Soleus pain

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Pete
Multidex Master

Soleus pain

Post by Pete » 23 Jul 2005 23:03

i have sharp quick pain around the Soleus and upper flexor digitorum longus muscles adjacent to the tibia bone after a session. It hurts after when i apply pressure on it (walking) for a little while, then it goes away. Any good soleus exercices or preventions i should take/do :?:

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 24 Jul 2005 15:36

shin splints?

If so . . . toe taps: 100 each foot, 3x daily for 3 weeks
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

Mathieu Latulippe
Shredalicious

Post by Mathieu Latulippe » 24 Jul 2005 17:27

post the link for the exercice (toe taps ) please. :!:

P.S.: I wrote the original message with my buddy's profile. Shin splints is a close description of what I have, i'll try the exercices. If the exercices don't work at all, i'll post again.

Chim-Chim
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Chim-Chim » 24 Jul 2005 18:24

Shin splints usually go away when I perform this stretch.

Get on your kness with your feet under your ass, make sure your feet are straight (not turned to either side) w/ the arch of your foot flat on the ground. Do it with shoes on or you'll get some serious pain in your toe knuckles. Now lean back with your hands on the ground behind you to ease yourself back as far as you can, with most of the weight resting on your feet.

You'll feel a stretch between the arch of your foot up to the ball of your ankle.

Doing a lunge stretch could help as well.

Mathieu Latulippe
Shredalicious

Post by Mathieu Latulippe » 24 Jul 2005 19:22

Thanks Jake, I'll give that exercice a try. Post the lunge stretch as well :D.

I hope this will help stop the pain in my soleus (that's the muscle on the inside your mid-leg, right right adjacent to your (tibia) bone).
Last edited by Mathieu Latulippe on 24 Jul 2005 19:32, edited 2 times in total.

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 24 Jul 2005 19:30

Didnt see your reply until now.

With toe taps, stand with your weight distributed over one leg. With the other leg, tap your toes (as if listening to music) very quickly, each time, bringing your toes as high as they go. Excercise the full 2-3 inches of movement while, of course, leaving your heel on the ground. I like to do the taps in the shower in the morning, or especially after a shred session. When it starts to burn, (and it will start to burn!) keep going. You will start top feel your tibialis anterior areas feel almost numb- you will grow to enjoy this feeling :wink:

Of course, make sure to alternate between legs.

Note; I never do these taps sitting down. I dont know if they would work that way, so I dont recomment trying it. ALSO, I do the taps with my tapping leg almost directly under my body, maybe just a few inches in front. Do not stick your tapping leg too far out in front of your body as this may result in a less intense workout.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

Mathieu Latulippe
Shredalicious

Post by Mathieu Latulippe » 24 Jul 2005 19:36

Right on, thanks for the reply Grommet. Now I have two work-outs. :D

:arrow: I'll post to let you guys know how it goes after a session and if the exercices made a difference.

Chim-Chim
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Chim-Chim » 24 Jul 2005 22:36

The lunge stretch is hard to describe. Basically tho, u just want to bend one knee about 90 degrees while pushing your other leg back with your toes on the ground and your heel pointing up. Make sure you keep your back straight, and you can lean back a little to feel the stretch even more.

It stretches out your quads and hips very well.. take it slow and eventually you'll nearly have your leg straightened out behind you. Try to keep your knee from touching the ground. Once you can do this, put your arms straight out to your sides and turn AWay from the leg that is behind you and try to hold it.

Remember to just take your time it can be a very relaxing stretch or a very uncomfortable and painful position if you rush it. Try to hold any stretch for at least 20 seconds.

This won't DIRECTLY help your shin splints but combined w/ the kneeling stretch and some other basics like the butterfly stretch and hurdle stretch (for your hamstrings and glutes) your pains will start to disappear.

Squats help too - before stretching, with or without weights.

PS. if u keep pushing your leg back eventually u'll be able to do front splits (don't keep the ball of your foot on the ground tho)

Mathieu Latulippe
Shredalicious

Post by Mathieu Latulippe » 25 Jul 2005 08:04

:arrow: Right on Jake, you've been a great help! Kudos to you.

I did the toe taps.. fealling the burn! I never felt my flexor digitorum longus muscle burn like that.. twas neat. I'm familiar with the lunge stretch from Karate. I will do these stretches in hopes of becoming immune to shin splints for the near future. These are to become invulnerable lower-limbs muscles, a sacrosanctity from "shin splints" :D

rodimius
Shredaholic

Post by rodimius » 25 Jul 2005 11:42

The sit on your feet stretch is good, but don't do it in shoes! It will hurt but only until you can lay your shin and foot in a straight line, and you will eventually be able to.
Try PNF stretches in that position to get further down - contract your shin so you are pushing your toes into the floor for about 5-10 seconds, then as you relax push your shin flat, and actually try and lift your toes off the floor.
It's important to not sit between your feet or twist your foot so that it's not facing straight down, or you could damage your knees.
http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/TibialisA ... eling.html
You might also want to stretch your calves too, I find it helps, I like this one, but more extreme position.
http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gastrocnemius/Wall.html
Robert Elm

Chim-Chim
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Chim-Chim » 25 Jul 2005 13:18

Why not wear shoes? Have u ever tried this in a tennis court barefoot? It'd feel like medieval torture. :evil:

Is it ok to do this with a pillow under your feet barefoot? I know yoga mats or workout mats are good but not everyone has one.

Mathieu Latulippe
Shredalicious

Post by Mathieu Latulippe » 25 Jul 2005 20:07

The suggested exercices worked like a charm.. I had a little session and when I felt the pain in my muscle I did the stretches for a while and went back to the game... It eased the pain.

:arrow: Cured!

rodimius
Shredaholic

Post by rodimius » 26 Jul 2005 06:38

I just don't think you can do the full stretch in shoes, and the heel cup hurts my achilles tendon too, thats all.
A pillow is fine :)

One thing: don't do it before a session, only after. An hour before the session might be okay if you think you need it.
Robert Elm