Body Pillows

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Jorden
Retro Athlete

Body Pillows

Post by Jorden » 19 Dec 2007 10:14

Anyone else use them? I sleep with one every night at home. If you keep it between your knees when you sleep on your side it helps the spine stay aligned. I also find it allows you to keep your knees bent throughout the night so they don't hyperextend when lying on your back.

Knee and/or back problems? Maybe a body pillow could help.

Thoughts?
Jorden Moir

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 19 Dec 2007 10:55

i sleep with a body pillow, they are awesome, they make me sleep a LOT better than if i were to just have a regular pillow.

gMoney
Think Pink

Post by gMoney » 19 Dec 2007 12:12

I've thought about buying one before, because I have posture problems and I read somewhere online that body pillows can help with it. Plus I can never sleep comfortably because I'm always tossing and turning and trying to find a good position. Anybody want to post a good brand or a good place to buy them?
Grant Mooney
Footblog
Challenge

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 19 Dec 2007 14:18

I sleep with one too. I believe I've been sleeping with one since I started sleeping in my own bed as a toddler.

Actually, now that I think about it, each person in my whole family sleeps with one.

It's nice on the knees and hips since instead of lying on your side with your knees together, you're in a more natural position with hip and spine alignment because your knees are spaced apart with the pillow thus making it perpendicular to the axis of the spine. This relieves pressure points in different parts of the body.

It also helps my dad not snore since he's lying on his side.

I prefer the oblong (cylinder) shaped body pillows better than the rectangular ones. But the rectangular ones are more common. You don't need to be picky about brand or anything, as long as it's comfy feeling to you. My mom made mine.
Pengpeng Du

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 19 Dec 2007 14:55

I used to to have a cush pillow, but it wasn't the size of my body. I always used it to help sleep on my side, so that my arm doesn't cross over to my other arm and cause needless extension of my shoulder blades. However, it died a couple of months ago like a good footbag: it turned into one floppy mess.

I think my back pain began when I retired my cush pillow.

I seriously want a body pillow now! :P
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 19 Dec 2007 15:32

Because I honestly haven't seen a body-pillow in my travels, I haven't picked one up. However, when I first realized that body-pillows weren't irregular, and not just for pregnant women (where in the world did I have that pre-conception...??) I started putting a regular head pillow inbetween my knees, and it feels so much more comfortable.

Perhaps a body pillow can become a personal christmas gift..

Thanks Jorden :)
Jay Boychuk

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 19 Dec 2007 16:20

I lurrveee Body pillows.

(almost as much as Ken's drifters.)
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 20 Dec 2007 01:52

jay7 wrote:Because I honestly haven't seen a body-pillow in my travels, I haven't picked one up. However, when I first realized that body-pillows weren't irregular, and not just for pregnant women (where in the world did I have that pre-conception...??) I started putting a regular head pillow inbetween my knees, and it feels so much more comfortable.

Perhaps a body pillow can become a personal christmas gift..

Thanks Jorden :)
Totally!
I started using a pillow between my knees since my knee pain became severe. When I sleep on my belly I also put a pillow under my thighs so that my knees don't press into the bed (but I'm not so sure how good for my body that maneuver is...)

Oh yeah, but I still have no idea what a body pillow is, after this many posts...

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 20 Dec 2007 08:14

It's an elongated pillow (usually like, 4 ft long) that goes length-wise along your bed that you wrap your arms and legs around when you sleep.
Jorden Moir

Moxie
Taphophile

Re: Body Pillows

Post by Moxie » 20 Dec 2007 13:31

Jorden wrote:I also find it allows you to keep your knees bent throughout the night so they don't hyperextend when lying on your back.
I don't sleep with one but I have tight hamstrings because I sleep with my legs bent-- letting the hamstrings shrink while I'm sleeping. I didn't know it was likely or possible to hyper extend your knees when lying on your back without doing something dumb. :-)
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

underooninja
BSOS Beast

Post by underooninja » 21 Dec 2007 13:00

you guys and your great ideas rock! ive slept with one before but i never connected a reduction in back and knee pain too it. *sigh* ill get one next week.

Bringerofpie
Fearless

Post by Bringerofpie » 21 Dec 2007 13:22

Here's what I sleep with and it works great: two and a half hookers.

If you liked body pillows, you'll love this.
"Fuck it man, you just gotta do it."

Joe Snyder

Representing FLF (Fort Lauderdale Footbaggers)

http://onlycountria.myminicity.com

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 21 Dec 2007 17:41

Moxie wrote:I don't sleep with one but I have tight hamstrings because I sleep with my legs bent-- letting the hamstrings shrink while I'm sleeping.
Me too. Like, my whole entire life. And I have THE most inflexible hamstrings imaginable! I've tried to ween myself onto sleeping onto my back, because I never could before, and it's working, although I always sleep way easier with bent knees.

zeroman13
Post Master General

Post by zeroman13 » 27 Dec 2007 19:26

Body pillow's RULE!!!!! I sleep with one and I find that really helps the knees! I, almost always, sleep on my side and my body pillow is always there inbetween my knee's!
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

underooninja
BSOS Beast

Post by underooninja » 29 Dec 2007 11:40

ive started using one under my knees when i sleep and i can tell a difference in just a few days. i think my knees are being slightly hyper-extended because of my bed and the pillow fixes it. its a cheaper solution than buying an entire new bed. now it doesnt hurt so bad before and after a shred.

frozenwalkway
Shredaholic

Post by frozenwalkway » 03 Jan 2008 19:11

u use a body pillow as a regular pillow is that wierd?

sometimes i sleep with it on my side with it between my arms and legs
Sonny Duong

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 03 Jan 2008 19:18

Erik Chan wrote:
Moxie wrote:I don't sleep with one but I have tight hamstrings because I sleep with my legs bent-- letting the hamstrings shrink while I'm sleeping.
Me too. Like, my whole entire life. And I have THE most inflexible hamstrings imaginable! I've tried to ween myself onto sleeping onto my back, because I never could before, and it's working, although I always sleep way easier with bent knees.
Also you could try stretching your hamstrings every day, this helped me heaps.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 08 Jan 2008 00:22

Im with Emily and Eric, my hams are really tight. Stretching helps but I dont do it consistently so they are still really inflexible. That also either affects or causes my foot problem.

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 08 Jan 2008 21:34

have you seen those ones that start at your feet, wrap around your neck, then go down along your back? those are intense. they're like double body pillows.

i use a normal pillow between my legs, and brian for my arms. big body pillows dont fit in a full size bed with two people.
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com