shin splints, what insole would be good to prevent these?

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
thedudeman
Multidex Master

shin splints, what insole would be good to prevent these?

Post by thedudeman » 16 Jun 2010 13:29

so ive been playing pretty hard lately, im drilling whirls infinities osis spinning clipper and back to back clippers everyday, and its really doin a lot to my shins, theyve been getting "splinty" so ive noticed and i was wondering if getting some insoles would help and which ones should i get? cross trainer? or low profile? or are there any other brands that are better?
i use quantum 03's
im connor payne

yall already know it's stanford homie

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 16 Jun 2010 20:39

I recommend superfeet insoles, they are the best and definitely worth the investment. They are lifetime guaranteed. I had them in my Q03s back when I had those shoes.

However, if your form isn't quite right, and you don't play on your toes, no amount of insoles or other equipment will help. I recommend having a few sessions where you really just focus on toe stalls, kicks and inside stalls on your toes. If your form is right, and you are absorbing the impact with the right parts of your body (calves and quads mainly) shin splints will be mitigated.

xsisbest
Shredaholic

Post by xsisbest » 16 Oct 2010 17:28

Definitely it's all form bro..I was being killed with shin splints. Tried everything in the stores and online stuff.. even went to the foot doctor and got some custom made insoles. Nothing resolved my shin splints and they hurt so bad it felt like my bones were bruised. I finally went to us opens and watched how the pros do it and through there advice I've gone from being in constant pain to playing pain free completely. I've since gone back to a Spenco polysorb insole that i feel is more for comfort than anything at this point. I did everything the doctor said to do minus not play for a few weeks... but in the end it was all my form. learn to play on your toes and try to make the least amount of noise as possible when you land or jump. That advice alone has helped me. Best of luck and I hope to God you can rid them as they make footbaggin miserable..
A dream becomes a goal when action is taken towards it's achievement

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 16 Oct 2010 23:23

Good to hear your lessons learned about form and watching helped your shin splints out! shredding in pain is never as fun as shredding at 90-100%. I think conner's shin splints have gone away or at least gotten better too since his form has been vastly improving.

+1 for form helping shin splints. (and many other pains)

also, good insoles never hurt :) at least due yourself the favor and try a few to see what feels good.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 22 Oct 2010 13:53

I had really bad shin splints for a while, compounded by taking pain killers and anti-inflammatory and just continuing to play with them. The best advice I got about them was to do calf exercises, especially standing on the edge of a step on just your toes and lowering your body below that step, and then back up, as well as stretching them well. I had a short rest from footbag and just did those exercises until the pain went away (actually I just went from playing every day to only a twice a week) and I've never had shin splints again. This is just a single anecdote, so it's possible something else made my shin splints go away that just happened to coincide with my treatment, but doing calf exercises and stretches can't hurt anyway :P

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 22 Nov 2010 10:18

I've been having bad shin splints which is often the main injury preventing me from playing. I just found a couple really helpful articles that touched on some things that I hadn't seen in others before. I read the first one which referred to the second.

For me, the information on massage as well as strengthening (among lots of other helpful new information to me) is what I hope is going to make a difference. Also on shoes, though I don't have the money to invest in that at the moment.

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/ar ... plints.php
http://www.watfxc.com/TF/TF%20Education ... plints.htm

RipWalker
BSOS Beast

Post by RipWalker » 22 Nov 2010 12:09

Erik,

The following quote from the first article you linked caught my attention:

"When the muscles and tendons become fatigued and overloaded, they lose their ability to adequately absorb the damaging shock force."

I've had shin splints on and off for a while and I've read every post that pops up on the topic. It sounds, based on that quote, like shorter sessions more often (until the associated muscles strengthen up and can handle longer durations) might be part of the answer.
Jeremy wrote:I had a short rest from footbag and just did those exercises until the pain went away (actually I just went from playing every day to only a twice a week) and I've never had shin splints again.
If your muscles are unable to absorb the shock after becoming fatigued, then it stands to reason that playing in shorter amounts could mitigate the amount of time one spends playing on those "fatigued and overloaded" muscles and tendons.

Just a quick thought -- as an aside, toe taps have helped me to a small extent.
Mark Bull