Beer appreciation topic

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
underooninja
BSOS Beast

Post by underooninja » 27 May 2005 12:35

i tried bridgeport blackstrap stout last night. very good. one of my fav stouts now.
lonnie hobbs
o0((skyliners))0o
*it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you*

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 27 May 2005 16:53

Since I am polsih, I like a good cold polish beer. These are some of my favorites.

Okocim

Tyskie

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 29 May 2005 11:02

I tried Dark Isle: Triple Malt today. Wow this beer is good. It's so hard to find - it's made in a microbrewary not far from where I live but I've only ever seen it one shop - which is an organic/corner store - the closest shop to where I live. Being an organic shop - this store sells a lot of fairly rare boutique foods and beverages (I'm pretty sure they're not all organic) and it happens that Dark Isle beer is one of them. I'm definitly going to try out the other Dark Isle beers soon!

It had a very strong fruity flavour - strong apple flavour in particular. Quite dark in colour as you'd expect. Great aroma - sweet but not overpowering. Overall one of my favourite beers I think - definitly worth a trip to Tasmania to taste ;)

SergeyKozlov
BSOS Beast

Post by SergeyKozlov » 30 May 2005 11:30

ohhh....I like a taste of good and cold beer......

Here is my Just started collection =)

I'm Russian, so Usually I drink russian beer.

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 30 May 2005 20:17

I had some Pilsner today, and it was ok ... so to get the pilsner taste outta my mouth, i washed it down with a Tyskie.

ShredOnLawn
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ShredOnLawn » 31 May 2005 09:09

I thought we were trying to avoid drug talk on modified?
Lon Smith

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 31 May 2005 09:38

ShredOnLawn wrote:I thought we were trying to avoid drug talk on modified?
I think it was pretty clear that the issue was mainly with drugs which are illegal in many of our countries.

“I find that if I go too long without thinking too hard, life gives me something to think about.”

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 31 May 2005 11:49

Moxie wrote:
ShredOnLawn wrote:I thought we were trying to avoid drug talk on modified?
I think it was pretty clear that the issue was mainly with drugs which are illegal in many of our countries.
i think lon makes a fine point. *shrug*
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

blackcrown
Multidex Master

Post by blackcrown » 31 May 2005 11:52

This thread is labeled pretty clearly. If you don't like it don't click on it.

Eric
Eric Palmer

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 31 May 2005 20:45

I thought the topic about avoiding drugs was still being debated. I also think you should read the reasons why we want to avoid "drug talk" on the forums - it's pretty clear, I believe, from the reasons stated in that topic that talking about beer is a completely different issue.

In other news - After the success of Dark Isle: Triple Malt I tried Dark Isle: Pale Ale and was disappointed - probably the most tasteless beer I've ever drunk. It didn't taste bad - it was just really really boring.

edit: Nice collection Sergey!! :D

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 02 Jun 2005 16:37

Not much discussion of Japanese beers here... I just wanted to throw in that while Kirin, Asahi, and Sapporo are maybe the best known Japanese beers outside of Japan, Yebisu is my pick as the best non-microbrew beer in Japan. The dark is particularly nice.

underooninja
BSOS Beast

Post by underooninja » 06 Jun 2005 11:14

ybisu rocks!
i cant say ive had many russian beers...guess i need to give a few more a try.
last i went to flying saucer www.beerknurd.com (local pub/grill) i counted all the beer ive tried on their menu...im 3 away from having tried all 200give or take. yay!
lonnie hobbs
o0((skyliners))0o

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 06 Jun 2005 12:03

Sapporo is brewed in guelph, ontario, canada at the sleeman factory :p
I used to get a few bottles for free everyonce in a while (an old housemate used to work there)
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

Blackend
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Blackend » 06 Jun 2005 19:41

Why didn't I notice this topic earlier? This should help make Brent and I fill the shelves with beer we haven't tried yet. Anyone here tried Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout?
Sam Mayer

"Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one!" - Homer Simpson

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 08 Jun 2005 18:05

you and your oatmeal stout

i love negra de modelo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Jdigges
Flower Child

Post by Jdigges » 08 Jun 2005 18:34

hmm...my favorite beers...well, i do like good beer, im becoming more of a beer snob and barely ever drink cheap beer anymore hehe...

Saranak Summer Ale is delicious...and i love guiness. New Castle is a really good beer that i discovered at moe.down. those are probably my top three.
Josiah Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

Blackend
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Blackend » 09 Jun 2005 04:23

After I got off work yesterday I bought some Warsteiner imported from Germany. It's pretty good, but I couldn't make the pop sound with my lighter on those ones for some odd reason...damn German engineering.
Sam Mayer

"Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one!" - Homer Simpson

underooninja
BSOS Beast

Post by underooninja » 23 Jul 2005 12:39

i got a taste of some russian and lithuanian beer last night. baltika 9 pale lager from russia was very tasty! i look forward to trying more from them. i had my eye on the porter.
the lithuanian zhiguly grand 9.5 strong was good too. i liked it at room temp. though next time i catch myself picking up some pints ill prolly git more from baltika.
lonnie hobbs
o0((skyliners))0o

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 25 Jul 2005 13:30

I've decided to put my degree in bio-chemistry to work, and started brewing beer at The Bend in Oakland CA. This is my first brew in over 10 years.

I had a few sips of my first batch, Quaffable White , last night as I transfered it from its primary fermentation unit into the secondary fermentation unit. While the beer was room temperature, and under-carbonated, it was very light and crisp on the pallete with hints of spicey and lightly floral characters. Overall, I was pleased with my secret blend of one herb, two spices, and citrus rinds. I noticed no off tastes or undesireable qualities, and was happy but not ecstatic with the brew. I didn't realize I would need to change my mash procedure to extract from whole wheat, and so my brew is slightly lacking the wheat character I was expecting. I had planned additional spicing during the secondary fermentation, but with the wheat extraction being poor, I feel the beer is already on the verge of being overly spicey, and doesn't have the body to support any more flavor. There was no notable maltiness in the beer, which is appropriate for this style of beer, which should lend itself to being very drinkable. I would say fermentation will go to almost 100%, which should give the finished beer a crisp, dry, refreshing feel in the mouth.

The temperatures reached the high 90s F this past weekend, and I think this beer will compliment the summer heat perfectly. I wish I had some available while I was working on my second beer, Cameron's California Common. The Common is fermenting as we speak at an incredibly vigorous pace and I look forward to kegging this exceptional brew in two-three weeks.
Last edited by Tsiangkun on 25 Jul 2005 17:07, edited 2 times in total.

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 25 Jul 2005 15:34

Cameron is a nerd!

I just bought Mackeson Triple Stout. Although I dont really have a palette for beer, I think it is pretty damn good.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.