1st Quarter Online Comps 2011 Official Release!

Your moves. Your combos. All up for video review in these Sick Online Competitions.

Moderators: BalinorNZ, max

TheLast
Fearless

Post by TheLast » 11 Apr 2011 17:06

C-Fan wrote:Can we get a YT link for these?
youtube usually remove the audio :s. but if someone can upload them the vimeo it would be good. i'll see if i can upload them tomorrow
Paulo Castro

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 11 Apr 2011 17:55

Thanks for the video and all the entries ..... 8O
SHRED HARD!

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 12 Apr 2011 01:00

Asmus wrote:I am willing to judge. I have judging experience from tournaments.
I won't do it alone though. That wouldn't be fair.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 12 Apr 2011 10:50

I can judge also if needed.

Awesome sick 1, Mark.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 13 Apr 2011 11:04

^ thanks man :D

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 14 Apr 2011 15:49

I love, love, love seeing new players!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep it up guys! I'm ready for the next wave of shredders!
Also loved the reactions and how happy you guys are hitting your combos. Great to see the joy of footbag among so many players.
Thanks, everyone, for these, this has made my day...now off to shred.
Justin Dale
Videos

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 14 Apr 2011 16:33

I'm always happy to judge these things.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 17 Apr 2011 07:49

Zac, Jeremy and me as judges is fine with me.

Is it okay with everybody?

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 17 Apr 2011 09:39

sounds good to me! thanks guys :)
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 17 Apr 2011 12:33

^ +1

jaust
Multidex Master

Post by jaust » 17 Apr 2011 14:04

+1

thanks for doing this
Michael L.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 28 Apr 2011 01:22

Ok well I haven't heard anything but here are my results anyway, official or otherwise. Sick 1 results anyway, sick 3 coming in a few minutes. I'll include the comments I wrote down as watching, which aren't comparison comments, but just criticism of each individual trick, and will add some comments about placing. The comments I wrote while watching were mainly negatives, but most of them were very small issues, but may not come across like that, so in most cases only represent tiny room for improvement. I'll put them in italics.

1. Mark Monistere - swirling gyro torquescrew
A small question about last dex - leg a bit straight. Still good though.
While I thought the last dex could have been a more dynoish (ie. rev whirling style dex), I thought this was overall both the hardest trick, and very well executed. Top 2 was very close.

2. Ken Somolinos - stepping paradox symposium whirling swirl
Set a little crooked + a bit uncontrolled at finish.
Well executed and very difficult. I thought Mark's move is probably slightly harder, but it's very difficult to compare.

3. Brian Sherril - double spin symp rev whirl (no plant)
Good set + spins - big reach on clipper at end and poor balance.
A difficult move, especially without the plant. Difficulty is closish to top 2, but I rated it a little bit easier, and the execution at the finish was not great.

4. David Castillo - stepping zulu pdx whirl
Whirl a bit thin, ok though.
Good set and duck, just a bit toey around the whirl. Execution better than third but difficulty significantly less. Still hard though.

5. Zeb Jackson - pixie mute atomic mute dyno
Funny move. Looks ok.
The discussion Zeb was having about distinguishing this from pixie motion and sailing muted ss dyno was interesting, but I don't know if I really want to be so technical in dividing up moves. I'm also unconvinced if you can really call it an atomic set if you're dexing peek time. Anyway it was interesting, and for what he claims to be hitting it is pretty well executed, although I didn't rate the difficulty to be a great deal harder than the other variations that this isn't. Harder than pixie motion, but pretty similar to sailing muted ss dyno. Thought execution was pretty similar to 4th place but that this was easier.

6. Nick Polini - Flapper set ripwalk.
Looks good.
Well executed and flapper set stepping is hard, although I see that you don't really have a flat surface in order to be able to do the stall lower down. It was pretty close between this and 5th but I thought that was just a little bit harder.

7. Sebastian Ceballos - whirling swirl
Looks clean. A little unbalanced and reaching but good.
Execution was excellent and a difficult move. Could have easily finished 2 spots lower were it not for the good execution.

8. Javier Osorio - fairy diving osis
Fairy looks a little toey. Very good dive and osis.
The dex on the fairy set wasn't that great but the rest of the move is really well executed, and I especially like your osis form, which isn't dragged at all. It was very tight with 7th, but I thought the execution on that move was slightly better.

