leg cramps

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Troyson
Fearless

leg cramps

Post by Troyson » 06 Aug 2006 22:13

Today while i was at warped tour chris balch and i were shredding non-stop all day. anyway, when i went to go sit down my leg got a horrible cramp and it felt like it locked into place...why did this happen and is there any way to prevent it?

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 06 Aug 2006 22:18

Muscle cramps happen because your muscles aren't getting enough oxygen. The lack of oxygen creates a buildup of lactic acid, which causes the pain. Even if you are breathing normal and your circulation is good, sometimes your muscles will just exert themselves faster than they can get oxygen.

The best remedy for any type of muscle cramp is deep breaths. Take in deep breaths and let them out at a moderate speed. Stop playing and let your blood re-saturate with oxygen, and just keep taking deep breaths for a couple minutes. Give yourself a 3 - 5 minute break of just breathing after the pain subsides, then go back to shredding.

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 07 Aug 2006 09:22

stretching will prevent build up of lactic acid as well as increase bloodflow to the muscles which in part will supply them with more oxygen. Cramps can also be caused by dehydration, so drink up.

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 14 Aug 2006 09:38

you should also eat more bananas cause low potassium levels can cause cramps too.
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 14 Aug 2006 11:15

nope, thats not the kind of cramp he is talking about, i get it too. your muscles twist and tense up forcing your leg into one position for a little while, the only way to get it out is by forcing your leg straight, which hurts like a bitch. i asked my doctor and she said there is nothing you can do, i have gotten them even just putting my leg a funny way, especially when i do whirls.
Ben Rea