Gyro-diving

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Gyro-diving

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 11 Oct 2010 11:07

This is a concept that I wish more people did. I'm looking for tips on getting it consistent. I have hit clipper and mirage out of it both sides, but it always seemed to be dumb luck. Given the motion there just seems to be no way to spot the bag, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Questions:
1) For people who can do it consistently, do you spot the bag? If so, how/when/where?
2) Drills to work on other than gyro clippers and diving clippers?
3) Without someone watching do you have a way to know it's clean?

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 11 Oct 2010 13:22

I think it's probably most helpful to get good at spinning ducking and diving. I'm not sure if I spot or not. I probably do. But one thing that I do with spinning ducking and gyro diving is that I separate the spin from the duck. I don't duck AS I spin. I spin, pause, duck/dive. And I think in that pausing moment I'm spotting quickly.

Here's a recent video where I did some gyro diving:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFXW-whfoVU[/youtube]

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 02 Nov 2010 06:47

The thing I do ...is play footbag in New Orleans on a friday and thats about it.... 8) Ill try to think of something before then

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 15 Nov 2010 04:58

I'm not very good at it, but I used to hit some gyro diving stuff fairly often a few years ago.

1. This is going to sound patronising, but I spot the bag after the spin, while it's still going up, just before the dive, but you only see it for a fraction of a second, so the set needs to be fairly good, and there's a lot of head (or really body, with the head as the end point) movement to get that dive.

2. I don't recall doing any drills, other than waiting for a train one day and thinking to myself "gyro diving osis would be really cool" and then practising it until my train arrived, and then continuing to work on that move. Actually that's probably the only gyro diving move I hit in runs.

3. With ducks and dives generally I think if you do them enough you get a sense of the amount of time it should take to pass over your head. If it takes too long it's not clean, or if the bag is coming down and you're having to move forward to stall it then it's not going over your head properly. Other topics recently have shown me that my standards of "clean" for spinning and ducking tricks is more restrictive than many people's though, but getting those things right will make it easier to add harder downtime components anyway.

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 18 Nov 2010 14:17

Biggest pointers from session with Mark were:
1) You CAN spot the bag you just gotta be quick
2) There is a temptation to let your shoulder flare out during/after the half-spin. Keep it tucked in. This serves a 3-fold advantage.
a) You spin faster with your shoulder tucked in.
b) You don't risk hitting the bag with your arm/shoulder
c) You are better balanced for landing the downtime component.

I am now hitting gyro-diving clipper pretty easily both sides. I've also managed gyro-diving mirage and gyro-diving xbd rake a few times too. W00t!