Pixie/Open

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 02 May 2011 10:20

In the last 6 months? The main changes proposed were:

pixie :arrow: open
fairy :arrow: shut
butterfly :arrow: down
dlo :arrow: mixer
legover :arrow: switch
reverse swirl :arrow: twist

The idea was to make certain concepts more consistent (ie, double "legover" vs. double switch) and make other names less lame. It takes a minute to get used to, but I think is better for the sport.

On topic: what really helped me with flip open set, was doing PLOs back to back. Since a legover is the opposite of an open set, doing PLOs reinforces that motion twice every time you link it.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 02 May 2011 19:08

C-Fan wrote:In the last 6 months? The main changes proposed were:

pixie :arrow: open
fairy :arrow: shut
butterfly :arrow: down
dlo :arrow: mixer
legover :arrow: switch
reverse swirl :arrow: twist
Around the World out to in :arrow: orbit
reverse whirl :arrow: whip

those are a few more that stood out to me when I came back and read the changes.

BeginnerAgain
Circle Kicker

Help with pixie set (video)

Post by BeginnerAgain » 12 Dec 2011 18:27

I'm really struggling with pixie sets and would appreciate some feedback from everyone.

Should I approach this set differently because I have long legs? I'm having trouble achieving the same leg motion as some of the video tips online.

Thanks so much.

http://youtu.be/ZKGBaVLSueI

If you have a question again about a trick or set, before starting a new thread, please consult the master list and see if it's already got its own. The master list is in all capital letters at the top of this sub forum stating, "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING". Thread merged. -Erik (not a mod)

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 13 Dec 2011 11:36

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK8zo4NqsGE[/youtube]

first off, props for posting video - that makes it really easy to give you tips.

it's clear that you are starting the motion that gets your leg around the bag (the "dexterity") before the other motion, the one that gets the bag off your foot, has had time to take effect. Watch that video, and keep in mind that the bag has to be off your foot before you try and get around it, or you're just going to whip it off to the side.

post another video after giving it a few shots, even if you still can't get it.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

BeginnerAgain
Circle Kicker

Post by BeginnerAgain » 13 Dec 2011 15:20

Thanks for the tips and the video. I'm going to continue working on it...I'm not gonna give up!

BeginnerAgain
Circle Kicker

Post by BeginnerAgain » 13 Dec 2011 18:13

I worked on it tonight and I think I improved.

In the video you posted, the dex seems to throw the foot forward rather than around. Mine seems to be the opposite, as mine goes around, not forward.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

http://youtu.be/kUWqYpDdpYE

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 13 Dec 2011 18:14

[Moved to Trick Tips]

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 14 Dec 2011 15:09

If you have a question again about a trick or set, before starting a new thread, please consult the master list and see if it's already got its own. The master list is in all capital letters at the top of this sub forum stating, "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING". Thread merged. -Erik (not a mod)

BeginnerAgain
Circle Kicker

Post by BeginnerAgain » 14 Dec 2011 17:56

Muffinman wrote:If you have a question again about a trick or set, before starting a new thread, please consult the master list and see if it's already got its own. The master list is in all capital letters at the top of this sub forum stating, "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING". Thread merged. -Erik (not a mod)
Erik, I'll do a better job next time. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 15 Dec 2011 12:51

Erik, it's my bad. I moved this from general footbag to trick tips & was in too much of a rush to look for the pixie thread.

BeginnerAgain, no worries. You're new and you're getting used to the forum. The mods are here to help out with this sort of stuff. Thanks for posting video, I think you'll keep getting good advice this way.

j13sarah
Circle Kicker

Re:

Post by j13sarah » 30 Oct 2013 08:43

Uranos wrote:1) Pixie foot close to body
2) Knee high, dont release the footbag too early otherwise the set will go too low
3)The quicker you let the footbag go off your foot, the lower the set. Try to lift your knee high and upwards.

Last but not least, Practice

Good luck! :)

I've been playing footbag for some time now and the one thing that screws me hard are pixies. I should be well past that trick but it just has me by the balls. I am half-ass when it comes to pixie sets. I think the above 1-2-3 helped me out a lot along with it being simple and concise.

