Gyro Stepping (Surging)

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

joplick
Shredaholic

Gyro Stepping (Surging)

Post by joplick » 22 Sep 2004 13:47

i may be nowhere near hitting this set, but its one of my favorites and i'm determined to hit it, i would just like some pointers, such as:

-in what direction do you set the bag
-how much do you have to spin
-how high is good set
-what moves should i practice to prepare for it
-etc.

thanks for the help
~Jared Wilbur~

Women are like a fine wine... they get better with age.

[life is]"A cycle of hollow joy and vicious self-hatred."
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

bob
Le Meurtre Faux

Post by bob » 22 Sep 2004 20:39

okay. i'll try to give my best advice, but iv'e been trying to teach someone else for a while with this same advice, so maybe it only works for me. haha.

first off, i think it helps to have fairly bendy ankles, but it's not a necessity.

secondly, set the bag really close to your body. the further out the bag is the harder it is to get the dex leg over.

Still inside of the set, it is imperative that the bag go straight up. the set has to be under you and straight up. i think this is the biggest part.

the next thing is the release of the bag and the spin. of course you want to let go of the bag before the dex (DO NOT PULL THROUGH, but i'd say since you haven't hit it yet, you must not be pulling through, which is good.) with the spin, it has to be fast and it has to be really well timed with the release of the bag. almost think of it kinda like you would a downtime torque. it's that same explosion and twist, only done in a different way.

another thing that i think of is that when i am spinning (after the release of the bag) i bring my leg up and turn it out in the same motion.

for the time being, i'd just work on getting it about knee to thigh high. thats probably the best you can hope for (and still be clean) right now.

as for moves to work on as building concepts, thats really hard. i'd say gyro mirage, but even that doesn't really prepare you too much. it's one of those concepts you just have to keep working at.

thats all i can think of for now. if you specifically tell me what happens most of the time, maybe i could tell you if i experienced anything like that.

bob glasser
Bob Glasser

joplick
Shredaholic

Post by joplick » 27 Sep 2004 12:28

thank you so much for the advice, ill keep you updated on my progress

p.s. loved your hood2 vid.
~Jared Wilbur~

Women are like a fine wine... they get better with age.

[life is]"A cycle of hollow joy and vicious self-hatred."
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 10 Sep 2008 12:34

I hate to bring back a 4 year old topic (shit happens)

I remember trying to lern this a long time ago and actually put a vid out on youtube and got a lot of comments saying it was pulled through. Now that i go back and look at it it was a very bad set.

Now though, I have put a lot of mental though into it. I understand it which I believe to be the first step in learning a footbag move.

My question is and let me do a little describing:

The bag is in the clipper position, now...do you begin to spin or do you immediately set and then spin, rotating the leg out.

This set is kid of rediculous though Because I feel it's pretty rediculously impossible to get it clean. I saw one by erik chan and it was the cleanest I have ever seen it but the way in which he had to execute it was very inneficient (although "correct") for hitting any sort of move out of it besides the basics (butterfly, mirage, etc.). Dont even think about hitting Gyro Bedwetter that way. It was litterally Set>spin>mirage. CLEARLY defined but sooooo unrealistic to even do anything challenging out of it. So, is it accepted to do something alonng the lines of quarter spin>set>mirage dex?? but then you risk making a really shitting mirage dex which people do anyway. I have seen so many high level players do them with virtually no miraging dex...is this accepted?
Ben Rea

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 10 Sep 2008 14:34

Chad got good enough sets to do blender out of, and his were clean. You should try studying his.
Matt Kemmer

zeroman13
Post Master General

Post by zeroman13 » 10 Sep 2008 18:06

Chad's surging is absolutely beautiful!!

Sorry, I've quit doing surging. The best set that I had was a set then a fast spin/miraging dex. But like I said, I quit doing them back in Jan. But not before I got props for my cleanest Surreal from Chad himself :wink:
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 10 Sep 2008 22:51

BenRea wrote:I hate to bring back a 4 year old topic (shit happens)

I remember trying to lern this a long time ago and actually put a vid out on youtube and got a lot of comments saying it was pulled through. Now that i go back and look at it it was a very bad set.

Now though, I have put a lot of mental though into it. I understand it which I believe to be the first step in learning a footbag move.

My question is and let me do a little describing:

The bag is in the clipper position, now...do you begin to spin or do you immediately set and then spin, rotating the leg out.

This set is kid of rediculous though Because I feel it's pretty rediculously impossible to get it clean. I saw one by erik chan and it was the cleanest I have ever seen it but the way in which he had to execute it was very inneficient (although "correct") for hitting any sort of move out of it besides the basics (butterfly, mirage, etc.). Dont even think about hitting Gyro Bedwetter that way. It was litterally Set>spin>mirage. CLEARLY defined but sooooo unrealistic to even do anything challenging out of it. So, is it accepted to do something alonng the lines of quarter spin>set>mirage dex?? but then you risk making a really shitting mirage dex which people do anyway. I have seen so many high level players do them with virtually no miraging dex...is this accepted?
That's exactly how I feel about it. You can't really hit the set cleanly and still hit hard things out. I haven't seen the video of Erik hitting anything with it, but the only clean surging set I've seen that I can remember was Ales Zelinka. It should be set the bag up>spin>dex, while as the "clean" surging sets tend to be spin>set the back up>dex (ie. the bag leaves the foot after the spin).

Perhaps a new name should be given to that kind of set (since it makes up such a large percentage of "surging" and many people accept it as clean, presumably because the dex is clean). It's only unclean because of what the name "surging" implies. If we called the set spin>set the bag up>dex something else then when somebody says that they hit that other set, we'd know what they're talking about and expect them to have hit that, and not surging.

I can do the set badly the Ales Zelinka style, and have never tried it the other way. You dex close to peak time and need to plant that foot really quickly while changing feet to hit the next component. You need a sharp set and then a quick spin and lift the dexing knee up as high as you can as quickly as you can :P.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 11 Sep 2008 02:52

You definitely need to set before you spin. As soon as you start spinnnig before the set it is already pulled. My surging was really inefficient because it's more peaktime than uptime, so hard to get any downtime component out of it. The video of me doing those bigwalks was closer to gyro downtime ripwalk. I will try again today, hips willing.

bob
Le Meurtre Faux

Post by bob » 25 Sep 2008 14:58

wow. old topic. i haven't played in roughly 2 or 3 years, but i just got a new camera and i have been meaning to use the video feature. i'll give it a go and see if i can pull out any clean surges. video in a couple days maybe?

Bob Glasser
Bob Glasser

BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 25 Sep 2008 20:37

awesome man.

Maybe the camera will inspire you to get back into footbag...? :idea:
Ben Rea

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 26 Sep 2008 06:14

bob wrote:see if i can pull out any clean surges.
you're not giving me much hope ;)

haha, jkjk.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

bob
Le Meurtre Faux

Post by bob » 09 Oct 2008 10:07

hahaha nice catch matt. unfortunately you were right not to have hope. not only can i not surge, but i can't link more than 4 tricks together. who would have thought that not playing for 2 or so years would be so detrimental?! :)

sorry man, looks like a vid isn't coming.

bob
Bob Glasser