Buy a jump rope!

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Aaron Shepard
Shredaholic

Buy a jump rope!

Post by Aaron Shepard » 13 Nov 2007 16:51

I am not saying that jumping rope before kicking will help you as much as it did me, but I have had a lot of benefits since I received a jump rope as a gift for Christmas last year. I do not have shin splints anymore, and that is huge for me because I used to get them bad if I played for more then two hours. I had to rest for a couple days sometimes.

Anyways, it also increased my calf strength, the height of my jumps, and the overall speed and strength of my tricks. My legs go higher on sets, my legs don't get tired, and I am faster.

Here is what I do with a jump rope with my stretching and warm ups before I train at footbag.

150 jumps with both feet, then 50 on each side with just one foot. Rest a bit.

Repeat.

On third set, I do the last 10 on one leg as high and slow as I can.

Repeat.

It equals 1000 jumps. I did not start doing that many though. I had to build up. I would do 50, then rest a second, then 100, then 150, 200, 250, then I was exhausted. Then I just switched it up after a while, but kept my practice steady.

I think that this would be a big boost for people trying to learn superfly or ps whirl. I hope that it helps you. I just thought I would share my idea. It also seemed to help my knees, but it could just be me. Good luck ya'll.

EoghanMcDowell
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by EoghanMcDowell » 23 Nov 2007 13:06

Hey dude, hows it going. Your advice is well placed. I never thought about it but jump rope does seem like it would improve leg strength, and endurance. Thanks for the tip dude. The bag I got from you up at SJFF is so choice right now. I still can't believe the quality of your bags, at such a low price. Good job you. Continue stitching and shredding. Peace in.

Eoghan
Eoghan Patrick Morgan McDowell

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Nov 2007 16:56

I think Chris Pinkus cross-trained with jump-rope too.

Magedark
Circle Kicker

Post by Magedark » 23 Nov 2007 18:55

This seems like a good idea to try. I'll buy one and try it out. Thanks for the advice.
Allen Roman

Aaron Shepard
Shredaholic

Post by Aaron Shepard » 12 Dec 2007 14:57

Wow, I am glad that my idea seemed to help some people. It helped me out a lot! When I am done my calfs are like iron pistons.

I also would like to try jumping up and down on and off of ledges over and over. Maybe start on something 1/2 a meter tall, and then progress up to something a meter tall. I do this in hopes of improving my symposium tricks in addition to adjusting my legs to be prepare for the shock that it must force.

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 12 Dec 2007 18:27

just be careful when jumping, and make sure you land properly.

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 12 Dec 2007 22:17

I have just started to get into skipping and I am certain it will help me alot.

Also, last night I was doing alternating toe stalls while skipping! I managed to get like.. 4 or 5 ish. :lol:
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Aaron Shepard
Shredaholic

Post by Aaron Shepard » 13 Dec 2007 00:26

Hey Tom, what's up man!!!?

Skip-kick sounds sweet. I can see it in my head. Would look good in a routine. Pretty innovative. Keep up the creative genious skills. Hope to kick with you again soon.

I was wondering if you could help me, non health wise for a moment. I do not want to be a "circle kicker" anymore and want to upgrade to "riot zone gladiator." Do you know how I can make this done? Please help! If not you then someone! AhhhhhhhhhH!

underooninja
BSOS Beast

Post by underooninja » 13 Dec 2007 10:37

i got into jump rope to increase my stamina. i got the advice from a mma/boxer. its been very helpful.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Dec 2007 15:58

I was getting really into skipping a while back, but then I moved house and lost my rope! I'm sure they're really quite cheap to pick up, but I think it really helped with things like stamina and endurance.

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 16 Dec 2007 18:11

Skipping barefoot is really helpful because it makes me not want to trip up with my skip rope. A smack in the toes with one of those things really hurts.

Doing a couple hundred to warm up everyday is pretty amazing. I've noticed I land a little softer now playing footbag.

As for you no longer wanting to be a circle kicker, I believe you need to contact an admin and ask real nice. Maybe a mod can do it for you, but for sure an admin. :)
Pengpeng Du

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 16 Dec 2007 18:19

I've thought about doing some jumping recently, good idea.

Also the phrase underneath your name is only a sign of how many posts you have unless a mod's changed it to something like "think punk".
Danny P.

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 16 Dec 2007 18:45

The other day I continued practicing skipbag and I managed to get 17 alternating toe stalls while skipping and also toe>ss toe>op toe>ss toe>op toe while skipping. :D

Who can beat 17 alternating toes?
Tom Mosher

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 17 Dec 2007 13:15

if my basement was bigger i could give it a shot.. And its way too cold to shred outside anymore.

Has anyone gotten shin splint problems from jump ropin?

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 17 Dec 2007 14:48

Ben, skipping has the effect of fixing shin splints because it strengthens not just your calves but also the fronts of your shins, which is the part that is usually lacking which causes splints.
Tom Mosher

Aaron Shepard
Shredaholic

Post by Aaron Shepard » 18 Dec 2007 00:28

Way to go Tom! I hope that you start hitting some cool jump rope footbag tricks. I think that just plain jump rope is great for your health, but if you can mix it and create some footbag tricks at the same time, you would be amazing!

Thanks for the help on how to become a riot-zone gladiator, ha ha ha.

And Ben, I also live in a chilly area right now and jumping rope is a great way to warm up. I have to play in the garage and it is cold in there. Jumping rope gets the stiffness out of my legs. Could just be something that helps me though, I don't know.

Anyway, keep up the good work and I hope that you all continue to improve! Happy holidays.

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 18 Dec 2007 02:29

Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

underooninja
BSOS Beast

Post by underooninja » 18 Dec 2007 10:04

wow pengu youre right. looking back i notice i land softer too thanks to jump-rope. cool.

gMoney
Think Pink

Post by gMoney » 19 Dec 2007 12:18

Who can beat 17 alternating toes?

even though I hate that saying.
Grant Mooney
Footblog
Challenge