Weed and footbag

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Pinkus
Shredalicious

Weed and footbag

Post by Pinkus » 07 Apr 2009 00:39

Marijuana paralyzes the cilia of the conductive airways, and destroys the alveolar walls of the lung. This is true of any type of inhaled smoke. It can lead to lung fatigue, CO2 retention, emphysema, cancer, bronchitis, and it can compound with other respiratory illnesses to cause respiratory failure.

The lungs were designed to breath air (21% O2, 78% Nitrogen) with a relative humidity of 100% at a temperature of 37C.

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 08 Apr 2009 18:38

it also helps me concentrate/ get in the right state of mind to play!!!
there are good sides and bad sides to it, like every other drug out there ;)
turn on that vaporizer and get rid of that smoke!!!
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 16 Apr 2009 19:06

:)

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 16 Apr 2009 19:08

.....how long does it take from the lungs to recover?

Pinkus
Shredalicious

Post by Pinkus » 16 Apr 2009 21:26

Jazzkid wrote:.....how long does it take from the lungs to recover?
It depends on the damage. If enough alveolar walls have been destroyed, it becomes permanent. You may not notice it during your footbag career as it takes awhile, but it can cause the last decade of life to be in a hospital bed instead of at home being healthy.

An unfiltered marijuana joint is actually far more damaging to the lungs than cigarettes. Here is a good picture that depicts what happens:
Image[/list]

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 19 Apr 2009 18:21

Hmm, is this a drunk post?

Pinkus
Shredalicious

Post by Pinkus » 19 Apr 2009 21:33

crazylegs32 wrote:Hmm, is this a drunk post?
Nope, just giving some fair warning, as many people believe marijuana to be harmless. Which may be true at first, but it will rear its ugly head as people exercise less and become more lazy.

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 22 Apr 2009 21:38

Cool story bro.
James Randall

hrdcorethndr1
Shredaholic

Post by hrdcorethndr1 » 05 Jun 2009 04:16

Weed and Footbag were never and will never be a good combination, in my personal expirience weed lead to less and less of the things i had previously enjoyed such as learning footbag and just having a good time, i experimented and i will always regret that but i am glad that i have learned what i have and the whole expirience has pointed me towards a better destination in my life. The negative affects i found were that i just couldnt do it, some people still can but eventually your lungs and brain wont take it, i cannot say every single person's affects from weed will end this way, but like i said in my personal expirience and opinion weed is only negative and the more it is done, the more negative to your body and game it becomes.

TomTilly
BSOS Beast

Post by TomTilly » 12 Jun 2009 09:05

I think weed and shred have nothing to do with each other, but I still think weed is better than cigarettes. I agree that its smoke is not filled, but notice that most of the people don't smoke 6-7 joints per day, but one a week. People who smoke cigarettes smoke often a whole box (or more) per day.

Weed also makes a lot of fun. I don't smoke because of it's healthyness, but for the feeling, the fun and hapiness with my friends.

Most of the people who smokes weed can control his consumerism, like people who drinks alcohol. Rarely I drink some beers with my friends, but not 15 beers every day...

So, I agree that it is unhealthy, but I still think it is a great drug. Footbaggers use it because of the fun, like footbag is about fun too :)
Tilly Tamás

"The mistake is not to drop it. The mistake is not to pick it up."

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 28 Jun 2009 17:26

Colin wanted me to post in this topic.

On Saturday I did the best routine I've ever done in front of an audience. I was mildly stoned and drunk at the time.

I rarely smoke weed, and think it's both dangerous for your health and detrimental to your footbag abilities. This is the only time I've had a positive experience trying to play footbag stoned (positive as in playing better than expected, as opposed to having a good time). I think it's a silly thing to do, and the only reason I did it on this occasion was because I didn't know that I'd have to perform again.

Weed decreases your aerobic fitness, causes cancer and other illnesses and dramatically increases your risk of mental illness. It can be fun or relaxing, which is why I smoke on occasions, although I view this as a poor risk assessment (the negative consequences outweigh the positives).

Having one positive experience smoking weed and playing footbag is not enough to convince me that it's a good idea, and I'd recommend everybody avoid mixing the two.

Sorry Colin, I don't think this is what you were hoping I'd say on this topic :P

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 29 Jun 2009 08:30

Jeremy wrote: Weed decreases your aerobic fitness, causes cancer and other illnesses and dramatically increases your risk of mental illness.
Please cite credible, unbiased sources
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 29 Jun 2009 20:33

Cancer;

http://ersj.org.uk/cgi/content/abstract/31/2/280

Cannabis use and risk of lung cancer: a case–control study, S. Aldington et al (2008), European Repository Journal, vol 31, pp 280-286

Conclusion;
In conclusion, the results of the present study indicate that long-term cannabis use increases the risk of lung cancer in young adults.

Mental Health;

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lance ... 3/abstract

Cannabis use and risk of psychotic or affective mental health outcomes: a systematic review, T Moore et al. (2007), The Lancet, Vol 370, pp 319-328

Conclusion;
The evidence is consistent with the view that cannabis increases risk of psychotic outcomes independently of confounding and transient intoxication effects, although evidence for affective outcomes is less strong. The uncertainty about whether cannabis causes psychosis is unlikely to be resolved by further longitudinal studies such as those reviewed here. However, we conclude that there is now sufficient evidence to warn young people that using cannabis could increase their risk of developing a psychotic illness later in life.
I believe the OP dealt with the issue of aerobic fitness, and this only applies to smoking weed, as opposed to other methods of ingestion, but if you really want me to find sources of that as well then I'm sure I can, although I presume you'd be just as capable as I am of doing that.

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 29 Jun 2009 22:44

Not to nitpick, but from the first study itself:
The aim of the present study was to determine the risk of lung cancer associated with cannabis smoking.
emphasis mine.

I'd just like to state that I wouldn't be surprised if the long-term use of smoking anything will increase the risk of lung cancer.

This is just my opinion and is not based on any study, scientific or otherwise.

Carry on.
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 30 Jun 2009 00:47

Yep for sure, inhaling any kind of smoke is bad. I think that study found that smoking weed increased the chances of cancer slightly more than smoking tobacco, weighted depending on how much you smoke. I can probably download the whole article from my uni account and post it up (assuming we subscribe to the European Respiratory Journal) if anybody is particularly interested. I imagine it's quite dry though.

Also I just noticed a hilarious typo my reference for that article. I'm guessing a lazy spell check was the cause :P

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 30 Jun 2009 21:47

In reference to the mental health aspects- Theres outside influence skewing the results. I think mentally screwy people may be trying lots of substances, not just mj. And the fact that you are using a natural plant unprocessed and a guy in a costume can pop out of a bush and grab you and put you in jail-Thats a pretty good cause for "paranoia". I think the paranoid ones are the people making the laws and weapons though. :wink:

I completely agree smoking mj is bad for your lungs, its smoke afterall. Possibly its saving grace may be that its also a potent expectorant. A chronic smoker will have those lung clearing coughs which remove the bad stuff as its deposited. If I use a vaporizer for awhile my lungs seem cleansed compared to smoke tho/
From what I know and by the cali athletic associations tests alot of mma fighters smoke weed also. So, we have pro football, basketball, mma, and a few footbaggers who all play at top levels while smoking weed, right? Weed is not a footbag thing so get over it if you dont smoke. Weed is only associated with footbag because some people used to do both and now do neither. Dont worry about what they think.

underooninja
BSOS Beast

Post by underooninja » 01 Mar 2010 16:03

i think anyone with any questions about marijuana should look up norml or dean becker and maybe marijuana policy project for information before listening to hokey-half-science from some character on this board...but if you just fired one up and finding it all to be a bit much here are some sites to get you started. [if research only is what you crave then check the links section at norml.]
http://norml.org/
http://www.mpp.org/
http://www.drugtruth.net/cms/
http://endprohibition.org/

but if you just want to know more about everything psychoactive [though i find some of the information a bit out of date]
http://www.erowid.org/

look for yourself, do some research and be your own judge. dont be a lemming. just because someone said something is true doesnt make it so. we are all entitled to our own opinions; even opinions based on translations and interpretations of truth. but we are not entitled ownership of the facts.
lonnie hobbs
o0((skyliners))0o
*it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you*

grinderman
Circle Kicker

Post by grinderman » 09 Mar 2010 08:28

Hi, I'm 30 years young, and I LOOOVE weed.

Seriously though, marijuana is good for certain things as long as I already feel motivated. If I'm sitting on the couch playing video games, I will continue to do so if I smoke. If I am feeling alert, it will help motivate me to kick, pick up the guitar, play with the dog, and eat cheeseburger flavored Doritoes.

notyelf
Hack Fiend

Post by notyelf » 06 Apr 2010 14:07

This is going to be recursively contradictory but here's my thoughts;

Life is bad for you. You are born dying. Living will inevitably cause death. Walking wears on your legs, typing on a key board wears on your wrists, sitting up from waking in the morning wears out your stomach muscles...using your brain will cause wear and tear. This is why by 30 you are more prone to losing muscle mass, your cerebral cortex is prone to shrinking etc etc and so forth ad nausem. Doing just about ANYTHING can lead to risks and harmful effects...it's called entropy. Somethings will naturally have a higher risk than others. George Burns lived to be 100 and was famous for always smoking a cigar. Everyone's body is different, so a few studies here and there is not conclusive. Having said that, yes I think inhaling any sort of carcinogen will yield more harmful affects than if you were to not. I generally refrain, however if you are enjoying yourself and not causing anyone harm in the process (please don't go on a tirade about drug money...that's outside the context of this post) then more power to you.

To the original poster, what is your purpose? Are you trying to 'save' people? If so, there are much more noble causes, with much more real world impact than harassing a group of people that are more likely healthier than most others. Also, while your intentions of 'helping' people out are noble, who are you, and what gives you any more right than anyone else to 'know' what is best for others? Because you have researched a few subjects having a dislike for substance abuse? This really only makes you sound like a pompous ass who thinks he knows whats better for everyone than they do.

Do everyone a favor and find something productive and useful to spend your energy on. Smoking marijuana is a minor insignificance in the overall realm of the world by comparison of the real issues at hand. More people are dying from starvation than smoking weed. Are you going to go preach to a village of starving children to eat more?
Shannon - Yes I am a boy

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 09 Apr 2010 20:04

I just find it funny that this topic is usually on top of the health section... for the last 4 years.

Hurray weed.
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!