Illusion

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 22 Jan 2007 17:02

For nice clean downtime illusions, just set it straight up like a mirage, but maybe i little bit farther away from you body. Point your toes as you go for the dex, and i dex it more up and down then side to side. So:

-Point your toe
-Up and down dex
-Toe stall

Funny, i started this thread :)
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 22 Jan 2007 23:27

haha. thanks for the tips henry.
Anyway I cant really hit illusions all that clean, I'd say my illusions are "DUUHS" im gonna to study this thread and see what i can do bout that.
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

dyalander
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by dyalander » 21 Oct 2007 19:04

EoghanMcDowell
Shredalicious

Topics: 11

New postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:57 am Post subject: Illusion (HATE, but want)

If anyone would be willing to help with my illusions, that would be fantastic. You see, whenever i go for this trick, i feel i need to smash into the ground. My catches are like right when the dexing foot hits the ground, i also try for a super quick tight dex. Most of the time i feel I'm exerting myself ALOT, and i just give up on the trick. I want to learn this trick so i can implement it into my freestyle. Right now i can do pretty much every single tiltless trick both sides very consistently, except Illusion. I can't even hit that on one side very well. So any help would be appreciated.

The Transformer
Who wears short shorts?
Dylan Govender.

Psilocybe
Fearless

Post by Psilocybe » 08 Nov 2007 23:43

Yeah I can understand your difficulty. Illusion was like the last 2add I learned. My only advise would be is to think of it like a legover but planting instead and catching with the other foot.

Be sure you have legover down.

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 02 Mar 2008 14:07

ugh, i hate this trick!!! I wanna get it down so bad. the motion is just so unnatural. Im gonna go drill it for 30 mins, see if that helps. i never really thought of trying to hit it as a legover that you stall with the setting leg... Maybe that mindset will help me get it.

Clarence Clancy
Circle Kicker

Post by Clarence Clancy » 24 Jul 2010 16:09

I can do all the two add moves efficiently, but illusion just wipes me out. When I do it mid string, I feel like I have to recover before the next move. I also land really hard when I finish the trick. How can I make this trick easier on myself?
-Stephen

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 24 Jul 2010 17:39

I understand frustration with illusions, trust me.

I STRONGLY suggest trying them flip. I got my flipside WAY before I got my strong side illusion because the dexing is SO much more natural on your strong side. I still have iffy strong side illusions but flipside I hit most of the time.

before doing this I would just do a regular around the world (set from my strong side), dex, and just catch it with my flip toe: this motion helps you feel the illusion AT FIRST but illusions have a feel all their own once you get them consistently
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

Clarence Clancy
Circle Kicker

Post by Clarence Clancy » 26 Jul 2010 14:07

I have them down both sides evenly, but my problem is that Illusion saps my energy.
-Stephen

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 26 Jul 2010 18:47

Do you have the ability to make a video? If you do, it'd be much easier to tell you what you're doing wrong.

Here is a video of proper illusion form:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb9lKRIUw70[/youtube]

Honestly, I would ignore the tips in that video. They're not all that helpful. My advice would be to crank your ankle during the dex like you would for a clipper. It really makes you slice through the air rather than letting your foot wobble around.

Illusion requires no jump at all, and your knee doesn't really need to rise much higher than your waist. Use your hips, concentrate on set height, then just go around it.

It's an odd trick to learn at first, but you can get it.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 26 Jul 2010 23:41

My illusions drastically improved when I started doing op dexes with a different footwork. What I used to do is set the bag up, bring the setting foot down, bring the dexing foot up, dex.
What I do now (thanks to tips from Jorden) is set the bag up, bring the setting foot down and at the same time bring the dexing foot up, wait a fraction of a second until it reaches peak and then dex.

Gives me tons more time to make the dex and as a result, makes the dex a lot more relaxed.

Works the same for leg over, mirage etc.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

Clarence Clancy
Circle Kicker

Post by Clarence Clancy » 27 Jul 2010 09:45

Ohh, I get it now. I was jumping for the dex instead of dexing like a leg over and switching feet. This is way easier.
-Stephen

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 31 Jul 2010 11:35

Clarence Clancy wrote:Ohh, I get it now. I was jumping for the dex instead of dexing like a leg over and switching feet. This is way easier.
wow. that's exactly what I do.

I personally don't feel like it takes much out of me to do them though. I just watched that video by Anz and realized I do my illusions on more of an up-time, which I assume is probably how you do yours. My set height for illusions NEVER goes higher than mid-thigh or else it seems to tire me out

to each his own though
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

thedudeman
Multidex Master

Post by thedudeman » 26 Aug 2010 23:07

Zac Miley wrote:Do you have the ability to make a video? If you do, it'd be much easier to tell you what you're doing wrong.

Here is a video of proper illusion form:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb9lKRIUw70[/youtube]

Honestly, I would ignore the tips in that video. They're not all that helpful. My advice would be to crank your ankle during the dex like you would for a clipper. It really makes you slice through the air rather than letting your foot wobble around.

Illusion requires no jump at all, and your knee doesn't really need to rise much higher than your waist. Use your hips, concentrate on set height, then just go around it.

It's an odd trick to learn at first, but you can get it.
zach (and anssi) thank you for posting this the new school guide to it really helped with the footwork but i was trying to dex with my ankle which really lead to me always smacking the bag, but when i tried dexing with the calf i land it 9 outta 10 times, now i can finally get past boring tiltless and move on to practicing my guiltless
im connor payne

yall already know it's stanford homie

billyg
Hack Fiend

Post by billyg » 11 Oct 2011 12:51

What is an illusion?
Billy G.

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 11 Oct 2011 18:33

Take a look at the video posted a few posts up. I'm pretty sure the video shows multiple versions of the trick.

All versions of illusion are pretty similar. For the most basic form of illusion, the bag is "set" (tossed into the air) off of one foot. The other leg circles the bag from the outside of the body towards the inside of the body. Then the bag is caught on the same foot that originally set it.

There's a lot more to learn about dexes, how to do them, how they are different, so that's just a basic idea. I think it's less importan to learn what all these different things are, and more important to start learning how to do them. Start with the basics - there's lots of stuff on this website about what to start with.