Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Top Post!

Post by C-Fan » 06 Feb 2020 16:31

"Zion" by Melbourne artist Kate Shaw.

boyle
Post Master General

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by boyle » 06 Feb 2020 23:53

Those reflections look great. A lot of colour. Speaking of colour, or lack thereof, a friend of ours has done some interesting work with charcoal from the bushfire areas. He shared some stuff on Facebook the other day, I'll see if I can find a picture.

I don't really have any footbag news since the last post, just that I am quite tired, lot of working days but tomorrow is a day off so hopefully that means some kicking will be done.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 09 Feb 2020 03:11

I was playing around with going for a unique genuine record. There has been some talk of that. I think Jim got 43 or more. I'm going to aim for mid 20s. Tonight I got about 8 or so, it's so easy to just drop into an osis or a butterfly out of pure habit.

I had a short session in the dinner break and also a longer session at the gym. Annoying - this clip didn't cut down like it was meant to.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8V2mR2lswM/

In the gym session I hit some good stuff. Include bs blur on the flipside. Not sure if I've ever done that. I was able to do bs blur>phoenix. What I've needed to unlock is some more toe ending tricks in order to build up the fearless, so that could be something.

I've been doing quite a bit of skipping in the gym, I will generally just set a target of skips and just keep going until I reach it. 500 is a common one. So did that today, with a best of 207. I think we will have a "Jump Rope for Heart" thing at the school later in the year so better keep trainnig up for that.

It's been a busy week so it was good to have the morning at home today. Working in the hostel this afternoon. After all those fires now it's pouring with rain. Not sure if we will get flooding here, but other areas have had some pretty serious problems. We seem to have missed a majority of the heavy rain, but it's meant to rain all week so we'll see how that goes.

Came across an interesting chat on Facebook, it was Lynton Stephens and Brendan Erskine talking about Deftones. They are touring here next month for the Download festival and I am weighing up on seeing them or not. There are probably not quite enough bands to make it a great time for me, but I did have a real good time at the festival last year.

Anyway, I also just made the connection that Deftones played at Big Day Out 2003. This was probably part of the peak time of footbag in Australia, the festival had rival footbag company tents! Well particularly at a commercial level. You know what though, I'm not sure if I knew either of those guys were into rock of any sort. I went to that Big Day Out and watched Deftones, though I remember watching them with a friend from school.

I'm going to get a good pay the week after next, and I may even get paid out my long service leave. I'm not sure how that's going to work but that would be my preference. As I am still working as a casual I might just continue building it up, but I'd be happy to take the money now.

I made some progress on some of the links from the Link of the Day (bit late, better late than never, something like that). Spin duck butterfly>gravedigger looks a definite possibility. I was able to step out of the spinning ducking and start the move towards the torque. I don't think I could do the other side which unfortunate because that's stronger for spinning ducking.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

We are all unique

Post by C-Fan » 12 Feb 2020 10:19

boyle wrote:
09 Feb 2020 03:11
I was playing around with going for a unique genuine record. I'm going to aim for mid 20s.
That's a great goal, especially if you can take parts of that and use it in a Shred 30. Back when I took Shred30s super seriously, I remember being surprised that bailing to a unique osis (i.e. an osis you hadn't done before in the run) was more points than repeating a five add trick you had already done.
boyle wrote:
I was playing around with going for a unique genuine record. I think Jim got 43 or more.
Depends on how you count double downs... I think he had barfly-DDD in the run, which some people would not count as unique. In a Shred30 those would not be counted as unique tricks.
boyle wrote:
Tonight I got about 8 or so, it's so easy to just drop into an osis or a butterfly out of pure habit.
Again, as long as it's not an osis or butterfly you had previously done. BOP drill is 6 unique even though it's pretty much all bails.

boyle wrote:
I made some progress on some of the links from the Link of the Day Spin duck butterfly>gravedigger looks a definite possibility. I was able to step out of the spinning ducking and start the move towards the torque. I don't think I could do the other side which unfortunate because that's stronger for spinning ducking.
Those are the best kinds of LOTD, where they do NOT line up your strong side. Whenever LOTD is released I can usually tell immediately which links line up my strong components, and I don't even look forward to hitting them because I know they'll be easy. I love the LOTDs where its a link that involves some weak component/link, because that's where the fun challenge comes from.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Feb 2020 23:47

Are we talking unique genuine? Or for the shred 30? If I can take those 6, I should add them in. I might keep trying without them as well, I think it's a good challenge to get those unique tricks. I didn't actually watch the video of Jim, but him hitting a lot of high level tricks wouldn't surprise me. A lot of the LOTD links are no good for me, but then it gets to a way later day and I can do them. But this is a good one because it links a couple that I'm ok at.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Feb 2020 23:35

Here is me blatantly answering questions that Ken put for Erik on his blog. There were some great answers there and I was wondering some of the answers for myself.
1. What is your proudest footbag achievement?
2. What was the best tournament you ever went to?
3. What is the hardest trick you ever hit?
4. Hardest link?
5. What is your favorite video of all time?
My main achievement is simply to still be playing. Most of the people I've played with along the years are not very serious about it these days, which is kind of sad for me, but I live with some hope that I can get things going again at some point and I'm starting to work on an idea to bring some old heads out of the woodwork in this part of the world.

