Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by boyle » 14 Apr 2015 00:59

Look forward to kicking! I will have to learn some more toe tricks.... have you hit atomic dso? I guess that would be your go.

There is a lot of hipster stuff popping up in Canberra, but we'll see if any of it lasts. That's always the problem with stuff here.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Apr 2015 12:35

Just a quick post, despite it already being April 21 here, happy Modified Day for all youse guys and girls over there. I like modified, I don't think it's dead, nor that it has been killed by Facebook.

Have been playing in bits and pieces, weather has been crap and getting worse. Ah, the Canberra winter. Time to go to work.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 22 Apr 2015 12:11

Likewise, man! Hope that you do :) I have not, but maybe once Worlds comes around, it'll be feasible. Hipster stuff can be fun, as long as they don't take over, but that doesn't sound like an issue. Poopy weather, eh? Heard Autumn was really nice for you guys over yonder.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 Apr 2015 04:09

Kicked with Caroline last night, session began at midnight. I hit 51 guiltless to end that, happy with that one. Not much else to report from the session.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 May 2015 18:12

Hit flip pixie ss dlo for the first time. Wasn't able to get it bsos, unfortunately. There's a bit of talk in another thread about Worlds. Will be hard to know who will be featuring until registration is open and some players are confirmed to be there. I haven't been playing too much in the recent days, generally fairly short sessions. Came very close to ducking blender a few times recently. Had it off my foot a couple of times. Haven't been able to play with Caroline at all - she has been sick and works rough hours so I've barely even seen her despite living in the same house. My work hours are not the best either. Working 3-11 today and tomorrow also. Have had a few days shifts this week which has been a nice change. It's nice to finish work and it not to be dark.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 10 May 2015 13:34

I hit ducking blender today. That was pretty good. I think Francisca was happy with her mother's day, that was earlier in the day. I also hit atomic ss dlo bs and some really long runs. Good session. ..played for about 2 hours, pretty sore next day...

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 10 May 2015 22:44

boyle wrote:ducking blender
Well there you go. Congratulations, a cool looking trick :wink:
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 11 May 2015 02:15

Keep pushing dude. Mindbender is a tight trick. One of the hardest 6s I can think of.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 May 2015 12:46

Thanks fellas. It's one I have been working on a long while. Don't know if I will ever have it super consistent.

Felt sore and exhausted yesterday, don't feel a lot of improvement today. Will need to work on my stamina in the lead up to worlds. I am sure ending the session at 2am or so probably wasn't that helpful.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 May 2015 20:28

Some good kicking today. I figured out something on my flip eggbeater....so got pigbeater bsos. Spin duck osis b2b to start a run. Motion sickness to start another.

Coming down with a bit of a cold hopefully I can beat that in the next few days.

We took Nicolas to the emergency room last week with croop, I am sure it's all connected.

Anyway, very happy with kicking today. Didn't expect to play at all and got in a session with Caroline. Good stuff. Backside spike hammer was another trick from today. Spinning ducking whirl also. Good session after all.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 03 Jun 2015 14:43

Hello fellows.

Not too much news lately. Here are a couple of short videos I made when I was in Sydney a couple of weeks ago. We are going to do a competition - both footbag and fs football, at the Railway Square YHA, which is in downtown Sydney. That's going to be this weekend, so that's another trip to Sydney coming up. Jeremy is coming up from Tasmania and Copey and Caroline will also come up from Canberra. So along with the football guys, we should have a good little get together.

Anyway, in a short time I got a few runs to test out some of the angles in the hostel. The playing is nothing particularly special, but hopefully things will look cool with people looking down from above.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ASpb9g8ngY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yA-my8p4C8[/youtube]

Earlier that day I put together this clip at the Chatswood skatepark. I spent a lot of time there when I was living in Sydney as a teenager fresh out of school. Back then it was just built, but not really built that well. Now it is more than 10 years old, so those flaws in the construction are quite noticeable. It's still pretty fun though.

Anyway, this little video I made from the trip to Moree last year - with a mix of skate/blade/footbag, that went down pretty well, so I think I will try and do some more of that stuff in the future. I have been getting into skating a bit. Not in a huge way, but just spending a bit of time at skateparks . I will probably drop by the skatepark this morning after dropping Nicolas off at daycare.

Here is that video from last year

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVDBe3SonDI[/youtube]

Haven't kicked too much lately. Had one quite good session that started at about 1am the other day, and one really bad session the night before last. It was just too cold and I couldn't warm up. It has been -5 the last few mornings, which hasn't been that good.

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 03 Jun 2015 23:41

Your Ducking looks nice. The second video's music is what I shred to, so that was nice to watch.

Vojta

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 07 Jun 2015 00:58

We had a comp today. Freestyle football and footbag. I competed in both. Didn't do well with ball. Did hit datw mid battle, but lost control a lot.

Footbag came along, we had 6 of us competing, including Dylan one of the young freestyle football blokes.

I was saying earlier today it's been a long long time since we had a new player. Probably since Ryan rocked up in 2010.

Anyway, we did sick 1 first. I hit food processor. I also went for spinning ducking symp mirage and thought I had that but that was ruled as thin. Jeremy hit whirr and won. Even though it's less adds, everyone agreed it is much harder.

