the anti cramer

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!
Tsiangkun
Post Master General

the anti cramer

Post by Tsiangkun » 23 Jul 2009 18:27

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 23 Jul 2009 19:42

Did you post that because you agree with what he's saying, or because the video is hilarious?

The Internet; Giving a voice to stupid people since 1996.

It was pretty funny though. Apart from smashing things, and his ridiculous grasp of the economic situation, and economics generally, which I guess is probably really an expression of the frustration many people feel of their relative powerlessness over their lives, I found it amusing that he used Rage Against The Machine in his video - a band that clearly has a fairly strongly opposing view to him on most of the issues. The only thing they'd agree with would be the growing divide between rich and poor - although I'm sure they're aware that in relative terms the gap is narrowing, just in real terms is it increasing - which is because there's an ever growing amount of measured wealth in the world (in terms of a percentage of all wealth, the gap is getting smaller, but in terms of actual monetary value of the gap, it's getting larger).

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 24 Jul 2009 10:05

I posted it because he finally realized the harm of executive excess, and his reaction was anger.

The more people that reach this level of frustration with the system, the sooner we get a revolution.

First they broke the global economy.
Then they were too big to fail.
Then they got bailed out.
Then they payed out record bonuses.
Now they report record profits.
The global economy is still crap.

Executive heads should be displayed on pikes.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 24 Jul 2009 23:23

Sorry those are some pretty big generalisations. Care to post some specific examples of companies that broke the global economy, were too big to fail, were bailed out, paid out record bonuses and then reported record profits.

I disagree that the economy is crap. The standard of living in almost every country in the world has increased at any scale that you look at. There is less of a percentage of people below the poverty line now than there ever has been in the past, there is far more people with access to clean drinking water than there ever has been. On almost every measure of human development the world is becoming a better place every day, every week, every year and every decade.

This economic crisis has certainly taught the world a lot of good lessons, but it's certainly not a particularly meaningful event if we keep a big picture perspective.

The problem of course, and the reason why people are worried about the economic crisis and so angry, as this man is, is that they have such strong materialistic values. If you've invested half your life savings and lost them or you can't afford to buy a new TV or go on a holiday to Disney Land then that might be aggravating, but it doesn't have a very significant effect on your actual standard of living.

Of course the economic crisis hasn't been good for standards of living, but it's had a fairly small impact compared with things like the growing demand for meat in China and India. Indeed because it's curbed that growth in demand, in some places it's actually helped retard the food crisis. Of course that situation (mainly in South East Asia) is fairly complex.

Executive excess is (at least in my opinion) a fairly clear injustice and people who don't like it should take action - such as not dealing with corporations that make such payments, even if it's to the consumers detriment (or actually especially in that case, because that's when you're actually doing something meaningful), but it's a fairly trivial issue compared with larger global problems.

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 25 Jul 2009 06:44

No, I don't care to provide examples. Feeding trolls only encourages them.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 25 Jul 2009 23:01

Of course your response is entirely consistent with what I was implying; which is that the scenario you've outlined has not happened at all, and it's the just the made up speculations of somebody who doesn't really know what he's talking about but has a sense of injustice because of his leftist dogmatic ideology that dictates that large corporations are the root of all evil and thus completely responsible for the problems of the world directly through their greed.

This is an ideology with grains of truth in it, but as a whole not backed up by facts at all, which is why when you ask such people to provide actual real examples of the things they're claiming happen, they never can.

Claiming that I'm a troll and you're worried about feeding me etc. is merely the only response you can give without losing face at being called out making up lies (or repeating other peoples).

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 26 Jul 2009 08:08

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 26 Jul 2009 10:40

Tsiangkun wrote:Image

:roll:
Nicholas Laroche

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 27 Jul 2009 20:03

Is that a pic of a ceo?

Kyle Hewitt
something more funny

Post by Kyle Hewitt » 29 Jul 2009 20:16

i think it might be a picture of himself xmfd

fatbagger
Multidex Master

Post by fatbagger » 05 Aug 2009 09:42

I like how the guy keeps complaining about his $240 power bill and the goes on to do way more than $240 in damage to his house and property.

