.com/p/B0XoOr0lCGK/

A few weeks back we were in Sydney and I popped into a shop called Skater HQ. It used to be called Manly Blades and I was a frequent customer in my teenage years. Funnily enough, back in the day they also sold footbags. Anyway, the guy who owns the shop, Bill, I needed a new part and he put it in, installed it for free. We had been talking for a while and he asked if I used to come into the shop, I said I did and that I got right into footbag and had been to Worlds blah blah. We talked how everything goes in cycles. I'm in a similar group to the footbag group for rollerblading. It seems to be having a bit of its own revival as well. Lots of old head reappearing. It's good to see.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 27 Jul 2019 14:20

Nice vids! I like the casual passers-by, and of course the shred. Can you throw some drifters/p. drifters for me? Thanks!
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 27 Jul 2019 19:35

I don't like when they walk straight through the shot! But that's ok - but of the action of chucking your phone down on the ground and seeing what happens. I'm actually not very good at paradox drifter, so I will have to do some more.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Jul 2019 04:26

I've been working on a couple of things that I've been planning for quite some time, but now I've got it closer to movement. The main thing is about doing workshops, about how to teach footbag. I'll put a few posts up on my Sport/Life site in the coming month or so.

In reality these should go on footbag.org but it's a bit of a debacle at the moment, so I will just put it up on my own site. If people read it, they read it, if not, no problem, I can problem claim some time on my professional development for teaching.

Anyway, the few I have that are close to ready to go are about the following

- first one is about actually booking things in, the organisational side of it all
- one is about the "signal to begin" - not just trying to talk over a whole bunch of chatterboxes
- another about setting learning intentions and success criteria

I think that's something that we probably all struggle with as footbag players - even if we are teaching new players. Kicks and stalls and things are "easy" for us, but for someone new to the game, it's just like an impossibility. So basically start off small with the goals, get some success and keep building from there.

I haven't been playing much in the last few days. I came across an old bag of mine. It is the red Hania bag, I did my routine to win back in 2010 with it. It had a lot of holes in it, and I swapped it over with Caroline for something else. Then she got it fixed up and then Evan Gatesman used it in one of his Worlds wins - I think the time he won the Circle contest. So it has a bit of history. I actually thought it had a lot of holes in it again, but it wasn't leaking at all when I kicked with it today. That was only for a few minutes though.

Looking forward to seeing videos from Worlds and also from USO. Would be a really fun couple of weeks to go to both.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 03 Aug 2019 04:47

I haven't seen a whole lot of footage from Worlds, but it looks like a cool event. The battles in the bar looked pretty awesome. I'd love to see more stuff like that. Vasek has been in really strong form. It looks to me he has certain runs that he uses, or similar variations, for the different comps, especially circle and battle. But he does them without dropping for about 50-100 contacts and that puts a lot of pressure on the opponents.

The last couple of years I think he has had some injuries but he looks in good health this year.

It looks like it's been a pretty fun event. I wasn't really disappointing in not going mainly because I'm planning to be at Worlds next year. I have my fingers crossed it will be in Colombia. I believe they made a presentation about it there. I've mentioned him a couple of times, but super impressed with Sebastian Ceballos. When I was there, which was a while back (2012), he was this lanky young kid starting to pick things up, but he's really got into that performance/circus thing. So much so that he's in the routines finals at his first Worlds. That's a pretty massive achievement. Big props.

It's been good to see Damian performing really well too. He's been off the radar for the last few years, but he's been up there in contention in most events. The time difference is not really great for watching European stuff here, but I did see the end of the Circle finals when I got home from work last night.

I haven't really got much to report on my playing, very little the last few days. It's been quite cold. I've got a day off tomorrow so hopefully I can get a session in. Heading to Sydney the following day, going to visit my Grandpa. He's quite sick. He's been in a home with dementia for a number of years but it's probably coming to the end of the line for him pretty soon. I don't think he can get out of bed at all now and apparently he is struggling to talk. So best to get in and see him while I can.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 03 Aug 2019 14:14

I watched some of the live stream stuff and yes, Vasek looked pretty good. I think he took first in freestyle no? I was a bit upset Taishi didn't make the podium, but on the other hand it will likely be a wake-up call for him to push even harder if he wants to get to the top. I would like to make it to next Worlds as well. We will see.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 06 Aug 2019 13:42

I've only seen Vasek's and Taishi's so far. I will have to take a look at the rest first before looking at the judging, but I thought both of them were playing it a bit safe. Vasek had some good choreography moments which probably helped him a little. As I said though, I haven't watched the rest yet so I'll have to see.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 Aug 2019 01:43

The kids were sick earlier this week, so I spent a lot of time at home. I got to sneak in a couple of sessions.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0z75S5lut8/ - Was working a bit on setting from cloud stall, got a few combos out. I think eventually I might be able to hit a motion out of that cloud pixie set thing, I was actually coming reasonably close to it on that day.

Worlds looked pretty fun. I really liked the look of the battles event. It would be cool to have more stuff like that, in bars whatever. We are having a freestyle football comp at the end of next month. I've lined up a deal at one of the hostels in Sydney - we had a comp there a few years back, inside the hostel and that was pretty fun. We're going to do a demo the night before the comp and I think it would be cool to do something similar.

I'm not sure how they did the freestyle football vs footbag battles, haven't seen any footage of that, but I've been thinking a fun comp would be

1 round footbag
1 round freestyle football
1 round open choice

Might be a bit difficult to judge, but I think it would be pretty fun. It would also be really interesting to see top players who are really good at both doing battle at that.

I had a short session yesterday in the lunch break. https://www.instagram.com/p/B02KJfBlasZ/ I don't hit pdx torque much so that was a good one to get. No kicking today, it's really freezing. I am catching the bus home tonight so I may have a wait on my hands and do some kicking then.

We've got a wedding to go to on the weekend, so I've got myself a new suit, a haircut blah blah blah. Up until this point for any kind of formal event I have just worn the suit from our wedding. That was 8 years ago now, so it's had it's run. I think there's a hole in one of the knees and maybe a missing button, so it has certainly had its day.