Sick 3 I was a little disappointed with. I did hit dimwalk-blur-paradon and also darkwalk-spinning ducking clipper-ducking butterfly. Jeremy win that with bs blur-dimwalk-ps whirl. Caroline had a good combo too. Ducking clipper-osis-ducking osis.

After we finished we played a bit more and I had one really good run, must have been close to 40 contacts. Will write more later on.

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 07 Jun 2015 05:45

In what universe is Food easier than Whirr? 8O

I mean you always have to consider how clean both tricks were, but on paper you should've won. Food has more components (two dexes, an uptime set, a hard downtime trick with SPIN/BOD versus just some DEXes), uses both legs and you need to be proficient in two areas of the game, Stepping set and Pdx Blender as opposed to just being to do a Whirl somewhat fast so you can stuck two in there.

I couldn't hit Food if you gave me 1000 tries, but I definitely could hit Whirr, and I've never practiced either.

Vojta

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 07 Jun 2015 21:24

I can't do whirr, and probably never will. I would say his was probably cleaner too. I haven't watched the video.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 08 Jun 2015 10:15

Add Block wrote:In what universe is Food easier than Whirr? 8O

Mine. As was pointed out though, it all comes down to execution in these contests.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 Jun 2015 15:40

I think overall food processor is a pretty easy trick (it's not much harder than blurry whirl or pdx blender - neither of them are harder than whirr.

Anyway, I was pretty pleased to have a 6 in the sick 1 event. I was telling a story to someone about when I went to the South American champs a few years back. I think you had maybe seven goes at the sick 1 (we had 5 in this one), but in Colombia I put down about 3 or 4 different 6 add tricks for my effort (from memory food, alpine blurry whirl, spinning ducking whirl...that might have been it. Brayan Stiven was the last one to compete, and he's an all or nothing kind of guy, so by that stage he still hadn't hit a trick, so I thought I might have a chance at taking the gold if he doesn't pull something off....then he went and did nuclear torque so that was the end of that debate....

Anyway, I'm trying to be good and get the video sorted today or tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. The night before going up to Sydney, maybe the night before that, I went with Caroline to see Frenzal Rhomb. These guys are a long running Australian punk band, a lot of fun and they played for ages. I was glad to get there after finishing work at 10pm, they were just about to go on stage.

It's been a bit weird almost all the shows I've been to see since coming back (which is just over a year now, the weekend gone by was one year back in Australia) - all these shows are "blasts from the past" - bands like The Living End or Frenzal, which really kind of got me started into rock music, or Break Even, which is a band I was right into before going over to Chile.

On that one year back in Aus thing, it's been pretty good. It was definitely the right time to move, and things have flowed pretty well since. It has been pretty cold in Canberra, -5 most mornings, but seems a bit better this week. We had a good time in Sydney, stayed with Francisca's cousin overlooking the beach which was pretty awesome.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 08 Jun 2015 21:55

I have never hit Blurry Whirl but I have hit Whirr, Pdx Blender and Food Processor.

I feel like Whirr is probably the easiest of them to fluke but the hardest once to get down.

Sounds like everything is going well for you and your little family. Can't wait to meet and re-meet you all in Copenhagen.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 12 Jun 2015 07:16

I said I would get on to the video from last weekend as quick as I could. I started watching it and found it fairly boring so far, mainly because there's quite a lot of footage, which will probably become very little.

I had a fun session at the Gungahlin skatepark the other day. Caroline mentioned something about it looking pretty new to the lack of graffiti, I mentioned that it was a brand new park when I was in high school.

Anyway, this video turned out pretty well, it's another mix of footbag, skate, inline etc. I think I'm going to try and make one of these for every skatepark in Canberra. This is normally where I go after I drop Nicolas at daycare.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xb2MvT8X5k[/youtube]

Anyway, watched the first game of the Copa América today, which Chile won, 2-0. Would have been good to be around while it was on, but I can't imagine what I would have been doing for the past year to make ends me.

I had a session once I came home today. I didn't have any big plans or expectations, but I did hit a couple of things for Mr metzelrio and his Instagram drifter challenge. You can see a variety of footbag instagram videos here - http://iconosquare.com/tag/footbag

Anyway, I had to work back late and I was pretty peeved when I came home. I drank a couple of beers during the footbag session, listened to some music, mainly the Coldfront demo and Combeback Kid's Wake The Dead, and I was feeling pretty good by the end of the session. It's always hard to get motivated when the temperature is around zero, but it's good to have the garage as a shred space.

Anyway, it really gave me a positive lift after a long day, and I was really happy about that. In other pretty good news, in just over a month we'll be off to Europe. Will be interesting doing the trip with family in tow. We have everything booked now..the journey is Canberra-Sydney-Helsinki-Norway (staying with my cousin in Seljord)-Oslo-(ferry to)-Copenhagen-Berlin-London-Bangkok-Canberra

We got our accommodation for free in London which is going to be a serious saver. Mostly I'm looking forward to a bit of time off though, that's going to be pretty great.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 12 Jun 2015 09:07

Really appreciate all the videos lately, especially with all the mixin' of the other sports ya dig. Are those skateparks close to you, cause those are some super dope looking spots, like damn. 'Tis refreshing to hear what other players music taste is. Game is looking strong, can't wait to see it in real life next month :D What is your weather like out there right now? Seems enjoyable for it being Winter, yes? Mad envious of your travels pre and post Worlds.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield