Fairy/Shut

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Chim-Chim
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Chim-Chim » 07 Apr 2009 15:04

keep your toes pulled up and make sure to lift up off the ground a bit so that you can twist w/o blowing out your knees, it'll put some extra pop on your set too.
Jake Raye

maverick-morley
Shredaholic

Post by maverick-morley » 13 Jul 2009 07:55

i was watching matts tutorial on fairy set, and i had ago, didnt really have much of a prob with it.

im just curious, it seems to be remakably similar to the ATW except you dont plant it back on you dex foot. is this the case or am i doing it slightly wrong?

and had similar thoughts on the pixie set??

am i going mad or is the motion pretty similar?
Mav

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 13 Jul 2009 08:07

Not really, for both pixie and fairy. It is possible to hit JUST pixie or fairy that way, but that'll be missing the point of these tricks.
The idea is to do the movement around the bag as early as possible, so you can do an entire move afterward. Ideally the bag should still be traveling upwards when both your feet are on the ground. Try doing that with an ATW motion and you'll find out it's almost impossible.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

maverick-morley
Shredaholic

Post by maverick-morley » 15 Jul 2009 12:38

alright, cool thanks for that.

i was getting a lil worried that i was doing it wrong or sumin. tho i had watch the tutorial on it like 20 times.

and you are right i think i did miss the point of the move, seems obv now and im gna use it in my game more often!!!

thanks for clearing that up!!!
Mav

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 24 Jul 2009 23:16

How did I miss this??? Chim Chim had good advice. My only tips are to keep it tight under you. You want a set in front and then pivot your knee in like a atomic. I dont like them when people swing their leg to the outside and do a semi pendulum :roll:

BeginnerAgain
Circle Kicker

Fairy/shut feedback - video

Post by BeginnerAgain » 15 Dec 2011 18:57

I just started working on fairy/shut sets and I'm looking for early feedback before I start developing bad habits. Video link below:

http://youtu.be/X1JapOpoSLk

Is my dex too leggy? Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

zeroman13
Post Master General

Post by zeroman13 » 15 Dec 2011 19:32

Try keeping your leg a little more underneath you for the set. Other than that it looks pretty good. Keep it up.
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 16 Dec 2011 00:21

I'm not very good at fairy, but it looks like you are moving your leg too much to the outside before the dex (kind of a quick twitchy motion), so you're having to move a lot in two directions instead of just one (out and then in). Try to set the bag and then only move your leg in, toward your body, if that makes sense. Here's a highspeed clip of Anssi Sundberg showing fairy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT7_QV_YPNE&t=1m17s

It's good that you separate the set and the dex, though; a lot of people "fling" fairy sets, which makes them unclean. Someone like Jay Boychuk or Johnny Suderman would have really good advice for you -- they have gorgeous fairy sets.

BeginnerAgain
Circle Kicker

Post by BeginnerAgain » 18 Dec 2011 16:30

Thanks for the tips! I worked on it this weekend and my sets improved a little bit. I'm going to keep schooling it this week.

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 20 Dec 2011 17:52

I agree with what Erik said about "flinging" the set. This goes for both open and shut sets. I watched both of your videos and the advice below applies to both of them:

Yes, your dex is leggy. Most people instinctively want to swing their leg around the bag, but you should try to dex the bag by having it come under the crook of the knee. Everybody swings their lower leg out to some degree, but you want to minimize it.

It's not really an "around" dex like ATW, but more like an "over" dex like butterfly, mirage, or stepping set. Keep in mind it's a half dex.

Nearly all of the lift comes from raising your knee/thigh, not from swinging your lower leg. Your foot should stay under your thigh. Aim for just under crook of the knee, and the set will be easier, more controlled, higher, and expend less energy.
Last edited by cd on 21 Dec 2011 09:59, edited 2 times in total.
chris dean

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 20 Dec 2011 18:14

Last edited by cd on 21 Mar 2024 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
chris dean

BeginnerAgain
Circle Kicker

Post by BeginnerAgain » 21 Dec 2011 18:07

Chris - thanks for your input and your video. I really like your open/shut sets. They are very compact and seem more efficient. I think a more compact set like yours would work better for me because of my long legs. The less my leg swings out the better. I'm going to keep working on this stuff.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 30 Dec 2011 20:58

Those look really good Chris. I think that technique is the best form.

Same with pixies, when you do a bad set, the bag should hit your thigh. If it ever hits your foot as you're setting then you need to re-work your form so that you're not dexing while your foot is going up. Ales Zelinka's tips for both was - Lift your knee straight up, dex the bag as you plant that foot (pushing the knee in or out). The setting foot should be behind the knee at the point where it leaves, so that there is an easy window. If you dex while your foot is going up, you'll often hit it with your foot, it requires more energy, and it is much easier to "the" the set.

B1nary0
Circle Kicker

Re: Fairy (I can duck them now)

Post by B1nary0 » 27 Aug 2015 14:18

mosher wrote:ok, I have found that a few different techniques work for fairies.

Here are my thoughts...

1) The "SS Atomic" Style
Many people do their fairies like a same side atomic set. You set straight up from your toe with your toe right under you. I have my toes pulled up with my heel back to keep the set coming up under me. With the bag rising you do a mostly hippy out to in dex aiming for the bag to pass behind the knee like a good deep hippy atomic.

2) Twisty Leg Style
Same foot position, bag under you, pull up and twist the toe down while pitching the heel up. At the same time twist your hips towards the bag and arc your knee over the bag as it shoots up through the hole.

*warning* #2 is much more condusive to being done the. So watch your style on it.

If you try fairies and they don't work right away and you give up then you'll never get them. They are just a different pixie.. right? Give it a few hundred tries and you'll surely figure out some way that your body likes to do a fairy set.

The way I practice them to get them in strings is do repeating fairy sets alternating feet for as long as I can over and over.

Oh well, they are still a work in progress for me too guys.

Good luck!
I had been banging my head against the wall (figuratively) trying to get a conceptual map of fairy. I had a really bad tendency to pull the bag to the outside, so far that I would have a hell of a time getting position to do anything after the set. Then I read your method #2! My first try sent the bag nipple high, right in front of me! My second try was high enough for me to get a clean duck under it!!!! Awesome!!! Thank you so much.

Note: I also noticed that it feels cleaner and easier if you do the whole thing smoothly