I also caught wind that pointing the toe down once the bag is released helps to nail the movement. Maybe that will help me to reduce slurring the phuqing bag when I try to dex it.
"Rebel to Anything; Accede to Nothing" \m/

Ohios1
Multidex Master

drilling sets... Pixie

Post by Ohios1 » 06 Mar 2014 16:19

so ive been coming close to a pixie badge and i was wondering if im missing anything to get better faster...
this is what i do
I drill meg-plo rpt. then i start on my flip and do it until i get it. i do this 2 times every other session

i also have been working on smear-pix ss mirage rpt. Still havent got it all the way across thou. So ive been doing smear- pix ss mirage bs about 3 times a session.

i can do pickups on bs and ss but never do it. i can also do pix illusion on bs also. should i be doing these also instead of just working on the moves above?

The only drill one move when it comes to pixies... plo. that just so i can work on the set. I dont feel its good enough. Should i drill more pixie moves? Im closer the atmoic and that is crazy in my eyes.lol

Mike and Allan, I moved this into this Pixie thread as a new thread in the Tricks and Tips subforum is the wrong place for it. Cheers. -Erik (not a mod)
angeski

Allan

Re: drilling sets... Pixie

Post by Allan » 06 Mar 2014 16:34

Mike, I moved this into this forum as the projects forum is the wrong place for it. Cheers.

Ohios1
Multidex Master

Re: drilling sets... Pixie

Post by Ohios1 » 06 Mar 2014 17:46

shit sorry.
angeski

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Pixie/Open

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 08 Mar 2014 23:06

Mike, I started drilling Pixie ss Mirage *rpt and trying to break my record every time.

I have heard people saying this drill is the one to help you get good at Pixies. I just ignored it, like a dippy shit. I ignored Pixie ss Mirage> Smear drills and Magellan> PLO drills and all that other junk and started doing just Pixie ss Mirage b2b, breaking my record each time… then at one miraculous point, I went from 5 to 12 and that's when I noticed my Pixie game take shape. I was able to hit flowing Pixie toe shuffle all of the sudden. It was amazing.

The trick to them is to hop off the ground just a little bit with the support leg, and THAT is what gets the bag off your foot. Then you simply open your dexing leg up. The dexing leg only serves one purpose… that is to DEX. It does not "rip" open or snap outward to actively dex the bag. It just serves as a platform for the bag to launch from, then moves out of the way. It's all in the support leg. Pixie ss Mirage *rpt helps you realize that.

Hope this helps.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 10 Mar 2014 20:57

I disagree. You should be able to pixie reasonably well while keeping the support foot on the ground. There's not much use doing that, but I think it's an indication of good form. I was thinking about this the other day (drilling fairy sets). An indication of good form on both of those is how well you can do the set in "slow motion." The advice Ales Zelinka gave me (for both sets), which I found was a huge help, is that you raise your foot in a sharp manner, keeping your toes pulled up. Then you stop lifting your knee (at the highest point) and push it down and out (or in for fairy) (which is really with the hips, not the knee). Then the bag comes up through the hole you've made as your foot is going down, giving you more time to do stuff afterwards (eg. a quantum or atomic set). The momentum of this should mean you bounce a little on your support leg for general pixie moves (but not for slow mo pixie sets), but the only time when you need to make an specific effort to use the support leg for set height is when you're doing pixie ducking or spinning sets and want that extra height while keeping dexing leg tight and getting it to the ground quickly. For both pixie and fairy, if you have good form on the action, then you should get a set out while moving the leg relatively slowly, because you're dexing with your foot going down as the bag is coming up.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 11 Mar 2014 21:48

Jeremy, I appreciate the input. I've always been curious about how 1 person's way of doing a certain concept differs from another's. This isn't the place for it, but I'm going to post a thread about it in General Footbag in a second.

Ever since doing Pixies and Fairies this way, my sets have gotten better, so I know this tip worked for me. However, I do plan on experimenting with Ales's advice. It makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman