Trick Shots

1, 2, 3, 4. Keep that bag off the floor.
Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 24 Mar 2007 21:51

Co-op screens (or whatever you want to call it) is something I picked up from playing with Montreal 4-square players at NYJ 05. The basic idea is that one player uses his body to help hide the shot of an attacking player. It can be extremely effective when executed properly.

One of the more common plays we run is setting up and attacking the the king (square 4) from the second square. Player one will move over to the middle of the court with his back to the target square while being careful not to step over any lines. Player two will have to adjust his position to try and keep the first player between himself and the king.

If the king moves to his left to get a better view, the attacker can try one of two shots:
- Short pass that will go between the screener's legs and land just past the line. This usually takes some subtle communication with the screening player. This is why the cooperating players are face to face to begin with. Another reason is in case the pass is too high, player two will be able to see it and move out of the way or make any other kinds of adjustments.
- Straight shot with very little arc to the king's back right corner.

If the king moves to his right, the shot can be placed in his left corners or anywhere on the far left side. This is great when he anticipates the short pass between the legs and plays very close to the center of the court. It also takes advantage of most player's weak side.

Ideally, you will want a big body for the screen and someone who can control the bag well and pass accurately setting up the play. He will have to control the bag and see how the king is reacting to the screen. After the screen, player one will have to quickly get back into a better defensive position in case the king successfully defends the pass. If not, he will be leaving most of his square open.

Yeah, yeah... too much time on my hands, I know, I know.
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 07 Apr 2007 08:24

The SECRET TECHNIQUE is devastating. I've used a couple times (trying to work on it) & Freddie used it yesterday. If I can perfect this people are gonna hate me.
Last edited by Frank_Sinatra on 09 Apr 2007 06:07, edited 1 time in total.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 07 Apr 2007 11:03

Yeah, ******** shot is hell to defend. A lot of my defense is reading the opponent's position and leg swing. When I see they they are ** *** ****** or **** of their square and ******* ** for a ***** shot I will move ****** into my square. If they hit that ******** I'm either too stunned to react or I'm forced to ***** ******* wildly for the ***** pass. (You did not change it , so I did it for you, Zeke. Don't make me kick you apart... ~N.A.~)

Frank_Sinatra wrote:Its nice to score with the soft knee or the soft knee + fake - all the experienced players have learned to anticipate this.
Some players telegraph certain moves too. When Ronnie gets his toes on the line he's going to knee the serve. Sometimes you get in your River dance stance before a knee bump. I'll drop my right leg back in a left lead stance if I'm going to sole shove a serve.

Frank_Sinatra wrote:And I'm loving the big inside right as my reliable return of choice. Decent power, good control & good reach, plus I can screen off it a little.
I particularly envy when you change up and arc it high above and behind you, walking backwards to the target square then execute an about face while screening the descent of the bag into the next square. Reile uses a similar technique and both are total bitch to defend without the risk of contact.

Frank_Sinatra wrote:Key point of the game - Freddie & I were locked into a duel, like around ten returns each, I dumped it off to Cudo & got the point. Kind of cheap, but smart.
It's very sound strategy for Ksq. Tom has been a master at this long before we even realized he was doing it. Actually "we" didn't come to realize anything, he told us and were like, "Oh! Shit!" You'll think he'll be locked into a duel then suddenly attack an often unsuspecting square. After 2 or 3 volleys watch for the right outside kick followed by a quick duck/body screen.

Frank_Sinatra wrote:I managed to postpone Zeke's eventual win through lucky square position. Zeke was King, I was sq2, with Ronnie & Freddie in the other squares to set screens - on three consecutive trips to Ksq by Zeke. The screens were good but my executions of the screen passes weren't great. Zeke got his foot on them but didn't get the right kick on them, so I guess they worked well enough.
Yeah, they did. I think I'll refer to the 2 man screen as Seige Towers from now on...

It's rare that I find myself on the receiving end of co-op screens. I was more surprised than usual to a victim of them 3 times in a row. It seems that all the drilling we did last summer has payed off. We should practice more co-op moves.
Last edited by Zeke on 09 Apr 2007 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

xXLoss_of_ControlXx
Egyptian Footgod

Post by xXLoss_of_ControlXx » 08 Apr 2007 17:14

Zeke wrote: I think I'll refer to the 2 man screen as Seige Towers from now on...
What if its Kudo and twitch screening?
It seems that all the drilling we did last summer has payed off. We should practice more co-op moves.
Agreed.
Freddy Noinaj of the CIC?

"Sweet" Simon

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 09 Apr 2007 06:05

Zeke wrote:
Frank_Sinatra wrote:Its nice to score with the soft knee or the soft knee + fake - all the experienced players have learned to anticipate this.
Some players telegraph certain moves too. When Ronnie gets his toes on the line he's going to knee the serve. Sometimes you get in your River dance stance before a knee bump. I'll drop my right leg back in a left lead stance if I'm going to sole shove a serve.
Damn. Good call. I had not realized this until now but you're totally correct.

