Pincher

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Pincher

Post by mahhkohh » 29 Aug 2005 05:53

hi y�all,

i have this problem,i can do pinchers,no prob,but then...i never get it out there!i mean,when i have long pants on me,like jeans or training pants,i can do a roll down on the heel,but this would not be what i realy want,it sure looks cool,but i can do it only in long pants!
so what do u guys do out of it and what tipps could u give me?like,how do i get the bag on my toe or something....

help is appriciated!

[Mod edit - changed name to just Pincher, was "Advice: moves out of pincher" - Frank_]
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 29 Aug 2005 06:26

do like an atw (in to out) onto that toe stall. There are other harder options but I think it's best to learn that first. Just lift your knee high and straight and release the then as soon as it's left, bring your foot around and under it.

I've seen Lynton Stephens hit pincher set assassin (if you count the first dex)

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 29 Aug 2005 07:42

Jeremy wrote:
I've seen Lynton Stephens hit pincher set assassin (if you count the first dex)

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATthis guy is insane!tell him to hit it on video and then show this to me!i´d love to see this!damn!this sounds soo sweet....and hard!

ps:thanks for the tipp jeremy!
mäcrö hartig

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 30 Aug 2005 08:16

If you count the first dex, then I've hit gybas and DATW out of it. But I don't think you can count the first dex though.

I learned my releases from watching Daryl at Funtastik. Mechan Osis is fun as is dyno from squeeze. You can also do a legover or even a butterfly out of it like Rippin'.

~peace
Damon

vanderwax
Multidex Master

Post by vanderwax » 30 Aug 2005 08:55

I like doing pinchers too! I usually try to drop to an osis. I havent hit any fancy tricks from it though. Just butter, clipper and osis.

I cant even picture how pincher>assasin would even look! 8O
Daniel G. 'Vanderwax'
'The head of state has called for me, by name, but I don't have time for him.'

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 30 Aug 2005 09:05

Assassin = Pixie ducking mirage???Right???

If he can lift his leg that high to set it around his neck, I wonder what else he can do.... :oops: :lol:

~peace
Damon

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 30 Aug 2005 10:13

I like to impress hackers by hitting a pincher then shooting it back out really fast.

Back in the day I could jump while back spinning and catch the pincher in the air then land with it. A few times I was able to release before I landed.

If you count the first dex:
DATW
Da da curve
DLO
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 30 Aug 2005 10:53

hm...allright,all moves said here make sens to me,atw is now in my trick-inventory.but the thing i dont realy understand is how to release the bag!i mean,when doing this atw thing,it is mostly a luck thing if i release it right to catch it then!
so i lift my leg up,till my upper leg part(hows the word for it???? :oops: )is parallell with the groung,and then lift my lower leg,and them the bag just falls down,and i need to be very quick to catch the bag in atw!i also tried to straighten my knee behind my body,so the bag would fly just upwards,but this will need some practise!
how do u guys do.i mean,u need to set it somehow for a butter! 8O osis seems easy,since u just drop it and spinn and catch!
mäcrö hartig

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 21 Mar 2006 03:37

How did I miss this topic earlier :o

First of all, there are 2 main ways that the bag comes out from your knee:
from the inside of your leg (pinchy set or pixie pinching)

and also from the outside of your leg (finchy or pincher fairy)

Moves out of a pincher:
Firstly you can kick your leg out behind you and flick the bag backwards

by flicking more with the calf you can duck a pincher. to do this imagine setting from cloud and lift the bag upwards (ie. don't move your hip much and have your knee pointing mostly downwards)

leg the bag drop from the outside of your leg to and op clipper. Bring the pinching leg down quickly like your doing the last half of a whirl (or PS whirl)

Roll down your leg to opposite toe

Also you can do an atw from a pincher and double atw

Lobster: pincher set>same in to out dex>same pincher (see pixie pinching image above and imagine it going to a pincher on the same leg)

you can dive and duck a pincher from inside(same sort of action as for lobster). To do this you need to rapidly raise your leg then relax your knee while pulling your knee quickly to the side, you don't have to raise you leg all that high.

