Mycology

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 17 Jul 2010 13:30

I don't know. I didn't notice when I was taking the photo, but it is fairly small, maybe about 5mm across at the widest part of the cap. It was also getting a little dark, so maybe :P

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 19 Jul 2010 04:36

8th from bottom is indeed Boletellus. Friends of mine were doing a subject that had a prac on fungi today, so I snuck in and picked the brains of the people running it. They basically vindicated how difficult it is to identify species, and particular in Tasmania where the majority haven't been scientifically described. Even in the collection they brought in, with two of Tasmania's leading experts on fungi, and a mycology phd student, they could only name about half, and some of the ones they had probably were new species. Anyway they showed another picture of the same species, looking very similar to my photo, so I can confirm it :)

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 30 Aug 2010 02:33

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 11 Jan 2011 21:35

Aseroe rubra

Smells like rotting meat.

lotus
Multidex Master

Post by lotus » 13 Jan 2011 15:45

wow, so it looks like it smells then ... 8O.
[it looks like an alien life form eating a human baby ... in a pretty nature way of course : ]

as jeremy well knows, i am incapable of adding anything scientific or intelligent to this topic [although i did watch/listen to the TED talk ... very interesting], but i can offer some more visual examples of australian fungi.

from tasmania [the tarkine rainforest] ...

from queensland [finch hatton gorge, eungella national park] ...

from western australia [stoneville - pic1, and giblett forest - pics 2, 3] ...

jeremy, i'd like all of the above identified by tomorrow morning when we meet for footbag please!
oh, and remember the blue pent wasabi bag and the music :wink:.
only the movement moves
lotus
www.elementalfootbags.com

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 13 Jan 2011 18:35

Excellent photos Lotus. Here are my IDs;

1. Hygrocybe sp. (probably miniata.

2. The lighting makes it difficult to determine. Obviously a Basidiomycot, and my guess is Armillaria novaezelandiae

3. Very difficult, but probably Cortinarius sp.

4. Aurantiporus pulcherriums

5. Hericium coralloides

6. Mycena sp.

7. No idea. Can't even determine the phylum.

8. Maybe Tephrocybe sp.

9-11. Trametes versicolor - "Rainbow fungus."

12. Ramaria sp. possibly lorithamnus

13. Difficult to tell. Could be Lycogala epidendrum in the Myxoomycota phlum, but more likely an undeveloped Basidiomycota. Probably Crucibulum laeve

14. Probably Armillaria pallidula with mould growing on it.

Dave Soderberg
Hack Fiend

Post by Dave Soderberg » 22 Jan 2011 18:17

It's nice to se fellow footbaggers that share my other passion. I sit on shroomery.org working on my identification alot because the weather here in western New York is shitty this time of year.

Happy Hunting

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Jun 2011 01:58

Here's a bunch of new fungi photos :)

Just near to where I live (about 50m away) is a little gully of native vegetation. The whole area is actually pretty big, but starts very small and narrow, and my girlfriend and I walk around a little loop track - probably about 4km in total. We walk this a few times a week, so are getting pretty familiar with the fauna and flora. I especially often take plant samples home to identify :). It's a good walk because the gully has that classical wet on one side and try on the other ecology, so we get two different communities. There's also variable fire disturbance, and one side runs along the back of some houses, so we get invasive species disturbance in a section too - so some nice variation. I also keep a bird list of birds in the area. We often look for fungi too, and in the last 2 weeks there has been an explosion of new fungis, so all these photos come from one walk around that loop, and I actually photographed a lot more that turned out not to be very photogenic, at least in my incapable hands.

:)

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 08 Jun 2011 05:07

That purple coral fungi looks awesome. Thanks for posting those Jeremy.
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Jun 2011 06:19

Yeah that was my favourite too. I think it might be Ramaria versatilis. I'd never seen it before, but there was heaps of it in a number of patches.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 08 Jun 2011 13:21

I love this thread, btw.

I've done drawings from several of the photos, and have taken pictures of a few fungi but I doubt they're anything special. I have no real interest in the scientific part of it, partially because it seems like such a big undertaking. I actually don't even know if these are all even fungi.

Here's some of my photos:

Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Jun 2011 13:42

That's cool Zac, good to see somebody else posting here :) I like the second photo of the puff balls particularly. As a kid we used to have big fights at school throwing those at each other :). The third photo is not of fungi, but of moss sporangium (reproductive parts). Also interesting :)

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 08 Jun 2011 15:49

Thanks Jeremy, glad you enjoyed them.

Yeah, I was pretty sure that wasn't fungi but I really liked the picture so I included it anyways. :)
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 24 Jul 2011 19:29

Some new fungi photos :)

I took the opportunity to participate in some science/environmental activism doing some studies in to the amount of carbon found in some forests that are planned on being logged soon (as in, this year). It was fun and there were lots of fungi. I'll include a photo of the trees in this forest too, since they are the biggest flowering plants in the world, and debatable the biggest trees in the world (they are slightly smaller than famous Redwoods, but most have the tops knocked off them due to wind, so it's argued that they would grow taller in less windy sites. There are old reports of trees much taller than the Redwoods - the largest report is 140m from the 19th century, but none confirmed, and the early Europeans cut down most of the biggest ones. There are still people who go out into this kind of forest especially hoping to find the biggest tree in the world :))

(Lichen is a symboitic relationship between a fungi and an algae :) )

Eucalyptus regnans (only a small one though. We saw much bigger ones in the forest, but it's much harder to take photos of them. This was taken from the logging road. When this coupe is logged, everything photographed will be destroyed).

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 25 Jul 2011 16:24

I'm lichen those pictures said the fun guy to the al guy.
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 11 Aug 2011 19:32

No pictures, but I found about 4lb of chanterelles this week in northern Illinois.

Reid Strellner

Mr. Mushies
Circle Kicker

Post by Mr. Mushies » 30 Mar 2012 16:53

I can't figure out how to upload any photos on here cause I'm internet retarded, but you can check out all my mushrooms I have found on facebook. I identified a bunch of them myself but some were also corrected by a Trusted Identifier on Shroomery.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 062&type=3
Dave Soderberg

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 30 Mar 2012 23:36

Really cool photos, cheers. I liked the variety of boletales; and especially this one;

Does the staining blue mean that it's hallucinogenic?

To post pictures from facebook open a photo, right click on photo and "copy image URL" - then come to modified and paste the link like this;

Hope that helps

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 31 Mar 2012 10:53

Here's a microscopic photo of a mushroom I recently found:

Mr. Mushies
Circle Kicker

Post by Mr. Mushies » 31 Mar 2012 17:40

Does the staining blue mean that it's hallucinogenic?

There is only one Hallucinogenic mushroom that has pores and bruises blue. It doesn't contain Psilocybin though, and it was found somewhere in Asia. I can't remember the name of the mushroom besides for that it was a Bolete.

The only hallucinogenic mushroom I have found in the past 4 years of hunting mushrooms is Gymnopilus junonius. Sadly I don't have a photo of it, but I dried it and it has been sitting in my drawer for the past year :)

I'm off hunting Morels this week hopefully.

Thanks for the heads up on how to post photos.
Dave Soderberg