I think we all are to blame for the current economic crisis(u.s. espessially). We have it set up so that the jobs of a large majority of our population relies on people buying worthless junk(my brother just spent$5.99 on a ring tone). So when we can't afford these worthless things it causes lots of people to loose their jobs.

I work at UPS and anything thing that anyone, anywhere needs(besides water and local produce) we ship to them. We also ship water and produce :lol: . As of 1 yesr ago our main competitors were FedEx and DHL. since then DHL has left the US and FedEx has decreased its production over 50%. We have lost over 75% of our competition and we are still down 10% in volume from this time last year. This is just an example of how much one industry has fallen during the current economic crisis. Also a fair warning, don't ship anything through UPS that you dont feel safe dropping from 20 plus feet. Sorry about off topic ups fun fact time but here is another. 4 years ago a supervisor was on a conveyor belt 35-40 feet in the air and someone turned it on without his knowlege and he fell off landing on his head dying instantly. The management put a tarp over him and told everyone to work around him. It took aproximately 15=20 minutes for an ambulance to arrive and also lots of clean up time that we had to work around.

Anyway, cost of living is very high here and it is very expensive to eat anything that is healthy. Our economy is flawed and it is going to get worse before it gets better. My suggestion, plant a garden.

Just look at the media. They are desperately trying to get us to waste money again because thats the only way for our current economy to work. If we do, our economy will recover and things will most likely return to normal, but the rich will keep getting richer and the rest will continue to slip into poverty. It's a joke.

Luckilly for me I have a reliable job so I just pay my bills, ignore the media and eat lots of top ramen (10 cents a pop, or less).

Thoes two song are among my favorites by the way.
I like to play.
I want to play good.
Dan Reed

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 09 Aug 2009 18:06

The cash for clunkers program is crap. We are in a budget deficit, to anyone with common sense they realize that means the govt doesnt have 4500 to buy a car.
But all kinds of wealthy people are turning in cars with a good usefull life left in them. These cars are all crushed, its to pump up the auto industry. The auto industry has been bloated for years. Now our kids and grand kids get to pay 4500 for us to have a new ride... Im headed to the dealership because I crashed my car and its worth less than 4500 - LMAO

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 09 Aug 2009 20:18

Interesting.

I haven't really heard much about the policy - but two of the blogs I read regularly both had strong opinions about it - in different directions;

http://scienceblogs.com/guiltyplanet/20 ... carbon.php

http://climateprogress.org/2009/08/05/c ... -co2-free/

I guess the two claims are not exactly mutually exclusive and if you combine them, it demonstrates just how complicated mapping the consequences of public policy can be. Worth a read anyway.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 12 Aug 2009 14:52

from jeremys source "So the billion dollar program pays the taxpayers back in oil savings in 5 years. That means the CO2 savings are for free!"
The problem is its people with alot of money who are buying the new cars, and getting the fuel economy savings. Everyone else gets to pay 4500.00 towards their brand new car. I cant afford a new car! But my taxes go towards their cars. 4500 is over a years worth of federal taxes!!! So every penny of the 4000 I gave the govt last year went to buy someone a brand new car? And I drive a 13 year old car worth less than 2000.00 How does that make sense?

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 14 Aug 2009 01:14

$4500 is less than a year's worth of federal taxes. 8O

Is that because you pay a lot of state taxes as well, or are tax rates in the US incredibly low?

I worked fulltime for all of last financial year in a below average wage job and paid about double that in tax.

The economic justice of the policy is interesting anyway. It's not something I had thought much about. At the same time, I guess the purpose of the policy isn't to try to make the world a fairer place but to stimulate the car industry and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Apparently the policy is achieving those goals. Stimulating the car industry means keeping people in jobs, which means less money going to welfare than without the policy and more tax money coming in - hence the government will end up with more money than it's paying to people - so actually your $4000 is being invested by government so that they can later spend $5000 on services that you need (or tax cuts, or whatever - also I made up the number $5000). At least that's what I imagine supporters of the legislation would argue. You'd really need to look at the specific economic models etc. to know if that argument stacks up or not.

I agree about the unfairness of only people who are rich enough being able to take advantage of the grant, but what solution to this can you offer that still addresses the issues of stimulating the car industry and converting people towards lower emission vehicles, and over time won't cost much money, or the money will be recouped.