In terms of competion, it's Aus Champs 2010. Dropless routine and won the comp. You know what else was good, winning consecutive kicks in 2001. My score was a bit below 500, which is actually quite low for the 5 mins scores, but it was enough to win. At that point I didn't really know any tricks, I was a serious circle hacker and was working on consecutive kicks and things went from there. I won a Shred 30 at one point also (2011), but I had a terrible score and wasn't happy with that one. I've also been to Worlds three times. I wish that number was higher, but it's a long way away. Another big deal was going to Malaysia and being a judge and getting paid a good amount, that was cool, I'd love for something like that to happen again.

In terms of organising, doing the Sport/Life European Tour was a pretty big deal, though in reality, it didn't have enough follow through to have any meaningful impact into the future. Some really cool videos came out of it though. So that's something. The idea that I hoped to inspire is that pretty much anyone can get a group of footbaggers together and take them a few places and do some cool stuff. I'd actually like to do something similar in Asia at some point. Maybe in a few more years.

I've done a few cool demos over the years. Some at teacher conferences and this type of thing. A few that come to mind were all a long time ago - one for an outdoor educator conference, one for a girls come and try sports sort of day and I had another one in mind too. Can't think of it now. I also went on TV in Chile a bunch of times doing footbag.

2. Worlds 2009. This was my first trip overseas and I had such a great time. I spent about a month going around, with some time in Switzerland with Flavio beforehand and then time in Vienna staying at Alex Trenner's house afterwards. Those are not part of the competition but it made the time even better. In terms of competing, I had a decent go, a little while before going I made the decision that the main focus was to enjoy the experience and I definitely did that. Met lots of good friends there and also reacquainted with some players I had already met before.

At the local level, the Narooma Jams have been good. I mentioned recently 2009 was probably the pick. The one with Juho was also a good time.
That looks really small in the preview. Not sure why that is. It comes out normal size here - http://sportslashlife.com/footbag-joulu ... rooma-jam/

2010 Nationals was good. Aside from the victory, we had a good setup at the Easter show and then on the rooftop of the hostel. 2009 also good with Andrew Grant and Phil Morrison competing. 2007 in Hobart was also a pretty cool one, at a big busking festival as part of the "Taste of Tasmania". That's when this "Australia's finest" was made.

2012 South American Championships is a good one to put on there as that's the only comp I was able to attend while we were in South America and maybe just maybe I will get the chance to return this year. Let's see about that.

3. I answered this some time ago, years ago probably. And at that time I said dimwalk rev swirl. I haven't hit that since so it's probably still up there. I have hit bigger tricks in recent years though. Like Eric, I don't consider this "massive tricks" on a world scale though.

For me

- spinning ducking motion (I'll also say things like stepping ducking motion, pixie diving motion, pixie ducking motion, I think I've done fairy ducking motion)
- I've done gangsta party a few times and come v. close to alpine food. Really need to just check that off the list so I never have to think about it again.
- A recent one was pixie ducking DLO. I think I could probably do alpine fog too, I think that would be a good one to check off.

4. Links

I'm not the best linker. I've done a few 6>6. So you would think something like alpine blurry whir>motion sickness is probably the best one I've done. Pixie ss motion>locomotion.

5. I find it hard to go past the Joulu-Jupe. That Feeling Worlds one from Mads Hole is pretty good too. Aside from the part where I'm in the background dropping a reasonably easy trick when someone is busting huge. In reality I don't watch so many of the old videos. Most of them like Champions League, Sick 03, I've seen a few times but I don't own them.

I think there are a couple of questions that would be cool to add that I might answer another time.

What's the best competition you NEVER went to (the big regrets of missed this and that)
What's the best video that you have made

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 01 Mar 2020 23:32

It's been a little while since I've posted. More than 2 weeks. Let's get a couple of clips to begin with.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8-jEVXlUO-/ - This was in the park last week. Each Tuesday I have off with Jasmine but I usually get some kind of chance to have a kick.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9BPaNvj8KH/ - Here's something from beside the pool at the gym. Still trying to find the best schedule to get the most out of going, but to have a kick and then jump into the pool is a great feeling. One annoying thing is the pool is not that deep. This is good if I take Nico there because he can stand up. But sometimes you want to take a running jump into a big pile of water and 1.1 metres doesn't really do the trick.

