Skateboarding

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Skateboarding

Post by mtoolan » 18 Aug 2006 18:25

I was just kinda curious about how many of you guys used to or still do skateboard. I've read about a couple people(don't really remember who) that used to skate.

How good were/are you? What kind of tricks could you hit? Gear preferences? Anything really.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 18 Aug 2006 18:47

3-4 years.

stopped for footbag.

never broke an element board.

couldnt go wrong with bones bearings.

my fav stuff was boneless (like ollie... sorta)

i could hit judo airs and boneless airwalks down 7 stair gaps.

i loved halfpipe. nosestall revert was my fav lip trick.

i miss skating sometimes... but man did it hurt...

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 18 Aug 2006 19:08

Skated from age 13 - 17 (I'm 24 now)

I could hit 180 ollie (both sides), kickflip, heelflip, shoveit, big spin, varial flip (backside only), body varial shoveit, nollie, switch ollie, bunch of crap outta fakie ollie and 50-50 grinds. Oh I coulda also kind do a few old school tricks like standing impossibles, acids drops and other stupid crap.

On ramps I could only do some basic shit like lipstalls and turns.

I busted up my hip on a ramp really badly when I was 17 by going for a backside air. I hit it square on the coping. It hurt like a motherfucker, I was in sheer agony for hours. I could barely walk for a few days. I can still pop it in and out of the joint to this day. If the weather changes suddenly it starts to hurt. Any footbag move that puts impact on my right leg will aggravate it now, mostly butterflies and symp mirages dexing with my right leg. I have to do 2 sets of hip flexor stretches before each session if I don't want my hip to hurt.

As for gear preferences, I liked 7.75" x 31" decks, indy or venture trucks and 52cm wheels. If you can afford really badass bearings like the ABEC 7 crap, go ahead and get em. I was always limited by the money I had.

Anyways, my advice is if you like footbag and you skateboard: quit skateboarding before you get injured. It's almost inevitable that you will get hurt. My injury almost makes me unable to play footbag, thank goodness it does not. Just my $0.02

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 18 Aug 2006 20:19

What perfect timing for this thread!

I went out and had my first full out skate session in over a year a couple days ago. It made me want to get back into skating more, not to distract me from footbag though, of course.

So this skate session was alot of fun and it rekindled my desire to skateboard! My old equipment was all worn out and shitty, my deck was cracked and soggy, the wheels where small, the bearings were rusty and broken and my shoes were way too big and all torn to shit.

I went with Pengpeng today to the mall and we found me a perfect pair of DC Lynx 2's in size 7 for $70, sweet! They are black with minimal neon green accents.

They had a deal going that if you bought a sale item (which the shoes were) you got a second sale item half off. So there was a perfectly shaped santa cruz deck for $40 that I got half off from, so it cost me $20! For a deck!

Whoa, this is a long boring story! hahahaah I suck!
Long story short I got a deck, 54mm wheels, abec5 bearings and new shoes.

So I went out and had a wonderfull skate session today with ALL NEW gear! I felt like a rock star or something, it wsa crazy tearing into new DC's with fresh griptape on a snappy new deck! mmmmm

Skateboarding!
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

gangsta
BSOS Beast

Post by gangsta » 18 Aug 2006 20:35

Almost got into skateboarding, but I Knew I would hurt myself, and wouldnt be able to play footbag...

shred villain
Super Nice Guy

Post by shred villain » 18 Aug 2006 22:32

i used to skate but i've moved onto footbag, but i'll still skate every once in a while cuz there is a nice ditch at the top of my street that is fun to carve in. i was into skating for about five years and i mostly sucked. my favorite stuff to do though would have to be off kickers. i love popping off a kicker and doing an indy(i could also do roast beef). right now i have an enjoi deck from ebay, fury trucks, bones red bearings(also from ebay), and foundation wheels. i used to ride an organika deck which was awesome until there was no pop left in it. by the way if you're looking for good decks for really cheap go to www.evileds.com. haha and i love doing old school tricks like boneless 180s and stuff. also luging down big hills on a skateboard is awesome.
Erik Savage- i make and sell footbags for 22 bucks. i also trade.

