Street a component?

Talk about your big add moves and concepts in here.

Should street tricks get an extra add?

Absolutly. That shit's crazy.
11%
Hell no! But it still looks cool.
42%
Hell no! But it still looks cool.
42%
What is street?
5%

Total votes: 76

dizzy
Multidex Master

Post by dizzy » 13 Apr 2003 20:09

Turn It Up wrote: Street hacking would, inevitably, bring this physical risk in to the sport. Fuck that.
So what exactly are you saying here? That people shouldn't do it? It's "bad for the game"?

:lol:

Turn It Up
Circle Kicker

Post by Turn It Up » 15 Apr 2003 14:40

No, I suppose I wouldn't have very much justification in saying that, even if I wanted to. I just don't think that should become the direction of the sport.

-James

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

Post by NotHisRealName » 15 Apr 2003 14:53

I gave up skateboarding before I realy even started, cos I didn't have the balls to drop into a halfpipe. But I still like to watch it.
The same with Street. I don't like the thought of doing a flail off a picknick bench (like Chris Pinkis), myself... But I still like to watch it.
Footbag is about pushing limits and spitting in the face of gravity and I think the sport will develop and evolve how it will. I don't think anyone will be able to dictate the future and I doubt anyone is game enough to make a prediction, either.
Comment in the BCS blog if you feel the need to.

Gareth Williams

Genzu
Freedom Footbags

Post by Genzu » 19 Apr 2003 08:56

I would purport that adds have generally been accepted as a decent measure of difficulty (They're the best thing we seem to have found so far). One could also easily claim that they are worthless and stupid and not worth arguing over, as there is no way (as of yet) to quantify true difficulty. All that aside, I think street tricks deserve an extra add, and here's why: It comes down to the most fundemental aspect of "add", what is an add? Paraphasing Kenny, "An add is a element of difficulty in ADD-ition to a basic kick." Is a basic kick done jumping off a picnic table an additional level of difficulty beyond a basic kick? In my opinion, hell yea. Of course, I think actually defining what constitutes an add would be very difficult to quantify in street tricks... I could see a two foot vertical considered an extra, and have additional "leaps" it be sort of proportional to gravity. 2 feet = 1, 4 feet = 3, 6 feet = 6... something like that. Well, I gotta go - let's have it: Tear me up! Peace.
Daryl "Genzu Blades" Genz

Owner, Freedom Footbags
Please support the IFPA:
http://www.freedomfootbags.com/

FootbagginBum
Flower Child

Post by FootbagginBum » 19 Apr 2003 11:00

yep, thats what I said, good to see another BAPer posting.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi

moreon25
Hack Fiend

Post by moreon25 » 26 Apr 2003 20:48

Turn It Up wrote:
I think one of the great things about footbag, presently, is the lack of risk of pain (other than, of course, in the knees and ankles.)
Are you trying to say these pains aren't truly serious? I know of two guys who have torn various ligaments around the knees and a guy who cracked the bone of his foot. They couldn't play for like four or five months. Footbag is just as dangerous as any other sport. Street is just another danger. I would give street tricks another add but its not up to me to decide, so I won't. :wink:

Sorry, if it seems as if I'm trying to attack you Turn It Up. :?
Play Footbag with a passion, it only gets better.

Jose Cocolan Jr.

ToeGuiltless
Fearless

Post by ToeGuiltless » 26 Apr 2003 22:28

i think if you are careful, you can avoid every type of footbag injury. so far, i've never been hurt playing footbag (except for the things i did in freestyle fantasy). just be cautious of where you play and especially for the harder tricks.

FootbagginBum
Flower Child

Post by FootbagginBum » 27 Apr 2003 09:21

I agree with Chris entirely, took the words out of my hands (as apposed to mouth)
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi

moreon25
Hack Fiend

Post by moreon25 » 27 Apr 2003 19:37

Your right ToeGuiltless. But sometimes injuries happen with the simplest of moves.
Play Footbag with a passion, it only gets better.

Jose Cocolan Jr.

ToeGuiltless
Fearless

Post by ToeGuiltless » 27 Apr 2003 22:49

yes thats true. any move could get you injured.

injury may come when people stretch without strengthening to counteract the weakening of the muscle when you stretch. i've gotten alot of random muscle from judo, and i think it helps me in everyday life. i can fall from high places onto my back/hip/ankle/wherever, and usually not get hurt. muscle is the key to not breaking bones. stretching is the key to not pulling/tearing muscle. but you cant do one without the other.