9. Tim Harper - pixie paradon
Dexes look fine. Stall too far forward on foot -> hence poor set out.
Reasonably well executed apart from the stall at the end. Not as well executed as moves above and probably easier.

10. Pawel Scierski - Symp whirl ss symp rev whirl xbdy rake
Very dubious second dex
A difficult move, but out dex>op xbdy rake are really easy to 'the' and that's what makes the move difficult. In this case there's so little movement with the dexing leg that I'm sure it's the. I think these kinds of tricks are generally bad to do in video comps because there'll always be questions about the dex cleanliness, but if you do do them you really need to make sure that you accentuate that dex as much as you can. As it is, it's basically just a funny looking toe stall.

11. Michael Lamberjohann - atomic ss butterfly xbdy rake
Also dubious second dex
See above. I put this as 11th because I thought it was an easier move. Execution needs a lot of work.

12. Antonio Linero - spinning xbdy rake
Nice Hair. Spin set crooked, uncontrolled finish.
Perhaps unlucky not to be 10th, but execution is still not very good and difficulty is easier than above moves.

13. Diego Velasquez - pdx mirage
Don't plant mirage foot on this move. A little unbalanced at end.
My notes probably explain all there is to be said - an easy move and the execution could be better.

14. Jackson Raap - "The Copter"
What? Slow mo is good.
While I appreciate the creativity of entering this trick in the competition, the two factors that I was judging on were execution and difficulty, not creativity. While the execution was as good as you could expect with a move like this, the difficulty was too low.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 28 Apr 2011 05:00

Pretty much agree with all of Jeremy's comments, and the order looks right to me too. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Empty
Shredaholic

Post by Empty » 28 Apr 2011 05:29

Very dubious second dex
A difficult move, but out dex>op xbdy rake are really easy to 'the' and that's what makes the move difficult. In this case there's so little movement with the dexing leg that I'm sure it's the. I think these kinds of tricks are generally bad to do in video comps because there'll always be questions about the dex cleanliness, but if you do do them you really need to make sure that you accentuate that dex as much as you can. As it is, it's basically just a funny looking toe stall.
I disagree, the second dex is also clean, I'm sure this move is executed correctly.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuKzDllL95U[/youtube]

This is the same video I sent for comp, check it out once again.

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 28 Apr 2011 07:56

I thought this was right on, esp for the top 3. My thoughts were that tricks 1,2, and 3 are equally difficult in very different ways (making it kinda hard to judge). However, I thought mark's 1 was executed the best and slightly more creative. and mine had a slightly sloppy catch. there you have 1,2,3.
good judging, looking forward to the sick 3 results, pretty the tops are me, ken, and zach.

pawel, the dexes in the symp whirl/sym rev whirl look good. It is the rake part that is not clean, or maybe a combo of the symp rev whirl/rake: bag the bag looks like it is coming into you a little bit, which makes it looks more of like a weird toe stall in the end, you really have to rake that motha. cool trick anyhow.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Empty
Shredaholic

Post by Empty » 28 Apr 2011 12:46

Maybe your right, but all the dexes are well executed, so I don't know why it's so underrated.

Corey
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Corey » 28 Apr 2011 13:05

Here are my rankings cuz I am procrastinating.

Mark
Brian
Ken
Pawel
Zeb
David
Nick
Javier
Sebastian
Tim
Michael
Antonio
Diego
Jackson

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 29 Apr 2011 04:06

Sorry there may be a delay in sick 3 as I have a heap of different stuff to do, but hopefully when I need a break I'll finish off my results. Actually jugding only takes a few minutes, but writing up the results seems to take a lot longer, or maybe it's just not as fun :P

Regarding Pawel's combo. Watching that video, it's clearly "the." Pause the video with th]est point. To do a symp reverse whirl you have to bring the dexing foot completely over the top of the bag. Your leg is almost vertical and about 10 cm off the ground. Compare it to this video of Norek (or should I say "Rekordy" - what's with that guy only hitting consecutives?) hitting normal reverse whirls;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDnSwsn_820

See how high his foot comes up - well above knee height. For a clean symp reverse whirling xbdy rake you need to still completely the reverse whirling dex before the next component. You're clearly not bringing your foot up over the bag. If you were dexing it, it would be a symp butterfly, but based on your lack of horizontal movement, and the lack of your stalling foot ever moving in to a cross body position, it's hard to imagine how there could be any dex at all. If you really think it's clean, film another one where you're facing the camera at the point when you stall the bag.