Calling all Vegetarians

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 22 Jan 2009 19:15

Cnick946 wrote:Thank you Adrienne! That was my main worry. It isn't the best protein ever, but I do eat a lot of peanut-butter!
Since you're from Georgia and like Peanut Butter, I thought I'd let you know about this.

Cnick946
Shredaholic

Post by Cnick946 » 22 Jan 2009 19:20

Thanks Ken!
Thankfully, I don't eat any of that Peanut-Butter.
Corey N.

What's worth the prize is always worth the fight~ Nickelback

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 03 Feb 2009 17:52

So I've now been a real vegetarian for 4 days :D. Actually I still eat some seafood. Indeed I realised yesterday that my logic behind becoming a vegetarian (the rise of the demand for meat globally, followed by the economic crisis leading to the continued food crisis across the developing world, and the fact that global warming will have a far worse effect on the developing world than on the developed world despite the problem being almost entirely created by the developed world - as well as a bit of science about energy transfer etc.) means that the exact same argument for not eating meat applies to eggs and dairy. So I'm now a fish eating vegan. Possibly that should be called a "urinal." I still also am happy to eat game meat, and really need to also cut down on packaged and processed goods - although in saying that, I'm really only talking about redbull and alcohol, which I'm not sure I can give up even if I want to :P

renke
Hack Fiend

Post by renke » 22 Jun 2009 08:27

I'm a vegetarian as well, I can contribute a few things to the protein issue.
What i use for my daily protein intake is some sort of thick, concentrated non-fat yogurt, i think it's very similar to the cheese used for making cheesecake, also called 'quark' or white 'yogurt cheese?' Well, I live in the netherlands and we literally have hundreds of dairy products, so i'm not sure if it's available in every country and how it's called in english.

Anyway, the product contains 8-10 gram protein per 100 gram, when you eat one a day (0.5 liter) the total protein intake is about 50 gram, with a product that's easy to digest (provided you're not lactose intolerant)

Also, proteins from animal products are way better absorped than vegetable proteins. For that there's this trick my trainer at the gym told me . The trick is to combine certain foods so more protein will become available for uptake.

basis principle: combine cereals/potatoes with dairy products/fish/eggs/pulses
for example: protein available in wheat alone = 30
protein available in egg alone = 70
the two of them together will give 118 of protein available

Pretty weird, please don't ask me how it works, all i know is that this is frequently used. So please look this up in further detail if you're interested ;)
Yet i wouldn't recommend it to anyone with a weak digestive system, has to do with digestive juices who eliminate each others effects. Might lead to fermentation and abdominal discomfort. A healthy person shouldn't have problems with it though.
Renke ~ shredita

ted
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ted » 23 Jun 2009 10:18

While I don't adhere to any strict dietary regimen, I try to eat as much fresh plant material as possible, avoid processed foods (including sugar), minimize gluten intake, and infrequently eat dairy/meats.

As far as environmentally responsible and healthy eating goes, I think one of the best choices is to join a CSA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community- ... griculture

Basically, you invest in a local farm in the spring (in our case $470), they use the money to buy seeds and plant, and you earn a share of whatever is grown. Shares are delivered to a local pickup site once a week (for 26 weeks) and filled with whatever is ripe. Our first share this year included lettuces, beets, kale, cilantro, dill, radishes, rhubarb, and spinach. Later in the summer we'll see eggplant, tomatoes, squash, corn, beans, potatoes, peaches, apples, onions, and lots of other stuff. It is all certified organic, and with the exception of some fruit, grown locally (less than 10 miles away) on farms which employ local labor. They also offer dairy shares, pastured meat shares, and mushroom shares! It is much fresher and tastier than supermarket food and cheaper than buying at farmer's markets. It can be a challenge to cook with some of the harvest (cabbage, turnips, kohlrabi) but it makes you diversify your diet and learn about new foods. I cannot say enough good things about community-supported agriculture!

It's an investment up front but I won't be buying hardly any produce until November! I think CSAs are omnipresent these days and if you're interested in eating healthy local foods I highly recommend checking one out.
Theodore Anderson

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 23 Jun 2009 15:58

That sounds fucking awesome. I hope there is one in Tasmania.

I plan on having a starting a serious garden soon too.

Have now been vegetarian for almost 5 months and going pretty well. Of course I'm more like a "flexitarian" than a vegetarian since I still eat some fish (although I'm considering cutting this out; http://scienceblogs.com/guiltyplanet/20 ... eafood.php ), and local game meat like kangaroo and wallaby, which I'm happy to keep eating.