Back at it - Need drills to rebuild foundations

Challenge your friends to hit tricks/combos you know they can hit, even if they don't!
Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Back at it - Need drills to rebuild foundations

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 22 Feb 2013 13:04

Hello everyone, been a long time. I had my first couple of solo sessions this week in the first time probably since summer 2011. I have a feeling I'm ready to get back at seriously playing consistently. I need some help with coming up with drills of fundamentals and goals to work toward that don't involve big tricks. I'd way rather be able to hit 20 genuine than a single fiver. I have no problems with that, I just find I enjoy having consistent runs more than hitting big tricks, personally.

So here are some of the things I've hit since I've been back:
-Legover > Mirage 22 contacts (usually 7-8 on a try)
-Infinity x 15 (usually 5-6 on a try)
-Osis x 11 (usually 3-4 on a try)
-XBD Rake x 12 (usually 4-5 on a try)
-Clipper x 22 strong side, 7 on flipside (only tried once :oops: )
-Ripwalk BSOS
-Diving Mirage and Diving clipper BSOS in separate runs
-Gyro mirage BSOS

I'd like to focus on downtime and mid-time. My stepping and atomic still work, but are all over the place. Also, does anyone shred in L.A.? I will be moving there this summer. So give me some drills and some stuff to work towards.

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Re: Back at it - Need drills to rebuild foundations

Post by CIC flurry » 22 Feb 2013 16:16

I've been doing some slow controlled clipper>flapper>rpt until u like, a bit. Good for balance. Good for clippers. Maybe you like.

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 22 Feb 2013 18:14

Ben, it's awesome to see you're back into kicking. I always read your diet/fitness posts on Facebook. I've just started some practice on swirl. This seems like a great trick to help develop balance and clipper set control.

Here are some things I can think of off the top of my head:
  • around the world and orbit practice could supplement your legover and pickup training
  • down > osis > far mirage, rpt
  • down > osis > osis > down, rpt
  • consecutive gyro clippers
  • if you clear your stepping sets the majority of the time blur will probably train your stepping better than ripwalks
  • I find atomic legover easier than legbeater if you're looking to start from scratch with your atomic sets
  • consider torque if you're doing lots of osis and mirage practice
Now I'll move over so someone more qualified can chime in.

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 04 Mar 2013 10:35

Alright thanks dudes, I was looking for stuff a little more basic than that but it will do. I've never really been able to do DATW (orbit? the new terms came out when I was on hiatus) so some drills to work up to that would be good.

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 04 Mar 2013 14:15

Iron Clad Ben wrote:Alright thanks dudes, I was looking for stuff a little more basic than that but it will do. I've never really been able to do DATW (orbit? the new terms came out when I was on hiatus) so some drills to work up to that would be good.
I think we can further dilute those drills. Here's what I do when I really just want lots of contacts:
  • legover > op toe > op toe, rpt
  • pickup > op toe > op toe, rpt
  • inside > near clipper > op inside > near clipper, rpt
  • clipper > pickup, rpt
  • clipper > legover, rpt
  • osis > clipper, rpt
Try doing both near and far pickups from clippers. Interchange down/butterfly with clipper if it's comfortable.

Orbit is just around the world dexing the opposite direction (out > in). So double around the world and double orbit would still apply. There are some pretty light drills that should help with those:
  • around the world/orbit > op toe, rpt
  • around the world/orbit x 10
Anssi suggests in his video to practice those tricks with and without the magic hop. I actually just hit my flip double around the world for the first time yesterday. I found that along with doing lots of pickup and around the world practice that making open (pixie) sets part of my repertoire helped a lot for getting the speed for double around the world.

Sorry if I'm overwhelming you with ideas to try! It's just good to see you kicking.