infinities and knee problems

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
thedudeman
Multidex Master

infinities and knee problems

Post by thedudeman » 12 Oct 2010 09:01

so lately ive been drilling infinities a lot, same side and back to back
and i seem to be developing some kind of injury/ pain due to it, its appearing right above my knee, surrounding the upper half of it and sometimes in my ankle and calf itll appear as well
how can i make this go away? even when i cushion the landing very well it will sometimes appear, no other tricks are a problem except for butterflys
im connor payne

yall already know it's stanford homie

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 12 Oct 2010 09:06

post video of the offending maneuvers.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 12 Oct 2010 17:44

Interesting injury.

The first advice is obviously to see a doctor.

There's a number of things that could be going on, so it's hard to give any specific advice (not that I have any medical qualifications either). Having pain in footbag usually means you're doing something wrong, or maybe you did something wrong once, and you're body hasn't fixed it yet. Either way, it's usually best to rest and wait until the pain goes away completely. Idiots like me ignore this advice and just take pain killers and keep playing, although I do this less frequently these days.

Given that it doesn't sound very severe, you've probably just strained or irritated something around your knee, so waiting is probably the best thing. Of course you may have a fundamental form problem, and the pain will never go away unless you change the way you hit the move. Since it's something like a butterfly this seems unlikely, but possible.

The other issue that happens, especially with new players, is that your muscles may not be as strong as they need to be, and your joints may not be as flexible. This can often cause pain in joints - most commonly in the hips. Personally I just played through the pain and it went away and never came back. However being more experienced now, and with both knees, ankles and hips usually in pain before the end of long sessions, I'd say to be very cautious about ever playing through pain, especially around joints. Seeking medical advice is usually best :)

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 13 Oct 2010 11:26

It would help to know what other tricks you're doing that aren't hurting. What's your level of play? Is butterfly a hard trick for you or a bail?