Call all (cheap) stitchers!

This is for footbag related items only.
turtlesacker
Hack Fiend

Call all (cheap) stitchers!

Post by turtlesacker » 27 Nov 2008 18:24

Hi im new and cant afford many bags, so i would like to find someone that could help me make some, and/or buy one of there own, right now i have a new dirtbag filled with metal bbs aproximatly 50 grams and 1.6 iunches accross and i love it. Soooooooooooooooooo..................any help would be apreciated.

LEGOMAN
Egyptian Footgod

Post by LEGOMAN » 27 Nov 2008 23:13

if you're new you can't go wrong with getting a mr.sandbag

freedomfootbags.com

the owner is awesome and the footbags are cheap and are better then dirtbags (which is the bag i started out with)
People that like LEGOMAN - 10
People that hate LEGOMAN - 1000
LEGOMAN´s posts - Priceless

turtlesacker
Hack Fiend

Post by turtlesacker » 28 Nov 2008 07:13

Thats what ive heard, but i would still like to become a stitcher, so anyone that can help, dont hold back! :P :D

JoshC.
Multidex Master

Post by JoshC. » 28 Nov 2008 08:41

If you want to start stitching, than you need these things:
-Ultrasuede light. http://www.fieldsfabrics.com/index.html
-a good pair of scissors to cut the fabric
-needles
-thread: Floss
-pen to draw on the fabric
-a template
http://www.modified.in/footbag/viewtopi ... 58&start=0

Once you get all of those things then come back and ask more specific questions. I found that the biggest obstacle in starting was getting everything I needed. I hope this helped.
Josh Cummings

I'll rest when I'm dead.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Check out my shred blog: http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... 20&start=0
Check out my skate blog: http://cummingsspeedskating.blogspot.com/

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 28 Nov 2008 09:25

we have been "not holding back" for years now.

there is SO MUCH INFORMATION on how to stitch on modified. do you feel that it should be rewritten and reorganized in this thread just for you?

check out bags and equipments. there is a thread called stitching tips and tutorials. it's about 14 or 15 pages long. browse through the whole thing to find pertinent material (which, really, will take no time at all) before you ask for "any help". Give stitching a try first, come up with some real questions, and THEN post. You'll get much better information.

Sincerely, you want help? this is the best help I can give you: help yourself as much as possible before trying to get someone else to do it. your questions will be more well received if you ask specific questions about specific stitching issues not, "any help".
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

turtlesacker
Hack Fiend

Post by turtlesacker » 28 Nov 2008 10:22

I actually just found that thread, but i have read other things and it is hard for me to understand written instructions because i am a visual learner. But this thread is a big help so ill try first and come back later. BTW thanks JoshC.

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 28 Nov 2008 14:15

If you are a visual learner, it would help to find a stitcher near your area. However, I can't tell what city you live in at the moment, nor the state in which you reside. I don't even know your name. So I can't really help you due to lack of information.

Like Matt said, the info is there. Make the step in paying close and careful attention on what to do. Also, if you track my posts, I've given plenty of advice on what you should do, what is important in making a good bag, and refining the fundamentals that go into stitching.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

kidzanshin
Shredaholic

Post by kidzanshin » 28 Nov 2008 15:54

im not sure whether other stitchers have found this, but for me, LEARNING to stitch was fairly expensive

once you've bought enough material for decent colour selection and all the other equipment and include all the stuff you use up on those first bags (which realistically wont be all too great) you've spent a lot more than it wouldve cost more than buying from another stitcher

of course in the long run you can make some money selling, and can take great pleasure in making bags, to start with you will be in the red. so if you cant afford bags from others im not sure you'll be able to afford LEARNING to stitch either (although of course this depends on how many bags you intend on buying)
Matt Bailey

"never forget the cultivation of the mind and the body"

Flutterbags for sale and trade http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=19298 £10 / €14 / $21

turtlesacker
Hack Fiend

Post by turtlesacker » 29 Nov 2008 10:21

I am a beginning bag stitcher, but not a beginning sewer, i have all the materials, i just needed to know the technique. As of now i am making my first bag ( 32 started out hard :roll: :D ) but its coming out nice, even though the fabric is not flexible,( its micro suede for like furniture or something) so wont invest in any USL yet because im a beginner. I will be done by the end of today and will post a pic......Oh yea and ill update my profile.

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 29 Nov 2008 19:27

i dont think anybody remember this :

dontstart stitching with ultrasuede, too expensive for the result, just grab an old t-shirt and go for it. then switch to better fabric ( i used faux suede back in the day ) and it was 5 $ / meter, not that expensive

then switch to US
Julien Cote

Proud to be sponsored by http://www.kolosport.com