So I've been doing some teaching, 4 days a week and then a couple of shifts here and there in the hostel. That is keeping me occupied. Next week is a public holiday, so that's good news. We'll head to Sydney for the weekend. I'm thinking about going in a few more weeks for a festival. Last one I went to I got a bit of hack circle action going so I would like to do that again, and maybe take a few bags that I can just give away. A friend was saying the whole thing may get cancelled due to bands not being able to travel, so I will hold on about getting tickets just yet.

I played some soccer on a friends indoor team yesterday. Close loss, but I had a bit of a collision with another guy and have a bit of pain in my leg. Don't think that's going to stop the footbag but I will just keep an eye on that.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 26 Mar 2020 02:06

It's been some weeks since my last post. The world has gone into lockdown, though not really here. We are still in very early stages. Schools are kind of shut but also kind of not. We are due to transfer to online learning so we've spent the last days doing that.

I've been kicking a bit but haven't put many clips up - here's one from probably the last time I went to the gym. https://www.instagram.com/p/B900vhxF90C/ It's closed now and in good news they are not charging the fees while it is shut down. That's something.

Today I kicked a while, I hit diving rev swirl. I'm not sure if I've done that one before but it came pretty easily.

Here's some random clips from my Youtube. I was just taking a look at some with bigger numbers.

Evan at Worlds 2010 Circle Contest.

My playing footbag in Papua New Guinea (also 2010)

Short run from Juho at Parliament House here in Canberra. 2014 or so I think.

Here's one of the monthly videos I did while I was in Chile. I said I would try and do some of these this year. It's March now and I haven't done any.

Here's a vlog from our trip to New Zealand last year. I posted that not so long back, but that was a cool trip and this came out alright.

Just a few things from other times, not so strange times.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 04 Apr 2020 17:28

Always great to see how video-heavy your blog is. All great stuff, and some nice memories in those older videos too!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 Apr 2020 04:15

Yes, I like to be able to put in a few videos in the posts, though I might not on this one as it's getting late.

So we're getting a bit of a system for the world of online learning. Of course whatever systems we run at home, Jasmine completely smashes, but we are figuring things out. It's her birthday in a couple of weeks so we'll probably have some wellwishers on the online world. That will be the 2nd birthday so in the long term she will have no recollection of that at all.

I'm certain the community as a whole will look back on this time and say "remember when..."

Yesterday I got in a half decent session. It's been hard with the timing and the school-from-home and the this and the that, but there's a long list of excuses. I have been doing plenty of pendulums for Derek's thing on Facebook. But I did a proper session and then actually later in the day when I was taking the kids for a walk, I just hit spikehammer>motion>tomahawk which I think might be a new link, not entirely certain on that one.

I'll have to get the garage setup to play. Aside from the huge amount of stuff in there, there's also some problems with the lights. I'd like to do some of these online sessions people are having. I guess once school holidays hit (which is only one more day), I should have a decent amount of time and can try and link up my day time to other people's times.

I have certainly mentioned that garage a lot of times in this blog and I think I have made a total of zero progress. One day. Though I'm not setting mega goals to be doing while we are in this weird situation. I have enough to do in my regular job.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Enlighten us non-Facebook heathens

Post by C-Fan » 08 Apr 2020 07:09

boyle wrote:
08 Apr 2020 04:15
I have been doing plenty of pendulums for Derek's thing on Facebook.
What is this? I'm intrigued. Pendulum was like my first cool trick I learned.
boyle wrote:
I just hit spikehammer>motion>tomahawk
That's really styly. It could also be a drill if you are feeling frisky.
boyle wrote:
I'd like to do some of these online sessions people are having.
Tell me more? Are these sessions with multiple people taking turns, or more like somebody just streaming their session?

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Enlighten us non-Facebook heathens

Post by Tjuggles » 08 Apr 2020 13:11

C-Fan wrote:
08 Apr 2020 07:09
What is this? I'm intrigued.
Ditto!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 Apr 2020 14:21

Ah yes, the perils of not being on Facebook. Derek has challenged people to do a pendulum everyday from April 1-20 or something like that. I had meant to post a link on here but didn't get around to it.

Here's the original post - https://www.facebook.com/groups/footbag ... 498978963/ - I think if you just posted them on youtube or got them to Derek directly they would probably count.

