30 pounds in 3 months-possible?

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Radek Deko
Shredalicious

30 pounds in 3 months-possible?

Post by Radek Deko » 06 May 2009 19:24

a
Last edited by Radek Deko on 13 Sep 2012 10:17, edited 4 times in total.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 06 May 2009 21:21

I believe there's some helpful info in this thread. Definitely read through it if you had not already.
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 07 May 2009 09:37

Lol I guarantee half of modified interpreted the subject title wrong.
Last edited by BainbridgeShred on 27 Aug 2009 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 07 May 2009 13:17

P90X will get you ripped and take off fat, but do nothing to help gain the kind of muscle gains you are talking about.

Aaron Orton is an expert on both muscle gain and weight loss. Hopefully he'll peak his head in on this topic with some good advice.
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 08 May 2009 10:40

Moved to H&I

For a 100 lb 15 year old newbie, p90x should be fine. Do the prescribed workouts, and eat. Especially protein - aim for 130+ grams/day. 150 on your workout days. If you can't make that number with whole foods, use the powder. Whey protein powder is especially good right after your workouts - it digests really quickly, so it's great to eat when your body is screaming for protein. Whole foods are better before bed because they digest more slowly. Cottage cheese - eat that shit with a spoon.

Understand that muscles are made out of protein, and that only dietary protein matters. The body does not store protein for future use - you have to shovel it in there every day. Understand that the body repairs and builds your muscles while you sleep - not while you're working out. If you're checking yourself in the mirror while you work out and say 'but I'm so ripped now!', that's just from increased blood flow. It's temporary. Real gains rely on your kitchen, your bed, and your workouts.

Eat. Sleep. EAT.

OH GOD EAT MORE, and 8hrs + of sleep every night.
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

Radek Deko
Shredalicious

Post by Radek Deko » 08 May 2009 18:33

Thanks a lot for the tips, and someone asked if i want to lose weight? No i weigh 100 pounds. I have barely any fat on my body. I'm also going to buy whey protein, so that will help i hope. Also you guys are saying to work out 3 days a week, well the p90x+ is 6 days a week, but it includes yoga one of the days and a fighting style the other day so i think that helps the recovery. Thanks a lot for the tips, I want Arron to view this over and give me some good tips :D because i know hes an expert.

Again thanks for the tips

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 09 May 2009 17:15

Sergey Pikalov

Radek Deko
Shredalicious

Post by Radek Deko » 10 May 2009 05:35

Well Im using p90x+ already so i dont need scooby to help me :P

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 10 May 2009 09:32

I started writing, but it'd save a lot of time if I just go somewhere and copy/paste this.
What to Eat

Your dietary staples should include:

Lean animal protein sources, including but not limited to:

-Most turkey and chicken in general, especially if it is skinless. Turkey and chicken breasts especially. Contrary to dumb internet rumors, going to the deli counter to have them slice up a roasted or smoked turkey breast for you is also fine.

-Ground turkey, chicken, beef or pork that is >90% lean

-Virtually all forms of fish, even the fattier fishes are very good for you. Canned fish is still often packed in oil, however, which should be avoided.

-Whole eggs. The unhealthiness of whole eggs is a myth; contrary to past assumptions, they have no impact on heart disease at all.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/conten...act/281/15/1387

The main reason for this is that cholesterol in food does not impact the actual cholesterol level in your blood; almost all your cholesterol is made in your liver, based mainly on your saturated fat & trans fat consumption.

Whole grains, including but not limited to:
-Whole wheat bread, bagels, rolls, etc.
-Whole wheat pasta
-Brown rice
-Oatmeal
-Whole grain breakfast cereals like Cheerios and Grape Nuts

Virtually all fruits and vegetables, including beans and dry-roasted nuts.

Healthy fats like olive oil (for sauces, dressings & low-temperature cooking) and canola oil (for high-temperature cooking), and Omega-3 rich fishes.

Low fat dairy products like skim milk, low fat/nonfat yogurt and reduced fat cheeses. Just be aware that some �reduced fat� cheese are still relatively high in saturated fat.
This is specific. Where it says 'brown rice', that doesn't meant that 'white rice' is almost as good. (White rice is bad)

Fat isn't poison. Don't fear fat. You need fat. I don't mean that you should go eat a stick of butter, but calorie dense foods will make you gain weight. Eat Almonds, peanut butter, blah blah blaaaaaaah.
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

Radek Deko
Shredalicious

Post by Radek Deko » 10 May 2009 09:39

Also i have this protein shake can any1 tell me if i picked the right one? Because i have been using it for a week and it tastes great but idk if its better then whey protein

Im using this
http://www.supplementmarket.com/dymatiz ... p-364.html

Btw. why is white rice bad?

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 10 May 2009 21:58

That stuff will certainly help you put on weight, but I don't think it's the best product for you.

1300 calories is a LOT. It's probably about half of what you should be eating each day (although I'm not sure about this. I don't know how these numbers work in teens who are still growing). The problem is that more than 80% of these calories are coming from carbohydrates, when what you need to focus on is getting as much protein as you can. If you were to use nothing but this product for food, there's no way that you could meet your protein requirements without becoming a disgusting blob because of the huge excess of carbs that you'd be eating. This is geared toward people who are 240 lbs and *still* trying to put on lots of weight.

I'd probably recommend taking half-servings of this stuff because it's sooo calorie dense and you're so small. 1300 calories in a shake is overkill at 100 lbs. Next time pick up a product like this - 24 g protein, and only a few grams each of carbs and fat.

Oh, and the protein in your product is mostly whey protein.

Short answer - white rice is basically brown rice with the best stuff stripped away. Fibre and nutrients.

More important than nerdy technical details is that you stick to your program and bust your ass while doing it.

Aside from that all you need to know is to eat sensibly, being mindful of getting enough protein and calories in general, and getting lots of sleep.
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 11 May 2009 17:53

This is a pretty interesting article about diets and being an athlete - although significantly it's largely about endurance athletes, not body builders.

http://scienceblogs.com/bushwells/2009/ ... e_nutr.php

To sum up - eating fat is good for you. One study recommended a diet of 65% fat diet while training (with a 70% carb diet for the last 3 days before competition).

Obviously you still want to balance energy input and expenditure so that you don't get fat or starve.

Radek Deko
Shredalicious

Post by Radek Deko » 12 May 2009 16:50

I didint read the whole article but my point is to bulk up not to lose weight.

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 15 May 2009 18:57

Well Im using p90x+ already so i dont need scooby to help me Razz
You sound like you're expecting the supplements to do all the work for you and get you ripped. And it is very sad because you're only fifteen.
Sergey Pikalov

Junior
BSOS Beast

Post by Junior » 16 May 2009 00:11

I`m 16 and my weight is 147 pounds and i don`t think when you are so yong(same as me) you should use protein shakes, you can make your body during some years without any bioadds, go in for athletics or just do some physical exercises every morning, it works belive me)
20 years old...
Still hope to be some good;)

Andrey Dyakonov

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 16 May 2009 03:24

People tend to misunderstand what protein shakes are. They aren't drugs, they aren't hormones, their just protein. Protein is one of the three macro-nutrients along with fat and carbohydrates. They're called macro-nutrients because our body needs them in large quantities, as opposed to micro-nutrients, vitamins and minerals, that our body requires in small quantities.

Whey protein is made from dairy, whey is a bi-product from the production of cheese. It's a cheap, easily digested protein.

Again, protein powder isn't drugs, it's just food.

* someone Radek's size should be able to easily meet his dietary needs using whole foods, and this would be the best thing to do, but no harm will (or could possibly) come from him using a protein powder. And he's a 100 lb 15 year old - nothing about that sentence suggests to me that he knows how to put together a working diet for himself - powder will make that a lot easier.

Radek: updates?
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 16 May 2009 07:37

Colin,

I do not discourage Radek from taking supplements. It is his responsibility to be careful about what he puts in his body, not mine. However, this whole thread is about supplements and not workouts. It starts like this: "Alright, I'm 15 years old and i decided to get some muscle! Im 5'4. My friend bought a thing called p90x Plus. " and continuous like this: "Well Im using p90x+ already so i dont need scooby to help me". What kind of argument is that? His main interest is to try the new product that's on the market and not "get ripped". The guy needs guidelines on how to properly perform exercises without getting himself injured and not on where to go and purchase the best protein shake.
Sergey Pikalov

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 16 May 2009 08:27

p90x is a lifting routine, not a supplement :)
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 16 May 2009 09:27

i thought I was gonna die laughing, thanks you letting me know, Colin. :D
Sergey Pikalov

Radek Deko
Shredalicious

Post by Radek Deko » 16 May 2009 16:59

hahaha that is so funny:D