Clipper

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Wumbo
BSOS Beast

Post by Wumbo » 18 Sep 2006 01:34

i can do a clipper but i found this pic misleading or i see something wrong. to me it looks like he puts the foot outward instead of inward, look where he points the knee and where the support foot looks to. also, i think the toes of both shoes shouldnt point the same direction but more point away from each other. is it the camera angle? well this is what i mean:

and what im thinking of:

(knee & toe point inward, other toe points away)

of course there are different clippers for different tricks (for swirls you put it more away from you). this is the standard clipper im talking about.

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 21 Sep 2006 18:17

You are doing essentially the same thing. The differences between the two executions are very minimal and can be chocked up to body type or level of experience. Both pictures display correct form.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 21 Sep 2006 18:48

Sorry, I forgot to mention that that's Jorden's picture. I kinda stole it from him. :\

The two pictures are basically the same thing, just like Sam said.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

footymatt
Shredaholic

clip>op clip; why can't I do this easy stuff?

Post by footymatt » 11 Dec 2006 10:57

ok I've looked around but I can't find anything thats helped me... Here's what I try.. I set the bag up from either clipper, the set is at a slight angle toward my op clip (like to the middle of me). I've also tried this by seting straight to my op clip. But here's the trip I can't seem to get my footing (planting) right to catch the bag, ie. I'm to late to get it, so I feels like i'm doing ripwalk (which I can't do yet) without the dexs. I've tried infinity but I can't hit that either, I can do butterflies just not to one another, only from toe sets. My clipper postion is ok and needs just a little more work, but my sets from clipper are a bit sloppy. I can do the...drop straight to clipper and set straight up to my hand and rpt. but clipper>op clipper is just to out there for me, any advise?

[merged with clipper thread - Frank_]
<--==╡"F♂OtYmÄtT"╞==-->
To bend and move is natural; to play footbag is naturaler!! Ha Ha
-Matt Hennemuth
Footy Footbags Club

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 11 Dec 2006 12:42

Get repeating same side clippers good, then, once you can get those pretty consistently:

1.Set the bag at a slight angle (like you said).

2.Keep your setting foot in the air

3.Turn your hip so you're ready to catch the bag on the other clipper (Setting foot still in the air)

4.Slightly hop from one foot from the other, timing it so you catch the bag as your foot lands.

Hope that helps.
Matt Kemmer

footymatt
Shredaholic

Post by footymatt » 11 Dec 2006 13:10

are saying that... like an infinity, the "dexing leg" shouldn't touch the ground until the op clipper is ready to catch? So the bag "falls" into place on the op clip? In this case being there is no dex, but the hip movement and footing is the same from infinity to clip2clip. To make the point super right on... Do an infinity but pass the bag over my dexing leg instead of under it right? How high should I be setting the bag? Waist high I would assume.
<--==╡"F♂OtYmÄtT"╞==-->
-Matt Hennemuth
Footy Footbags Club

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 11 Dec 2006 13:49

yeah like infinity w/ out the dex

Not-so-ripped Warrior
Fearless

Post by Not-so-ripped Warrior » 11 Dec 2006 21:41

While explaining how to do some trick a while ago, Jorden explained that the bag should always be set straight up and down (or something like that). Anyways, that's pretty good advice. Adjust your body around the bag, don't adjust the trajectory of the bag to suit what your body is doing. That general piece of advice/outlook on footbag has really helped me.

Aside from that, just watch footage of people doing what you want to do. (I understand it is hard to find really good players doing tiltless stuff). But still, watch vasek or david or jorden or lon or jim or ryan or felix or johnny doing infinities/ripwalks and try to learn from that.

That's all I got. Good luck!!

-Eric
-Eric Siegel: The man, the myth, the legend

Words of Wisdom from Rockey:
"hittin' ripped warrior bsos: that's a paddlin';
hittin' stepping diving whirl: that's a paddlin;
hittin' montage: you better believe that's a paddlin'"

Oroza
Fearless

Post by Oroza » 12 Dec 2006 06:55

theirs a 2-3 ways to do clip> op clip, planting set leg and not planting (the 3rd being like dexless drifter).
i find planting easier at first. with both, the support leg does a hop back right after the set. you can plant the set leg (or not) right before you land the hop back, almost at the same time. then just hop forward to land the next clip

clip> same toe is
Plain, with everything.

Oroza
Fearless

Post by Oroza » 12 Dec 2006 06:56

eek, double post
Plain, with everything.

footymatt
Shredaholic

Post by footymatt » 12 Dec 2006 08:46

Awesome thanks guys. I tried yalls tips last night, and aside from my hamstrings being sore from doing all those clippers and other tricks, I was able to hit the clip2clip on the first go!! Man it's sweet to get tips, think about them at work, then apply them at home and see them work first shot!! I still need work on my left clipper, but you guys let me see what I was blind to, thanks guys!!

