Calf stall (Cloud)

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Pirrotta
Shredalicious

Calf stall (Cloud)

Post by Pirrotta » 18 Jul 2010 01:59

Hello Footbag Community, Im looking for some tips on moves that can be done from Cloud stall, I apoligize if theyres already a topic on this i looked around and did not see anything. (Maybe im the only one who likes Cloud stalls) :?

The Randallizer
Shredaholic

Post by The Randallizer » 18 Jul 2010 23:28

Well, you could always start at the ol' bitch list located here

http://www.footbag.org/newmoves/listall

Basically, just start from cloud then try one of those tricks or try one of those tricks and end in cloud. Either way, try not to let the bag drop to the ground. Good luck!
Mike Oxbig

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 19 Jul 2010 00:02

Scott Bevier does a lot of cloud kicks to far whirls and whatnot. I think he does some in this youtube video but don't remember. It's a sweet video anyways. check it out:
pt 1:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI695i_vGnc[/youtube]

pt 2 :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb1w0mB6rZI[/youtube]
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 19 Jul 2010 08:20

not sure what you mean by "tips on moves that can be done from cloud stall"...

if you can get the bag on a cloud stall, and then get it back up in the air again, you can do ANY footbag concept that happens on the way down.

Get good cloud stalls and then do all your other moves from cloud. That's all there is to it.

or maybe you did not really ask the question you intended to ask? let us know.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Pirrotta
Shredalicious

Post by Pirrotta » 19 Jul 2010 12:04

Ya maybe i should have worded it better, I was pretty much just wondering what some common moves out of cloud stall were. I use to think Pincher was a dead end move but i read the pincher thread and found theres a few moves that can be done from it, I was wondering if same applied to cloud. Also i saw a michal Cod biarda video were he does almost like a cloud atomic type set just wondering if anyone had advice on that. I think ill try Cloud>Mirage for now.
Antonio Pirrotta

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 19 Jul 2010 12:45

Antonio -

definitely the best idea. here's some other basics that you might love.

also, you can pinch these all in to cloud if you want to add more to the beginning.

("same" means same leg in this context, "op" means op leg - this can be confusing if you don't know if the writer means "same leg" or "same side", which can often mean different legs.)

cloud >

-same toe stall
-op toe stall
-same pickup
-op clipper
-op flying clipper

and, my favorite (you're gonna love this)

cloud stall > roll all the way down the leg to same foot osis

do ANYTHING out of it. There's no point in asking what the common moves are ;) start with your bread and butter and build from there.

do it all both sides (BS) as well.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Pirrotta
Shredalicious

Post by Pirrotta » 20 Jul 2010 00:53

Alright thanks for the info guys, I hit most of the moves you listed matt (strong side only) but the cloud>osis seems impossible at this point considering i havent got osis down yet. Oh yeah and I followed your laver tutorial very helpful thanks.
Antonio Pirrotta

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 20 Jul 2010 12:16

that video of scott bevier blew my mind

just sayin'
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

xsisbest
Shredaholic

Post by xsisbest » 29 Aug 2011 19:57

Those are sweet videos for sure.. Did anyone catch about 1:03 mark of part 2 ? looks like Evan about fell in the water.. I hate seeing that kinda stuff though. I can't hardly watch anything anymore that looks like an ankle breaking.. one to many twists I suppose lol.
A dream becomes a goal when action is taken towards it's achievement

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 10 Nov 2011 19:48

Part of getting cloud stalls really dialed is being able to consistently set out of them. Essentially this trick requires good balance. Some drills I think are good for this include:
  • Practice standing with you weight evenly distributed throughout your support foot in the cloud stall position. Move around a bit and feel how the balance changes. Focus on good posture.
    Practice same side and alternating cloud stalls.
    Cloud stalls on the same leg without planting your feet. Try both setting a small height and a larger height.
    Cloud > same mirage
    cloud > knee > cloud
    Cloud > clipper > Cloud > clipper ....
Much of the consistency comes from having a consistent angle to how you catch the bag, I think that pointing the toes directly towards the ground tends to help this. When I catch the bag there my ankle and toes are in a similar position to how I do a toe stall. It's a bit like doing inside delays, the main challenge is in getting the catching angle and position consistent.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Jun 2012 17:03

Don't know if anyone cares about cloud kicks anymore lol but I found a really easy way to set them way higher, which is useful for cloud kick> ducking something-or-other.

When you do the kick, have you leg out like you're about to execute a whirl, but then quickly squeeze your thigh and calf together to contact the bag on downtime. If you get it right, you'll see your calf muscle bulge for a split second. That is butter for cloud kick> ducking. I hit the basic stuff with it so far, like ducking osis/butter/mirage, but possibilities are endless. Anyway, pretty cool to mess around with. Hope this tip finds someone well.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Re: Calf stall (Cloud)

Post by krustykrakk » 18 Apr 2014 09:09

I recently started to put clipper > far cloud stall in my tiltless game a bit.

When I set from right foot clipper, i use my hip to point my knee to my left side, then open the window a tad. I aim for the back of my knee as if going for a pinch but keep my calf parallel-ish to the ground.

I don't think this counts as cheating since I don't actually pinch. Going for far pinch and missing the pinch (but accidentally hitting the cloud stall) is actually how I started doing it.

Summary: If this helps, go for a loose, low pincher; miss it; end on a cloud stall with calf horizontal (to the point where the bag doesn't roll.)

I am a newbie who has played for a year, please keep that in mind. This is just what is starting to work for me.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Calf stall (Cloud)

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 18 Apr 2014 13:59

Ben is correct. I find that a loose pincher is key for them. Then you just kinda let it wedge itself in the "pinch" spot without squeezing.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman