Offline time due to upgrades, different theme coming

Topics about or relating to the forum itself and how it's run.
Allan

Offline time due to upgrades, different theme coming

Post by Allan » 21 Dec 2016 08:06

Hi.

The software that runs the forum needs to be upgraded. Normally, I can do the upgrade with very little downtime. This time, however, I need to move everything to a new server, and I'm choosing to the do the upgrade while I do that. I need to put the forum into read-only mode for about a half a day or maybe a bit more.

When it comes back up, it will have a rather dramatically different theme; the stock theme that comes with the software. This is probably just a temporary thing for a few days, but, frankly, it's not very high on the priorities list. The new version of phpBB breaks something in the custom theme that I wrote for the older version. I've actually tried 2-3 times already to fix it with no luck, but now things are such that I'm forced to upgrade at the cost of loosing all my work :roll:

The new theme isn't great, but it's usable. I'll do my best to make it prettier and smooth the transition as much as possible.

Questions?

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Offline time due to upgrades, different theme coming

Post by Tjuggles » 21 Dec 2016 14:12

Allan wrote:Questions?

How do they cram all that graham into Golden Grahams?
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Allan

Post by Allan » 22 Dec 2016 19:30

So, this happened. There are some other casualties of this move: badges and Ianek's freestyle moves list, as well as the image uploader. All these things will come back in the coming weeks/months and more.

This move & upgrade took me way longer than expected, and I'm not really very happy about it :( But it's important to me that it's done as the way I had hosting setup before ended up costing me way too much money ...

More laters.

Allan

Post by Allan » 22 Dec 2016 21:13

Testing on the new server now that the domain is pointing in the right place and the certs have been renewed...

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 23 Dec 2016 03:45

Thanks a lot for continuing to maintain modified Allan.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Allan

Post by Allan » 23 Dec 2016 10:01

Apparently there's an issue with video embeds. I'm aware of it and working on it.

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 23 Dec 2016 10:45

looks great Allan, thanks! It's certainly easier to navigate a traditional forum template instead of the grid format.

Allan

Post by Allan » 23 Dec 2016 11:25

Dio wrote:
23 Dec 2016 10:45
It's certainly easier to navigate a traditional forum template instead of the grid format.
Interesting; I've heard more positive feedback about the grid format than negative. Can you explain what you mean by "easier?" Just that it's "easier" to scan straight up and down that across? I think this is where "easier" is pretty subjective, though that is not to say that your opinion is in any way invalid. When I introduced the grid format, I did, actually, intend to add a switch in the UI so that folks with your preference could default to a more traditional list.

Personally, I think the traditional layout looks incredibly dated; in general, I really hate the default theme :) The grid just has so much more room and, I believe, creates a better separation between the different forum purposes; cramming them all together into a table/list might be more efficient in some ways, but my eye finds that really unattractive and I don't find the grid to be any slower; there are actually more forums shown at one time on the grid that in the list.

Thanks for the feedback :D

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 26 Dec 2016 06:07

Allan wrote:
23 Dec 2016 11:25
Dio wrote:
23 Dec 2016 10:45
It's certainly easier to navigate a traditional forum template instead of the grid format.
Can you explain what you mean by "easier?"
You're right, it's certainly my preference. For example I had a grid format on my music player and found that it slowed my search time for artists and albums. Perhaps I could correct it with an altered scanning algorithm :P

SlashC
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SlashC » 26 Dec 2016 19:21

I liked the previous custom theme the best, but this one works too for the time being! I appreciate your hard work at getting this upgraded and back up and running again.
Rory "Tophat" Dawson

---

"You can ask a stranger, my legs is fast and danger!"