User Registration and Spam

Topics about or relating to the forum itself and how it's run.
Allan

User Registration and Spam

Post by Allan » 13 Feb 2023 10:58

Hello! It's been a minute :wink: I hope this finds everyone happy and healthy.

Either this PHPbb installation is hacked, or sometime within the past 3-6 months one of the admins here made a poor decision to open user registration to the general public with nothing more than user-verified email.

As a result, several spammers have made it in here. Fortunately, the intruder(s) have been employing a conservative strategy, but I've still deleted numerous spam threads and posts and users.

A site like this simply cannot have open registration without a full-time admin team monitoring things or it will be overrun. Not to overstep my bounds as my involvement here has been non-existent for years, but I have set the new user setting to require admin approval for new users. (EDIT:) This means that @"Zac Miley" and I are a bottleneck for new users (see below).

If no admin opened registration, then we've got a much bigger issue in that the site is likely hacked and nothing I've done here will stop them from just turning open registration back on.

EDIT: At the momemt, only @"Zac Miley" and I are site admins. That should probably change to include, like, at least @tjuggles & @boyle and maybe @asmus too?

Whoever is running the show these days: sup?

boyle
Post Master General

Re: User Registration and Spam

Post by boyle » 15 Feb 2023 23:40

Hi Allan - nice to see you on here. I opened it up for the moment, just a week or so ago, I was interested to see the effect and was meaning to turn it back off in the coming days.

I'm not sure if they're employing such a conservative strategy or Modified has become such an internet backwater that is not even worth spamming...

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 16 Feb 2023 03:17

Allan thanks so much for chiming in. Much appreciated.

I have been getting about 7 notifications a day for the last few days, of new (spam) users who need to be registered, FYI.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 22 Feb 2023 01:49

I've turned back off the new user option at the moment - I guess if people want to sign up we can get them on.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 27 Feb 2023 02:44

Hi Allan.
Good to see you are alive and well.

I think the turn off is fine.

Too bad if we miss a curious person, but chances are they will find one of the Facebook groups way before this one.

I can admin if needed, but I don't think it is at the moment. Up to you Daniel I guess.

Footbag!