Modified - In Decline

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!
Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 25 Apr 2009 09:05

Seems like it's picked up a bit, no?
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 25 Apr 2009 12:08

It all my fault, I started posting in those other sections, and now they are flourishing again.

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 26 Apr 2009 23:47

Tsiangkun wrote:It all my fault, I started posting in those other sections, and now they are flourishing again.
damn you!

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 27 Apr 2009 18:05

I think people prefer facebook to forums.
Sergey Pikalov

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 27 Apr 2009 19:36

how are they even comparable?

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 01 May 2009 12:07

Seems like it's picked up a bit, no?
I know I started posting more again because it seems like people are being more aware of "playing nice". I don't mean there's no arguments or discussion, it has just seemed more civil lately. When there's tons of trolling, mean spirited comments, and know-it-all-ism (there must be a better word), I just don't like to participate. And I've just seen a little less of that lately.
Bob R.

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 01 May 2009 14:22

Rieferman wrote:know-it-all-ism (there must be a better word)
I believe the word you are looking for is pretentiousness, n00b.

J/K.... :lol:
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 01 May 2009 18:58

nice burn :-)
Bob R.

Corey
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Corey » 23 May 2009 17:21

obviously facebook myspacr and twitter contribute to the downfalls but ultimately the main topics have already been addressed how to do a clipper or a mirage 30 threads on that maybe people are strting to read the old threads instead of start nw ones
the for sale section will only die if their emerges so
e footbag store chain with all the greatest bags[/quote]

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 25 May 2009 17:53

Oh wow, "Casey Panyk". Yeah quadgun. :D

edit: hah! So I just realised this thread is pretty old and there's more than one page.

Kyle, you are still silly.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

hrdcorethndr1
Shredaholic

Post by hrdcorethndr1 » 05 Jun 2009 04:23

I believe that footbag will only die when we let it, just because 190378193612731938 of people do not adore or play it does not mean that it will die. I think that new people are intimidated by how good pros are and expect what they do to be easy or when they find out that they cannot evan do close to half of one trick after an extended period of time, they give up.

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 06 Jun 2009 01:24

don't you guys have better things to do?

i really don't, what's your excuse?
James McCullough

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 06 Jun 2009 16:31

quadgun wrote:how are they even comparable?
They're both ways to waste time on the internet.

Facebook is so boring though. People spending hours looking at pictures of friends is the lames shit in the world.
Oliver Adams

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 07 Jun 2009 10:48

Blue_turnip wrote:People spending hours looking at pictures of friends is the lames shit in the world.
wait until I tell my aging aunt... her heart is going to be broken.

on topic:

Modified is what you make it. If you don't like what's up, don't make a negative contribution by complaining, make a positive contribution by making a video, posting a picture of your new footbag, or answering some newbie's question. If you get extra bored, stage a fake coup.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Jun 2009 18:40

Yep, be the change you want to see in the world.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 08 Jun 2009 19:26

Matt Cross wrote:
Blue_turnip wrote:People spending hours looking at pictures of friends is the lames shit in the world.
wait until I tell my aging aunt... her heart is going to be broken.

Gold

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 22 Jun 2009 00:46

Sorry to ressurect an old thread...

Im just curious. If you could have a the perfect footbag community site, what would it be like?

My thoughts...
Place a greater focus on user blogs.
Stitchers galleries (and from here, possibly allow direct purchase, using paypal)
Shredders galleries.
Trick guide / Trick Wiki ?
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 24 Jun 2009 05:23

modified is great.

it represents all aspects of the game. the casual kickers, the idealists, the gurus, the fanatics, the disciplined, the knowledge seekers...

drama ensues when these forces butt heads, but that's just the nature of people / forums / the internet / social interaction.

my only wish for modified is for the top players to take a stronger hand in its interaction & development. this sport is still growing, its limits have not been discovered. the new players need teachers & proper guidance. our sport isn't old enough yet to have dedicated coaches, footbag classes & the like, so we can only learn from each other.

i greatly appreciate the tidbits of knowledge i gain from seeing lon / jorden / anssi post about their training habits or techniques on specific concepts, or aaron giving advice on health & fitness.

while it's great that the intermediate players stick together to help each other out with the knowledge they have or provide purely positive encouragement for posted videos despite perceived weakness, the players who are looking down from the top have the most to offer, as they have been through the whole process of climbing.

it made me a bit sad to hear about the likewater movement, although i can understand that group wanting a place that could be dedicated purely to the viewpoint of footbag as sport.

it would be rad if a top player would see someone hit a "the" trick in a video, & instead of giving a blanket "work your basics" statement, would actually give specific tips in the thread on how to hit the component cleanly that they are missing. we would get away from the battling comments back & forth, & the discussion would revolve around things we care about.

( maybe that is a lofty assertion, some are defensive about their posted videos...but over time, intermediate & novice players, or advanced players with some weak concepts, would be able to get the assistance they need without ego playing a role. )

thanks to matt, anssi & dave for your tutorial videos. thanks to jorden for your diligent posting over the years to help younger players learn. thanks to aaron for keeping people on the right track to building a stronger body. thanks to everyone with real knowledge who is not afraid to share & allow our community to grow in the proper direction.

sincerely, modified addict. :D

/endrant
greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 24 Jun 2009 12:56

That's a good point. On other forums that I frequent (in fact, I spend more time posting/reading there than here) the experts are the ones posting the most. I've seen seasoned electricians answering (AGAIN) silly questions about wire gauges. And I've never seen a "Use the search button" type of rant from anyone there. Because if you just use the search button, where's the fun and conversation of it all.

Also, on the other forums, it's considered "cool" to be the expert that weighs in with advice and posts etc. Seems like for some it's considered uncool to post on modified - better to be aloof or something?

was about to just close the window, but what the hell, might as well submit
Bob R.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 24 Jun 2009 17:31

it would be rad if a top player would see someone hit a "the" trick in a video, & instead of giving a blanket "work your basics" statement, would actually give specific tips in the thread on how to hit the component cleanly that they are missing. we would get away from the battling comments back & forth, & the discussion would revolve around things we care about.
There are no secret tips. The majority of time when I see players hit tricks that are 'the' it's because the trick is too hard for them, and if they spent a long time specifically working on the specific reasons for hitting that trick incorrectly it would be of far less benefit than if they spent that time working on the easier components. If you hit a trick 'the' and you don't know how to fix it, I'd say it's almost certain that you should be working on easier tricks. Of course all players hit 'the' tricks, but when good players do, they know what went wrong and they can fix it.

While it is very important to put a lot of thought into your training and move technique, becoming a good player means having your body learn all the stuff you think about so that you no longer have to think. I am certainly relatively good, although not comparable with the people you mentioned, and when I hit a 'the' trick I usually know straight away why it was 'the' and how to fix it, without even seeing it on video. I don't think about it, it's just an automatic response and whenever I come across a trick that I'm not hitting well and can't immediately fix then I immediately go back to working on the components. Those players you did mention - Jorden, Lon and Anssi, are really good because they have really good basics. I don't know about Jorden because pretty much as soon as he appeared on modified he was posting crazy stuff, but Anssi and Lon spent literally years just working on basics, and the same can be said of Vasek and the Czech crew.. It really can't be stressed enough, if somebody wants to be seriously good at footbag, they need to work seriously hard at getting seriously solid basics. Telling intermediate players to work on their basics when they 'the' hard tricks is far better advice then telling them exactly how to fix the 'the' trick. Most of the time the problem is not difficult to solve yourself anyway - start the dexes earlier, have a better dexing circle.