Also, I edited that earlier post. I've buried the scroll for the secret technique on the top of Wu-Tang mountain.
Last edited by Frank_Sinatra on 09 Apr 2007 06:08, edited 1 time in total.

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 09 Apr 2007 06:06

Wow, I don't think I can play 4square with you guys anymore .. it would just be too depressing losing all the time.

Ya'll got skillz way past me ... shit ya'll even gotz the skillz to pay the billz yo!

The Actual Sized E
Fearless

Post by The Actual Sized E » 09 Apr 2007 06:13

quadgun wrote:Ya'll got skillz way past me ... shit ya'll even gotz the skillz to pay the billz yo!
I've been trying to apply my 4square prowess to billz payment for a while now. No dice. :?

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 09 Apr 2007 16:36

The Actual Sized E wrote:
quadgun wrote:Ya'll got skillz way past me ... shit ya'll even gotz the skillz to pay the billz yo!
I've been trying to apply my 4square prowess to billz payment for a while now. No dice. :?
I wasn't talking about you bhoy.

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 09 Apr 2007 23:50

pwnt

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 13 Apr 2007 20:57

I cant WAIT! LOVEEE I hope there is an infite time loop and we just live worlds over and over again.. playing much 4 square... and chillin.

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 15 Apr 2007 23:46

yeayuh

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 18 Apr 2007 20:33

max wrote:he winds up as if to "kill" someone (although this is quite an unethical thing to do), releases his kick as everyone scatters out of the way (myself included) only to find out that he completely missed contact with the bag.... and the bag continues its descent straight to my side of the line....
I got a few of these today 8) Actually I didn't even finish the kick, just needed a convincing wind up. Goldberg has a great version of this with a toe kick, not nearly as intimidating but his timing and aim make it an almost certain kill.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 24 Apr 2007 22:16

Came up with some a new version of a double tap on accident. I was in 1sq and the intended shot was a short right knee bump to my left side (headed towards 3sq) then redirecting with a low right toe kick to target the far outer corner of Ksq. The set from the knee was too high and I thought it might get picked off if I waited for the low toe kick. My leg was still in the air after the knee bump when I extended it straight out then did this weird praying mantis-type thing kicking the bag with the outside of my foot. At the same time the rest of my body spun left, almost ending in a dragon stall position. Somehow the pass stayed inbounds and arced just enough to keep from being a blatant spike. I was just as surprised as everyone else when it killed the king. I didn't see a damn thing after the spin. It seems almost too flashy to be practical. Of course, that's not to say I'll never try it again...

Praying Mantis... I like it 8)
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 25 Apr 2007 20:05

I hope to see it in action!

edit: I finally read this entire thread. One of the bust threads on modified! I had a nice laugh at the peter kick! Thanks Zeke!

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 01 May 2007 23:33

More than a year ago I wrote:Spent quite a bit of time practicing aiming for the near corners of opponents squares ... I try getting it as close to the lines as possible. Sometimes it means getting it on the line but I hope to get better accuracy with time.

I guess it's not really a trick shot, just good placement.
In genera,l my shot placement has improved abundantly since the time of my quote. Just ask anyone who has received the between-the-legs-screen :wink: 8) While the front corner shots are still streaky, overall they are landing with more frequency than before. When the bag lands within less than an inch past the line, how much of that is luck and how much is skill?
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 08 Sep 2007 09:13

I would love to make a trick shot video. Anyone want to film, capture, edit, and host such a thing? I can do some of the trick shots :lol:
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

xXLoss_of_ControlXx
Egyptian Footgod

Post by xXLoss_of_ControlXx » 08 Sep 2007 11:10

Zeke wrote:I would love to make a trick shot video. Anyone want to film, capture, edit, and host such a thing? I can do some of the trick shots :lol:
ZEKE, its like you read my mind! i was planning on bringing my camera out and film some squares, but i thought it would be to quick and it would be hard to capture so i thought that maybe i would have you stand in a square with a camera on a tripod in the opposing square and you did trickshots,self screens, andscreens(would require 2people).
Freddy Noinaj of the CIC?

"Sweet" Simon

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 28 Sep 2007 14:02

You want to know the best thing about snaking?

You're on offense ALL the time. Everyone is setting you up for kills whether they realize it or not.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 01 Oct 2007 10:08

During the tournament in Warsaw last weekend, while playing casually with Gielnik I executed the best trick shot in my career :) I was standing with my back facing my opponent, the bag delayed on my right toe. I set up the bag to my left side, up to my waist, screening it, aiming just behind the line. In the last second, when Gielnik already went to save it I bumped it with the side of my left thigh, did a matrix style bend of the body, sending it across my body, screened, to the right side. The arc was just above knees, leaving my opponent no time to react. The bag landed inches behind the line and Gielnik could only congratulate me :D It was an awesome feeling.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 15 Oct 2007 09:33

I've imagined your shot in my mind a million times, and if it is what I think it is, a self screening double tap, that is a freaking scary shot!
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood