Shortness of breath

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
BuckRuckus
Egyptian Footgod

Shortness of breath

Post by BuckRuckus » 08 Aug 2006 10:30

Sometimes I can play for long periods of time before I need a breather. Other times - like this morning - I can only bust about 10 moves before I have to stop and catch my breath.

I know the circumstances are different for each shred; amount of sleep, full/empty stomach, temperature, pollution, time of day, etc.; but can any of these factors affect my breathing that much? Does anyone else experience this? And what do you do to be at your best for shred?

gangsta
BSOS Beast

Post by gangsta » 15 Aug 2006 19:54

Assuming you don't smoke before shredding sometimes... It could be Anemia, Occupational lung disease, Interstitial lung disease, asthma, emphazema, infection, fluid built up in the lungs, hyperventialtion, pneumothorax, bronchitis, pneumonia, fungus, partial lung collapse, or a lung abcess...

More than likely, it's either you're tired out, or the current air conditions, such as temp, pressure, altitude(!), or pollution like you said.

I always play at my best after a day or 2 of not playing (practicing) footbag.

Spontaneous Spaz
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spontaneous Spaz » 16 Aug 2006 12:59

gangsta wrote:Assuming you don't smoke before shredding sometimes... It could be Anemia, Occupational lung disease, Interstitial lung disease, asthma, emphazema, infection, fluid built up in the lungs, hyperventialtion, pneumothorax, bronchitis, pneumonia, fungus, partial lung collapse, or a lung abcess...

More than likely, it's either you're tired out, or the current air conditions, such as temp, pressure, altitude(!), or pollution like you said.

I always play at my best after a day or 2 of not playing (practicing) footbag.
i have asthma :(

BuckRuckus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by BuckRuckus » 16 Aug 2006 17:14

What does asthma feel like?

gangsta
BSOS Beast

Post by gangsta » 16 Aug 2006 19:33

Asthma feels like shortness of breath + coughing + phlegm.

Spontaneous Spaz
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spontaneous Spaz » 16 Aug 2006 19:40

asthma = constricted and inflamed bronchii... so basically i use less alveoli and have shorter breaths = i take in less oxygen than most people, thus have decreased endurance, and when breath in deeply and exhale deeply, you can hear a "wheezy" sound

i was born with asthma, i don't smoke, nor ever will

BuckRuckus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by BuckRuckus » 16 Aug 2006 22:00

Well, I don't think my condition is anything as severe as asthma. I can take deep breaths and there is no wheezing. I just find that my lungs can't keep up with me sometimes. I run out of breath before I'm even tired.

Maybe I'm just not in good enough shape. Or maybe I should concentrate more on breathing properly when playing. Hmm. Maybe I don't breathe at all when I shred! I don't even pay attention to it (until I'm out of breath).

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 17 Aug 2006 02:33

BuckRuckus wrote:Well, I don't think my condition is anything as severe as asthma. I can take deep breaths and there is no wheezing. I just find that my lungs can't keep up with me sometimes. I run out of breath before I'm even tired.

Maybe I'm just not in good enough shape. Or maybe I should concentrate more on breathing properly when playing. Hmm. Maybe I don't breathe at all when I shred! I don't even pay attention to it (until I'm out of breath).
ah. I see. You mean you run out of breath midrun? I often subconsciously hold my breath when I'm shredding... not good! When I concentrate on breathing properly my string length improves immediately. Not breathing could definately cause a shortness of breath. ;)

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

moparman
Shredalicious

Post by moparman » 20 Aug 2006 16:39

Yeah I have the same problem on my consecutive runs.

I have found that , like they said before me, concentrating on breathing helped me out a lot. I found that i wasn't even breathing until i lost control or fell. Yes, I have lost balance and went from l to _ while doing consecutives.
Chris Patterson

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 20 Aug 2006 19:42

sometimes it has to do with how you breathe during your session. breathing deep during your runs is always good. you can practice some deep breathing exercises... those are found on yoga or meditation websites. runners and other athletes have the same problem. i know some people think its "sissy" to meditate and do yoga... but its better for your body in the long run. not to mention yoga improves your flexibility and your muscles in general.

someone posted a topic that was along the lines of "dont stretch before you shred" but in my opinion they are wrong. when you stretch before you shred you can practice deep breathing... and during your session try to pay attention to how you breathe.

good luck, bro.
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Oroza
Fearless

Post by Oroza » 20 Aug 2006 21:09

you can practice breathing without stretching...its a meditational excersize, to concentrate on breathing without trying to regulate or deepen it...just let yourself breath as your body wants to....and concentrate on its rhythm, clears your mind of all else.

buck, you said it happend in the morning? it might be that your inhaling dust at night while you sleep...., it happens to me sometimes, its takes sometime to adjust in the morning....also its usually more humid in the morning...another factor.

about the stretching thing holly... i agree that you shouldnt stretch too hard before footbag, it makes my muscles feel weak. definately stretch AFTER and a little bit in between.
Plain, with everything.

BuckRuckus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by BuckRuckus » 20 Aug 2006 23:14

The following is a late-night drinken post, so excuse my bad Kelsey Grammar and Tori Spelling mistakes:

I think my breathing is worse in the mornings. And its funny that you mention dust, because my place has been dusty lately on account of construction going on in the appt. below me.

I actually do a bit of breathing meditation and practice mindfulness and all that jazz (dont do yoga though), but I'm still not concentrating on my breathing when I shred. It takes so much brainpower to think about form and technique, that I keep forgetting to mind my breathing.

I don't know what the cause is , but at least I've figured out that I can play better in the evenings than in the morning.

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 21 Aug 2006 00:14

Sometimes I concentrate on breathing in/out once a contact to simplify it. That's a little too quick but if it's too confusing to concentrate on form and the breathing, I do that.

Bloggy

Challenge

Spontaneous Spaz
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spontaneous Spaz » 21 Aug 2006 05:34

james_dean wrote:Sometimes I concentrate on breathing in/out once a contact to simplify it. That's a little too quick but if it's too confusing to concentrate on form and the breathing, I do that.
i like to take breathing into the equation:

toe set >> B-in [inhale] > op in [dex] > B-out [exhale] > toe [del] > rpt

breathing mirage lol...

Toby
Shredaholic

Post by Toby » 24 Aug 2006 02:21

james_dean wrote:Sometimes I concentrate on breathing in/out once a contact to simplify it. That's a little too quick but if it's too confusing to concentrate on form and the breathing, I do that.
Nic has had shortness of breath problems as well. I don't know about the other people, but i have seen how you and nic play footbag and i'm not surprised that you guys forget to breath when you play. You guys focus so hard when you are shredding. Have you tried just relaxing when you shred?

props on the perfectly clean double dyno btw, that's amazing.
Toby Suggate

I'm thinking about something... and there is a very high chance it has something to do with footbag.

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 27 Aug 2006 16:21

Haha, could be it, could be it! Hard not to concentrate when shuffling though. That's the only time I have issues with forgetting to breath. It's getting better though, and I notice straight away if I'm not breathing now, whereas before I didn't.
props on the perfectly clean double dyno btw, that's amazing
Thanks :) It's a fun trick. In the words of shrednie... "They're the tightest dexes I've ever seen" :lol:

Bloggy

Challenge