I'll try the dexless drifter tonight dude, I've been trying to do a reg drifter for a little while. Ya know here and there. Maybe if I get the clip2clip dexless drifter down pat...drifters will come to me. Also I was watching the Last Days vid with Dylan and Jeremy, and Dylan hits like 5 million drifters so I can see how that should work. Who knows maybe I'll hit drifter tonight or very soon! Thanks dude!!
<--==╡"F♂OtYmÄtT"╞==-->
-Matt Hennemuth
Footy Footbags Club

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 12 Dec 2006 16:38

before you try the drifter make sure you can do plenty of op clippers, then be able to consistently hit the drifter style (no dex) op clipper.

A good drill is: sameside clipper > op clipper > repeat, doing as many of theses as you can will really help your clippers, good luck :)

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 13 Dec 2006 07:18

What helped me at first when I was trying is this is to practice the motion without the bag. It's untrue that you need to throw the ball to the otherside, it may help when your good at it but learn them while keeping the ball straight at first.

So :

1 ) Set the ball straight
2 ) AS SOON as the ball left your feet get back so the ball is now in front of you
3 ) Change your support leg and get in position for the catch, aim for the ball

At first yeah it's hard to get the timing but after a few sessions, I haven't any difficulty with the speed.

footymatt
Shredaholic

Post by footymatt » 13 Dec 2006 07:20

Cool dude thanks 4 da tipz.

I tried some of those dexless drifters last night, but nothing. I couldn't hit those at that time....later I know I will. So instead I worked on my 1st quarter online comp vid. Hit a 4add for it! I think it's funny I can hit a bunch of stuff but I suck at clip2clips, crazy huh.
<--==╡"F♂OtYmÄtT"╞==-->
-Matt Hennemuth
Footy Footbags Club

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 13 Dec 2006 15:08

No, it isn't crazy at all.

You practice harder moves ahead of yourself without practicing the basics. The reason the "harder" moves are easier for you is because you practice them a lot more.
Danny P.

footymatt
Shredaholic

Post by footymatt » 14 Dec 2006 13:32

well your right and wrong. I do practice the basics a little less than I should, but the 4add I hit was done with combining basic moves. I'm not saying what I was (the 4adder) so it can be a surprise for the next comp. An example of what basic combos I'm talking about is say I pratice doing toe set ducking op clippers (left leg toe to left leg clipper), basiclly just a regular toe set ducking clipper. I can also hit mirages, so I thought about it and...bamm now I can hit toe set ducking mirage. Using simple basics like mirages, duckings, clippers, and toe to toe duckings I can hit harder stuff. It's just that I couldn't really get how to do clip2clips. I do practice basics so I can hit, pixie, fairy, knee pinch, clipper, mirage, legover, pickup, atw, Datw, ducking(weaving) clip and mirage, butterfly, osis (that one is harder for me to hit) and some other stuff. newayz you get my point.
<--==╡"F♂OtYmÄtT"╞==-->
-Matt Hennemuth
Footy Footbags Club

DanielWhittle
Shredaholic

Post by DanielWhittle » 14 Dec 2006 23:40

Ive just started to get my clipper>op clippers good. The way i do them is to remember 3 things

set about belly button height.

plant both feet as quickly as possible ( this is what gives you the time for the op clip )

land the other clipper and smile :D
Daniel Whittle

14 Years Old

UK Shredder

sNale
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by sNale » 15 Dec 2006 05:34

hi there,
to see a perfect demonstration of clipper > clipper, download the video "Smooth Criminals". In this, I must say pretty awesome video! :), Vasek does clipper > clipper. Although he hits Ripsteins and Whirrs inbetween you can still see how he sets the bag straight and turns his hips by almost 180 degrees. Try to do it like this and you should be fine! Keep shredding :D
Max
Max Jaeger
munich-footbag.de

Du bist Footbag!

footymatt
Shredaholic

Post by footymatt » 15 Dec 2006 07:49

oh cool beans dude, I got that vid and I've watched it like a thousand times but I never noticed that. Now I have a video mission for this weekend! thanks dude! I also plan to spend a lengthy amount of time trying the so-far-mentioned 3 styles of clip2clips this weekend. I'm trying to get better all-around so that I can not make last place at the 2007 worlds sick 3 (if I'm good enough to enter by then anywayz). I hope to at least get second to last! Ha ha
<--==╡"F♂OtYmÄtT"╞==-->
-Matt Hennemuth
Footy Footbags Club

Faco
Fearless

How deep/smooth is your clipper?

Post by Faco » 30 Jan 2007 09:52

This is an issue that is starting to bug me.
I was wondering how much time do you spend perfecting clipper (butterfly and osis also belong here) and what techniques do you find useful.

For instance, I was slow-watching older Vasek footage and I noticed that even then, he had a very high "when-the-bags-leaves-the-foot" time. What I mean by that, is that his clipper foot was high in the air when the bag started to fly on its own.
He really LIFTS up the bag.

And then there's a question about how "deep" of a delay does one find best. Do you just stop the bag with the minimal motion and flick it in the air or do you really go dooown and uuuup?

Thinking all that, I am starting to believe that the delay and the set should be a priority before the dexterity.

[merged with clipper thread - Frank_]
Ales Zazaro