Pixie/Open

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 20 Jul 2008 22:55

Yeah I find a few toe set moves easier on my flipside because I tend to bring the bag up faster and sharper on that side. I especially notice this with fairy sets - my flipside is heaps cleaner and nicer because of this and I dex behind the knee - like a ss atomic set.

I think another key tip is not to point your toes with pixie or fairy sets.

capuchino man
Circle Kicker

Post by capuchino man » 21 Jul 2008 11:59

not sure maybe 10th?
Im a Footbagholic

Guydro
Multidex Master

Post by Guydro » 21 Jul 2008 13:16

Well I guess I just suck..... I think it took me about a 100 times before I could hit a trick out of the pixie set. Pixies are easy, my pixie set....not so much.
My girlfriend thinks I'm a dork.............:lol:
But she loves me anyways.
richardabshire wrote: There is only a handful of people on this planet that actually shred. The rest are only spectators.

"Guydro F. Hydro"
Guy Herndon

dan the man
Shredaholic

Post by dan the man » 22 Jul 2008 07:40

Jeremy wrote:
I think another key tip is not to point your toes with pixie or fairy sets.
what do u mean, i thought that you had to point your toes...?
Dan is the Man

challenge me!

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 22 Jul 2008 19:57

Some people do, some people don't.

If you set the bag and move your leg, but not your foot, the pixie is almost certain to be clean. I think it's a bit harder though.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

dan the man
Shredaholic

Post by dan the man » 23 Jul 2008 09:41

oh you mean like move your knee around the bag?
Dan is the Man

challenge me!

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 23 Jul 2008 12:37

No. It's like you just raise your leg, with your toe still pointed up in the toe stall position, and then point your knee out.

It looks sort of weird I think, but there are a few players who do it this way.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 23 Jul 2008 14:36

Clavens almost always points his toes.
Vasek does sometimes.
Jorden hardly ever does.

If you can set the bag straight without spinning every time you try, then it doesn't matter how you do it.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

Ohios1
Multidex Master

Having some problems with a couple tricks

Post by Ohios1 » 23 Mar 2010 20:30

Barrages. From a clipper pos, the ball keeps hitting my outside foot towards the end of the move. Any tips?

pixie ducking moves also. Can't get it high enough . Hit my head with my knee last time. LOL. Any help?

Merged with Pixie thread. Please don't start a topic with completely different tricks unless there is some correlation. For barrage help, see the already existent barrage thread. -Erik
angeski

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 24 Mar 2010 05:21

For the pixie ducking, first work on just high set pixie, don't try the ducking until you're comfortable with head height pixie set.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Pixie uptime

Post by smokefree » 09 Apr 2010 19:06

I tried posting about this in dimwalk but it didnt seem to catch much attention. I need help on my dimwalks, and all tricks with pixie uptime because I cant seem to "get it up" anymore" I just started shredding again and I cant do dimwalk anymore. How can I make the footbag raise about my head level.

[merged with pixie thread - Frank_]
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 26 Apr 2010 08:07

How are your in to out double around the worlds?

I suggest getting double around the world very solid, to the point where you can get at least 3 or 4 of them in a row (I mean linked together not just hitting the move). By getting proficient with double you learn how to execute your foot around the bag with minimal wasted motion and a controlled set. If you try to do a double with the bag going away from you or to far in it is really hard to do. Both minimal motion and proper setting lead to a good pixie foundation.

If you don't have the single around the world solid I would recommend starting with that until you can hit ten linked together, and then warm up with ten in a row before you work your doubles.

I hope that helps
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 27 Apr 2010 15:29

Great post Reid.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK8zo4NqsGE[/youtube]

Here is a video tutorial I made last year.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 27 Apr 2010 20:08

Was it a good post, Reid?
Or was it a good read, Reid?

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 27 Apr 2010 21:27

Reid's readers read Reid's reads
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 01 May 2010 15:43

yeah I can do double atws everytime. I use to do phoenix's a lot but id usually drop it during the butterfly. i cant get my pixies up high anymore. i used to be able to do it easily with my foot on the ground or in the air.
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 Jun 2010 07:25

I've never heard that there is a link between datw and pixie sets, and personally my pixie sets developed way before I could hit datw.

The advice I remember for pixie sets, that comes from Yacine Merzouk was to set the bag from "behind" your knee and to lift your knee up and then push it out. When I read that, I somehow managed to understand what it meant and hit uptime pixie sets almost immediately.

Ales Zelinka has probably better advice (not to say the above isn't good), which is that you should sharply raise your knee, keeping your foot over the same piece of ground from where it started and your toes pulled up (never point them). As soon as your knee reaches its highest point, you should push the knee outwards and your foot down (to land on that same spot).

When I started pixie sets I did them very quickly and without much control, but in fact when you understand the action you can do them very slowly, which is probably a better way of learning to begin with, because you can really work on getting good form and timing before starting to do the move quicker. Obviously when you have the set perfected it should be fairly quick to give you time for the downtime component, but control is always better than speed.

Hope this helps :)

drillbit
Shredalicious

open and shut sets

Post by drillbit » 21 Jan 2011 12:18

any tips tricks help or advice will be appreciated!

for some reason these sets kill me. they are a ton a work and practicing them beats me the hell up. i can only get about 10 or so really good attempts before i am cashed and done and my legs aching.

nailing the uptime aspect is near impossible, hence doing any component following the set is out of my grasp. :(

most tricks i can work and develop and each session see successes (even small ones) - open and shut however are pissing me off!

Merged with Pixie thread. I've renamed the Pixie and Fairy threads to include "Open" and "Shut". I understand if you are new and didn't know these sets' previous names, but in the future check the MASTER LIST at the top of this forum to find help for any particular topic. -Erik (not a mod)

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 21 Jan 2011 12:36

watch a lot of video an replicate.

do the motion with out a bag, in slow mo, in real time, all the time, in waiting lines, in the shower, in your head when you are going to bed.

do this an youll learn it :)

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 01 May 2011 08:55

When did people start referring to "pixie/open"?