Erik's Awesome Blog

kldfjlaksdj
Shredalicious

Post by kldfjlaksdj » 19 Aug 2006 05:27

I skated for right around 6 years, and now I just use it to get from A to B

I could do all kinds of nifty tricks(Ollie, KF, HF, 360 Flip, etc.) and I ollied off a really really sketchy Loading dock(top had a little over 3 feet wide). I got kickflips off of 3 stair sets, ollies down 5s. Ollie Indy down 3. Then I hurt myself in February(tore stuff in my ankle), played hacky sack to recoupe and a few months later began Footbag Freestyle. *shrug* I don't really feel like I'm missing a lot in skateboarding, and after starting Footbag Skateboarding is too boring.
Steve Anderson :-)

My Blog thing

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 19 Aug 2006 06:05

Yea I was pretty good for skating 3 years. I could do a lot of switch stuff like switch 360 flips, 180 kickflips, kickflip 5-0 grinds. On kickers I could get kickflip indies and shovit nosegrabs. I wasn't really into stairs but I could do like 9. I had the most fun on mini ramps. no airs but some pretty sick grinds and stalls.

I pretty much stopped cold turkey when I found footbag though.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

Zjeezy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Zjeezy » 19 Aug 2006 07:10

I started skated in middle school and i just stopped around last thanksgiving. I was getting pretty good. skating was my life for about 6 years.

I always like powell mini-logo's the best. they are cheaper than a regular deck and it was by far the best boards I ever skated. The last 2 years of me skating it was the only board I would use. (7.5 and k-12 concave is the way to go) trucks dont make much of a difference. it just depends how tight or loose they are. all based on preference.

I only had 1 serious injury. I 5-0ed this handrail and landed a little sketchy. I was able to regain control, I moved my feet to set up for a nollie flip and my foot slid off the board and I fell and broke my leg. thats right, I broke my leg just riding my board and not trying anything.

i really miss it. i might go again soon.
zach jahner

kldfjlaksdj
Shredalicious

Post by kldfjlaksdj » 19 Aug 2006 08:32

I suprisingly never broke anything...lots and lots of sprains. I used many many kinds of decks. the notable ones were: Element Fiberlight, Santa Cruz powerply, Almost Daewon Song deck

I loved a very deep concave and 7.625 width Flatland was my favorite so I needed somehting small to ride on and flip around :-P

Trucks actually make a big differance. Not just how tight you have them, Mine were always loose to medium tightness, but some trucks are way way to heavy for anything good(Independant trucks...I know, everyone loves Indy's, I hated them) I Loved my Ventures, and Silver trucks are just as light as wood it seems :-)

anyway, that is my input again on this topic :-P. Skateboarding consumed my every thought to the point that if I didnt skate, or look at skating in a day at least once, something was wrong.

-Steve
Steve Anderson :-)

My Blog thing

JoFa
Shredaholic

Post by JoFa » 20 Aug 2006 11:28

I guess I skated for about 3 or 4 years on and off. I could kickflip, heelflip, 360 shove it, blah blah basic tricks. I could ollie 4 and 5 stairs, kick/heelflip 2 and sometimes 3 stairs. I stunk at vert but it's fun. I still have a board in pretty good condition - enjoi deck, destructo trucks, black panthers, autobahn wheels.

Enjoi's are definitely my favorite deck, this is my third one.
**Austin Style Footbag**
~My Footblog~
...Jesse Lindley...

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 21 Aug 2006 10:02

I got super good and shit. I could go from my driveway, across the street and back. Good times.
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 21 Aug 2006 14:05

I skated today and it was fun. :)
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Matt_mcfarland
Shredaholic

Post by Matt_mcfarland » 22 Aug 2006 18:23

ive been skating since i was 8, so seven years now(im 15 for those who cant do math).
i go to the skatepark, or somewhere to skate everyday, for tricks i can kickflip, heelflip, b/s shovit, varial kickflip, bigspin, tre flip, backside flip, b/s,f/s 180s
50-50, boardslide, 5-0
mini-pipe- 50-50,5-0, rock to fckie, rock and roll, fakie axle, fakie smith, switch nosegrind,bigspin to axle, shov-it to fakie, nose-pick, tailpick, and blunt to fakie
my latest acheivment was a tailpick to nosepick.

i just bought a new settup..
alien workshop berra c-side deck(7.5)(medium concave)
ricta orange clear formula 52-mm wheels
reds bones bearings
tensor duo tone trucks(low)
and black magic grip

and for shoes i only wear the best shoes known to skateboarding..
kenny anderson v.2s

getting hurt is a problem, my thighs are bruised, my knees ache, and its hard to play footbag, but right now skating is more important.
edit- biggest stair set landed-7
biggest attemted-9(that was one painfull evening)
keep steezy! my bag are for sale! in stock:2
http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=21532

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 23 Aug 2006 19:27

i used to skate. i skated from 1997- 2004. by the end i was working some pretty gnarly hand rails, 7-10 stairs, but i kept snapping boards, getting hurt and such. when i had but $20 in my pocket, not enough for a blank, i bought a footbag, and the rest is history.
A.G.

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 24 Aug 2006 05:45

Yeah I skated street for about 7-8 yrs. also. I could do all the usuals but also liked the weirder more uncommon tricks like double kickflips, caspers (like a half kick-flip to half front-foot impossible) and other goofy stuff. Tricks I really enjoyed the most were long nose grinds, nollies of all sorts and fakie FS flips. One thing I never got the hang-of but I thought really rocked were blunt slides (need so much speed) and fs tail slides.

I too stopped one day after having to limp back home yet again....
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

RunAmuk
beerless

Post by RunAmuk » 25 Aug 2006 11:04

Idependent trucks all the way.
i hit a varial flip yesterday on some kids board. i was kindah suprised i could still hit shit.
but im taking it easy and riding sector 9 boards from hear on out.
longborads are way more fun and way less painfull.
thanks for making a thred worth posting on!
ejgammage i-am-kuma
since i throw my comb away, jah love.
one love. one aim. no me, just us.

cclaudia
Shredaholic

Post by cclaudia » 26 Aug 2006 06:32

go longboards.
Claudia Gucciardi

shred villain
Super Nice Guy

Post by shred villain » 26 Aug 2006 08:58

i skated yesterday and it was fun, except felt like a loser. it's funny how i dont feel that way when i play footbag, and i probably look like more of a loser doing that than skateboarding. :)
Erik Savage- i make and sell footbags for 22 bucks. i also trade.

Erik's Awesome Blog

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 07 Jan 2007 22:13

I just started skateboarding. When I was 13 I tried learning but never got anywhere. I just scored a practically new Bam Element Fiberlight 7.5 by 30 with tensor trucks and world ind. wheels. Anyway I can ollie but im trying to do basics like pop shove it and kick flip... i can do the motions but I cant land them after flipping.
I have a question for you skateboarders/footbaggers.. would you say skateboarding is any more difficult? Ive always lacked confidence in my ability to learn skateboard and always found it really hard.. but I guess thats how I felt about footbag a few years ago too.
Im 19 now. Im hoping by the time I hit 21 I can do some sick shit.

Ps: Im having a hard time telling the tail from the nose. My deck says bam on one end with a little element symbol and the other side has a bat next to the trucks and some lines on the otherside of the trucks.
which side is the tail?
And is there any way I can make my wheels go faster... the bearings look a bit rusty and they spin a little slow.
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!