You can let the bag roll down your calf to osis or cloud osis

roll down your leg to (same) heel delay

anyway can't think of how to explain this all that well in text, but I'll make a video when I get a bit more time (uni is way too busy at the moment)

I'll update the photos on the weekend with some of my own and hopefully some animated gifs :D

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 21 Mar 2006 14:54

If your looking for an easy way to get out of it, just open up your leg and catch it in an opposite clipper. But thats boring :) , i've never done any cool pincher moves, only pixie. I've come close to pixie clipper from it, and that'd be a neat basic move from it
Matt Kemmer

footymatt
Shredaholic

Post by footymatt » 22 Jul 2006 22:21

How many adds would; left toe set (far) > right leg knee pincher > ss clipper (left leg on right side); be?

i think it would be 4 adds, right?

What if I set it from my op clipper (far)? Would that be five adds?

footbag.org freestyle tricks list says clipper and knee pinch are 2 adds each, and woudn't a far set give it one more add?
<--==╡"F♂OtYmÄtT"╞==-->
To bend and move is natural; to play footbag is naturaler!! Ha Ha
-Matt Hennemuth
Footy Footbags Club

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 23 Jul 2006 00:40

Props Matt on doing some pinchers :D

The pincher move itself only gets 2 adds, regardless of the set. The string you are describing is a two add trick (pincher) to another two add trick (ss clipper).

As soon as I get a camera I will make a video of some pincher tricks.

footymatt
Shredaholic

Post by footymatt » 23 Jul 2006 08:16

I don't understand fully, would that mean that when you do a pincher that it counts for two adds but anything after it is counted by itself? So a pincher > clipper would be 2 adds and 2 adds not 4 total? I'm confused. I know that the set don't count, cause in a string the set was counted on the last trick. So if the set is "Far" that don't count for this trick right? right. So now we count the pinch and clipper and that should be 4 adds though right? If so I hit my first 4 add move. YA!! If i'm wrong then I hit two 2 add moves in the same trick string? Which is it...My head hurts now.
<--==╡"F♂OtYmÄtT"╞==-->
To bend and move is natural; to play footbag is naturaler!! Ha Ha
-Matt Hennemuth
Footy Footbags Club

dblthnk84
the Bum

Post by dblthnk84 » 23 Jul 2006 10:15

You linked two 2 add moves in the same string. Good job though, pincher tricks are fun.
________
BMW E65/E66/E67/E68
Last edited by dblthnk84 on 07 Feb 2011 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

JelloFootbags
Hack Fiend

Pinchers

Post by JelloFootbags » 14 Feb 2007 17:56

Hey I need help on pinchers...Preferabbly from janis :D

[merged with Pincher thread - Frank_]
I footbag...because its freedom.
Zack Cizek
Big fan of Jorden Moir =D

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 14 Feb 2007 18:02

ok big post coming up, this will take a while, I'll edit when I'm done.

I'm going to make a video, sorry but this will take a day or two, I want to get as perfect as possible form for this one.

For me the pincher is just like the toe or inside, it's just a setting surface for tricks. Just like a toe stall or a clipper it is important to have a good pincer before moving onto harder variations.

Pincher:
the biggest thing that helped me was to catch the bag behind the body slightly. So if you are catching the bag in a right leg pincher: shoulders open up towards the bag, knee points downwards and ankle stays relaxed. You really use the hamstring muscles to catch the bag, I find keeping the quad muscles a bit relaxed helps heaps. Quad stretches are good, especially the ones where you pull you ankle up towards your back while balancing on one leg.

stringing tricks with pinchers:
there are two main ways to set from pincher: pincher pixie set (pinchy) and the

moves into pincher:
When you have a solid pincher many moves ending in pincher are just dependent on the set that you use. For example a pixie pincher mostly depends on having a good high pixie set, the pincher part should be the easy part.

pixie pincher: toe>same in>> op pincher

This move is all about having a good pixie set, set the pixie around chest height and try to plant the pixie as soon as possible.

stepping same pincher: clipper> op in > same pincher
I think of this move like a stepping clipper except that it ends in a pincher as opposed to a clipper. Practicing stepping clipper and sidewalk helps for this one.

moves out of pincher:
With these moves, especially pincher pixie set the set is the hardest part and the rest is dependent on having solid downtime components.

pincher to toe stall:
http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/11119
this is probably the easiest way to get out of a pincher

pincher to same pickup: pincher>same in> same toe
this is one of the most common ways to get out of a pincher, bring your knee up so that your thigh is parallel to the ground and release the bag by relaxing your leg. The bag should just drop straight down and ou do a small pickup dex to catch the bag.

pincher pixie set (pinchy set): pincher>same in>>

practice pincher to same pickup heaps, the trick to this one is to be able to relax the pincher leg while keeping the upwards momentum. The setting leg moves in an ark, starting from under you. As soon as the leg starts relaxing you should move your knee outwards and slightly upwards quickly to clear the bag.

pincher to same double pickup: pincher > same in > same in > same toe
small dexes are cruical, you set the bag by relaxing the pincher leg and a small hop off the supporting leg. After the set this move feels a lot like a downtime double pickup.

pinchy legover: pincher >same in > op out > same toe

this move is made heaps easier if you do a symple legover instead of planting the setting foot. The bag almost drops into a symple legover from under the pincher leg. Practice symple legovers lots if you want to do it that way. Alternatively you can go for a pinchy set and then do a legover, but this is probably the harder option.

pincher set far illusion: pincher> op in> op toe
this trick only needs a good downtime illusion, as with other pincher>op dex moves it helps to push the setting leg downwards after the set.

pincher set eggbeater(pinchbeater): pincher> op out> op out> same toe
http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/10863
get a nice and solid downtime eggbeater going. Practice lots of toe set eggbeaters and pdx eggs. As soon as the bag is released from the pincher set push the setting leg downwards, don't just let it fall. Pushing the leg downwards after the set helps to create the "hop" that you can see in other eggbeater moves. Good to practice pincher set far illusions to get the placement right.

pincher pixie set eggbeater(pinchybeater): pincher> same in>> op out> op out> same toe
this trick needs a strong downtime eggbeater. Try to get the pinchy set up to chest height and really emphasise the downwards movement of the setting leg. You need to push the setting leg back towards the ground quickly to get enough time to do the trick and also to create the 'hop" that is used in many eggbeater tricks. Definately worthwile practicing pinchy illusions to get the right placement for this trick.

pincher set far mirage: pincher> op in> op toe
this trick only needs a good downtime mirage, as with other pincher>op dex moves it helps to push the setting leg downwards after the set.

pincher set far dlo: pincher> op in> op out> same toe
it's important to have a good downtime dlo, practice lots of dlo's. As soon as the bag is released from the pincher set push the setting leg downwards, don't just let it fall. Good to practice pincher set far mirages to get the placement right.

pincher to pincher moves:
op pincher:
the cruical thing about this is using the supporting leg to deliver the power to the set. Although it is tempting to use the lower half of the setting leg to provide the setting power this ultimatley leads to a more inconsistant set.

same side pincher: just like op pincher the set power comes from the supporting leg.

pincher atw in-out (lobster): pincher >same in> same pincher
The important thing is to get a strong pinchy set going, set outwards from the body and then the bag should be right in the pincher position for the catch. It's important to relax the knee and not the whole leg.
Last edited by janis on 28 Feb 2007 06:14, edited 4 times in total.

ShredEX
Shredaholic

Post by ShredEX » 27 Feb 2007 09:47

I find the best stance to set into the pincher is to stand sideways to the footbag and clamp it rather than having your back to it and worrying about looking over your shoulder, just stand a little sideways to the hack extend your leg and clamp.
Toby Smith

First Comes Form Then Content
Each One Teach One
To Each Their Own

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 28 Feb 2007 05:59

videos will be posted eventually(they are all filmed), I've had problems with my internet recently so I can't upload them all just yet. If there are any pincher moves not on the list, make a post and I'll try to help out.

DayGlow
Circle Kicker

rakes

Post by DayGlow » 07 Jul 2010 07:38

I personally haven"t incorporated pinchers to much, but I saw Chris Balch do a nifty little manuver where he kind of shakes the bag off of his leg to the inside and then just rakes the same foot through and scoops it on up just like a CB Rake. That seems like the most effortless way to exit a pincher stance while still stringing.
Power to the Peaceful

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 08 Jul 2010 12:19

My favorite thing to do out of a squeeze/pincher is a double around the world. Pincher set straight in front of you, pull your knee straight up and release at the top of your set and start the datw as soon as you release the bag. If you can do a regular datw, this is pretty damn easy and a total crown pleaser :wink:
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman