Symp whirls and barflys

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Ohios1
Multidex Master

Symp whirls and barflys

Post by Ohios1 » 27 Apr 2010 21:02

So been trying to do symp whirls and barflys and its like I'm hitting the ball when I bring the leg around in ps whirl. When it comes to symp barflys, it's like my mind won't let me jump cause I don't think I can get that high. The front in my knee is starting to hurt a lil. Is there anyway way to get my jump higher or make my knee stronger? Anything u guys have to say would help.

Moved to Health and Injuries from Trick Tips. The question is too general. Better to ask about PS whirl or Superfly, mayhap. -Erik
angeski

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 13 May 2010 00:25

Hello unknown prodigy :)

Your question is a little difficult to answer because I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. When I first saw the topic heading I thought "what a weird combination of tricks to be asking for help for." Weird because I would have had separate topics for each since they seem so different. However in reading what you've said, it sounds like you're actually asking for tips for ps whirl and superfly (symp barfly).

If that's the case then I really hope you already have strong non paradox symp whirls and non symp paradox whirls and good barflies.

If those moves aren't strong make them strong.

With PS Whirl and superfly, my main advice is not to jump high at all. Instead life your knee up high off the ground, but try to keep your head still. It's like a one footed tuck jump, although you don't tuck your leg as much :P So if you watch a video of Vasek hitting these tricks, the height of his head above the ground doesn't change very much - that's what you should be aiming for.

The other thing that has really helped me with these tricks is trying to really focus on the landing. Try the moves without a bag and try to get both the action right but also land in a really stable and controlled manner. If you do it like this without the bag, the landing should feel easy and have basically no chance of hurting your knee. Now you just need to transfer this into doing it with the bag.

In regards to hitting the bag with your foot, I usually find that this is because you're doing the dex too quickly or too early. If you watch Vasek hit PS Whirls (because he is the best at this, or at least was) then you'll see how quickly he gets into position, but then how relatively slowly he does the move (it's still quick, just not his quickest, by a long way). Get in position, start early, but be controlled and relaxed - don't rush yourself.

Once you have the action right, getting the timing right so you don't kick the bag is difficult. You just need to keep practising until you can figure it out.

I often have that "my mind won't let me jump" kind of thing. The way to get around this is to practice without the bag and then try it with the bag, but don't worry about actually hitting the trick, just going through the entire action of it. Then when you can get all the footwork right and the action fairly close to right, think about where the bag actually is and positioning yourself so that you're hitting the trick.

Hope this helps :)

Ohios1
Multidex Master

Post by Ohios1 » 14 May 2010 10:49

Thank you. That really helps me out. I didn't think about some if the stuff u said. I should get it now. :wink:
angeski