It seems people are having sessions where they take a turn, but the timing hasn't worked well for me as yet. There's also another FB group about that. https://www.facebook.com/groups/616278868966902/

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 08 Apr 2020 15:19

Thanks for this! Unfortunately both links require having a FB account, but at least we know more about this.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 09 Apr 2020 08:31

I've seen the pendulum posts. EVERYBODY is doing this, from Lon, to Chinsen, to players/noobs I've never heard of before. But I never paid attention to Derek's original post. I gathered that it's a contest he setup in reaction to Mark Monistere's Pandemic sick 5 contest? He had an minimum add limit on that contest (huge contributions from Honza, Jim, etc) and in the comments people were saying the add limit was kind of silly, and maybe that's what inspired Derek's pendulum thing? I really like that EVERYBODY is doing it, and that anybody is able to do it. But I still don't know the details of what happens after this April 1-20 period you mentioned, Daniel...

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 09 Apr 2020 15:00

yeah, I think it was a reaction to those kind of comments. I think the add limit was good, made it challenging and people did pretty good combos.

I think the idea is the person who does the most consecutive days will win a free bag.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 16 Apr 2020 20:04

Hmm, but everyone's doing it every day. Maybe it should go on indefinitely until only one person is left standing. That would be fun. Lol. But, also, I get sooo many FB notifications when someone has just replied to their own thread with the new day's pendulum. It's also good to see people getting creative with it though!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 Apr 2020 03:25

I think the pendulum competition is done now.
Matt Cross has been doing a weird trick competition on Instagram. I've sent in a few entries. I think my trick for this week is fairly unique and fits the "weird" criteria. I think the video will come out in the next couple of days.

I had a short kick today. I was thinking something. How many tricks could you do without repeating anything. Of course this goes against the be bothsided etc sayings, but I'm thinking about not repeating at all. So that means you can only do 1 butterfly, 1 ducking clipper, etc. I was trying to go for 20 different tricks, don't think I got there.

I had a video kick with Dyalan last week. That was a good bit of fun. I've been meaning to line up some with others but the time difference makes things a bit difficult of course. I also don't really have somewhere to play in the nighttime.
I don't really have anything new to share, but this is exactly what I'd like to be doing once the restrictions are removed.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 04 May 2020 16:45

I've had a productive little time footbag wise lately. On the weekend I had video sessions on Saturday and Sunday, and will hopefully continue these into the future. Maybe even if the world goes back to normal.

On Saturday I kicked with Rory Dawson. I got to kick with him In Real Life a couple of times around Worlds in 2015. We both ended up going to Berlin after Denmark, so I was able to jump into the sessions that he had organised. Anyway, we had a pretty good session on the computer. He said the connection was much clearer between us than it had been with other players in North America. My thought on that is that it may be because it was no in the peak times.

On Sundays, we've had for the last couple of weeks a kick with Dyalan and Lima. She's been on the Aussie Facebook group a while but I've never met her. She used to live in Perth and do a lot of hack. She's got a few stalls and different kicks and things. So it's good because I've probably kicked with Dyalan the same amount in the last few years as we have in the last few weeks. He's still got a few tricks up his sleeve as well. Not so much stamina but he will still pull out some good tricks along the way.

This pandemic is maybe even bringing some new players, or old players out of the woodwork. I also saw that Hania sent a bag to someone in Australia, so I might see if I can get in contact with them, seems it's not one of the regular faces.

I've also done up a competition for consecutive kicks, which will last the month, with some prize money involved. I've been looking at some challenges for the kids to do at home, and I'm going to do a one minute soccer ball kicking challenge, and I've also been thinking about ways to do something with kicks.

http://sportslashlife.com/may-madness-f ... mpetition/

Andy Linder has said he won't go in it, so it gives more people a chance. Derrick Fogle has got 157 already. I want to do a dropless round for my entry, 99 was my best so far, but that had a few drops.

I think there's actually some opportunity to force the kids to do footbag, but it's not really fair as they don't have the equipment. I was thinking of giving some to some classes, but then you will hear an endless "BUT SIR, that's not fair, etc". We are probably not that far off going back to school either, so I will hold on in that regard.

I did up a vlog a while back. Nico and I did a trip to Perth in the summer school holidays. They had this outdoor water park, it was a lot of fun. Some footbag shots in here too.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 21 May 2020 16:18

That's so great that Dyalan is playing! I remember him having a really smooth style? I don't think I know Lima. I wish I could join in on the online sessions, but I guess you guys are all doing it in/near your homes where you can connect to your own wifi? I'm in a small apartment where I can't play without maddening my downstairs neighbours, and nowhere else I'd have consistent enough wifi to stream a session. It sounds like a such a blast, and I remember back when I was able to do that many years ago when it was a thing.

The competition sounds cool too!
My very first tournament event was a consecutives one. Back when that existed. There weren't really any rules. I think I hit like 1200-something and then started shredding lol. But it wasn't, like, all insides or anything, it was whatever I could use to keep it off the ground. Also, I was just tiltless at the time.