Modified Still Life 101. Come join. Please read first page

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
Zeke
Specific Islander

Modified Still Life 101. Come join. Please read first page

Post by Zeke » 14 Feb 2006 13:10

Welcome to Modified Still Life 101. Basically, one member posts an image for the others to draw. This is not a contest. All skill levels are welcomed to participate. If you like to doodle feel free to join in. At the same time if want to fine tune or develop new skills (like using a graphics tablet) you should definitely try stepping out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself.

Reference image guidelines:
-Minimum 400x400px.
-Excessively large images should be linked to rather than posted
-Should have a good range of values

Guidlines for your work:
-Only post images that have been rendered from photos posted in this thread. There are plenty of other threads to show your other work.
-Image posted should be minimum 400x400px.
-Use whatever drawing/paint medium you wish. Traditional and digital are both welcomed
-Take the rendering as far as you wish. It can be a quick, loose sketch or a fully finished portfolio piece.
-There is generally no formal time limit to finish.

These are not strict rules that will be heavily enforced. So if you choose not to follow these guidelines, absolutely nothing will happen. But I will secretly hope that you defecate a chainsaw...

twice.

In the oridinal post I wrote:I got an idea. What if one of us posted a pic so that we could all sketch it with our tablets to get us used to drawing on the damn things? I figure something simple at first, single object, like a vase. Then we can post our sketches here. What do you guys think?

EDIT:Erik Chan wrote:A good way to draw surprise pictures for a girlfriend is to draw her while she's sleeping :D Or from photos.
Yeah, that's the way to go. I had a g/f once that asked me to draw her while she modeled. She wanted a finished and fully rendered life drawing. Nothing cartoony cuz it wasn't art to her :? The problem was that she didn't realize that it took time for me to do that kind of drawing. She would have to do several 15 minute sessions of sitting still. This girl was like a chilly epileptic in an earthquake! READ: could not sit still. Needles to say I never did that drawing, I just borrowed a camera :wink:
Last edited by Zeke on 27 Jan 2009 16:45, edited 4 times in total.
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 14 Feb 2006 13:15

noice idea....lets do it....what do draw first?a 4 panel bag?with or without shadows?
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 14 Feb 2006 13:58

Yeah, that sounds awesome! It will get me to draw too...I've been meaning to but I just never get around to it :( I would post an image, but I'm going to procrastinate more and wait until someone else posts one before I dig up my wacom.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 14 Feb 2006 14:59

Erik Chan wrote:I would post an image, but I'm going to procrastinate more and wait until someone else posts one before I dig up my wacom.
LOL!!!! 4 panel footbag sounds good. Uhh... but I'm at work... :oops:
mahhkohh? :wink:

I figure we can use whatever program we have or feel most comfortable with. Do you guys just want to start with line drawings on whatever color backround we want? Our "canvas" size can be anything I guess... just no smaller than 400x400 pixels (?)
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 14 Feb 2006 18:15

Ok so it's not a 4 panel, but it's start
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

SandWraith
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SandWraith » 14 Feb 2006 18:23

is that a ... 14-panel? Looks pretty snazzy either way. I'd tap that. :wink:
Zach Marine - Member of the Tendonitis Club!
blog

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 14 Feb 2006 19:12

I tried to add colour too, but forgot how to use photoshop >____< I had to find my tablet and install photoshop just to do this. This should be super fun. Hurry up guys and we can do another :p

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 14 Feb 2006 20:12

I did a self portrait, trying something in colour. Man, it's kind of wonky to draw with the tablet, hey? It also hurts my wrist a lot. I'm so tense! I'm usually really tense when I draw, but it's harder to relax with something I'm so unfamiliar with.

EDIT: Maybe this could also turn into a photoshop lesson. Like in a drawing class where you do stilllifes the teacher will make you use certain mediums, and draw in certain ways. I would love to learn how to use the different brushes, and, like, different techniques for photoshop, since it kind of goes hand in hand with wacom drawing. I also have some version of Painter (in the paint can that smells like paint and everything!), if anyone knows how to use that...

Did anyone ever post on "oekaki bbs's"? It's like drawing with a mouse in ms paint, kind of, and you post like in an old school forum style...

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 14 Feb 2006 20:55

Erik Chan, you make me wish I could draw :( Will you give me lessons?

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 15 Feb 2006 07:37

eirc...i love your style.its so cool...the pic of the bag...it just looks so cool.and its only a bag...i dig the star! :D

zeke.we could define rules for every pic when we post the proposal!but...i´m not so familiar with like backgrounds and stuff.you might guess from my pic of the bag,i have some troubles drawing straight lines! :D it might help to sit on a desk,but i have non... :lol:

anyways...here is my bag!(made in 10 min...)
mäcrö hartig

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 15 Feb 2006 09:02

Aww dammit I gotta get to work. How bout someone post the next image and I'll just have to catch up? I'll post my 2 sketches, hopefully later tonight.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 15 Feb 2006 10:21

uhm...how about a laver?in the end its something we all have and can paint with a model...or we do the vase thing...simple black and white....or colors,than i´d say watercolor only.keh?uhm...pencil tools allways count!even with watercolor tools!
mäcrö hartig

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 15 Feb 2006 18:51

Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 15 Feb 2006 19:05

mahhkohh wrote:uhm...how about a laver?

:wink:
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 15 Feb 2006 19:27

that's a pretty cool self portrait eric

this is pen - althought it scanned as if it were pencil :roll:

edit: I cheated I just realized.. :(

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 15 Feb 2006 21:14

:lol:

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 Feb 2006 22:51

Holy crap. That was soooo much harder than regular look-drawing!! I struggled a lot with his face, and left arm. This is the actual size I worked in -- crazy!! Next time I'm going to work a lot bigger and then resize if I have to; seriously -- craziness!

Good work everyone! It's awesome to see you guys posting, Josh and Stephen. Your pose is killer in your Laver drawing! And your hatching is really good, Josh, even if you did use a real pen :p
Can't wait for the next "still life"!

More people should draw too! This is so much fun.
Maybe after a bunch of still lifes, someone could just name a topic, and every draws it without a reference and we see how everyone interpretted the idea -- those are always fun!

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 15 Feb 2006 23:04

what program are you using to sketch?

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 Feb 2006 23:30

I'm using Photoshop 7.0 and my wacom tablet.

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 16 Feb 2006 07:00

damnit...when it come to persons i just loose!but props on our new entries and eric...sick!just sick.
well...what realy fresked me out was the face and the racket(!)...so i decided to just scribble the face and leave it as it comes!dont like drawing faces tho....maybe i will do what eric said,draw in huge and downskale when ready....

i just post this under protest.zeke this wasnt what i thought of....damn,but this one realy showed me i need to work on my style...damn...keh...what do we do next?no persons please!
mäcrö hartig