backside/frontside

Talk about your big add moves and concepts in here.
Stoneman
Shredalicious

backside/frontside

Post by Stoneman » 14 Sep 2007 19:23

can someone please explain backside/frontside to me?
Julien King

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 14 Sep 2007 19:35

Backside and frontside are used to indicate symposium dexes in a shuffle trick (one that has an uptime and downtime dex). For example, a frontside atom smasher is symposium atomic mirage, or flailing mirage, while a backside atom smasher is an atomic symposium mirage.

It used to be that a mobius could be called a backside torque, or something to that effect, but I don't believe the word is used like that anymore.
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 14 Sep 2007 19:36

Backside and Frontside are used to say which move is symposium.

If you say Frontside Reactor ( which is Atomic Whirl) it would mean the set would be the symposium. So Basically Symposium Atomic Whirl. Backside Reactor would mean Atomic Symposium Whirl.

FS and BS are used as abreviation.

Edit : haven't seen Colin's post when I posted.

Stoneman
Shredalicious

Post by Stoneman » 14 Sep 2007 20:57

so a backside nemesis would be barraging op superfly?
think ive got it now
Julien King

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 14 Sep 2007 21:55

Yep. And for the record, I've never heard of "backside" being used in the way Colin described for mobius.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 14 Sep 2007 23:35

That's definitely an old skool usage. I think moves with a spin were called backside or something. I remember Lynton telling me that my game was all frontside once (because it was all shuffle at that stage).

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 Sep 2007 05:02

Yeah, it was used to refer to style that doesn't really spin/osis; that was my understanding, but I only really ever heard it applied to Yacine, and that was years ago. So... outdated. It refers to symposium.

Some people also like to use the Greek letters of the alphabet to denote the symposium dexterity, particularly in moves with more than 2 dexes, where only two terms (backside and frontside) can become confusing. For example, frantic (pixie quantum) butterfly: if you say frontside ewalk (frantic butterfly) what does that mean? Is the pixie symposium, or is the quantum symposium? Greek alphabet makes this more clear, because you can say "alpha symp ewalk" (if it's symp pixie), or "beta symp ewalk" (if it's symp quantum), or "gamma symp ewalk" (if it's symp butterfly)... etc.

You may also hear "full symposium", or "double symposium", and this refers to all, or both dexes being symposium. I guess that's kind of obvious.

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 17 Sep 2007 14:54

it's only confusing if you're a nub.

not that I'm saying any of you are :wink:
James McCullough

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 17 Sep 2007 21:17

I think it would have made most sense for footbag players to use it in relation to spinning moves, but the spinning/inspinning distinction already covers that.

Frontside/backside have multiple meanings in various board sports. In skateboarding and snowboarding they describe which way you are facing at the beginning of a spin. And also what direction you're facing while grinding. I think surfers use it to indicate whether or not they're facing the wave.

The Greek letter method is better for describing symposium moves, so I hope that backside/fronside become phased out in favor of Alpha/Beta/Gamma/Delta, for the sake of simplifying trick names.

dazza
Flower Child

Post by dazza » 18 Sep 2007 04:55

in munich where fotbag is very humble and unfancy - none of us can hit
a triple dex combined with any symp - we just say things in the right
order to clarify what dex is symposium .

atomic symposium mirage for witchdoc, symp atomic mirage for frontside atom, for example .

if it ever gets more complex, i'd go with the greek alphabet, although front/backside sounds more appealing to my skater ears .
EASYKINKI

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 21 Sep 2007 04:10

C-Fan wrote:Yep. And for the record, I've never heard of "backside" being used in the way Colin described for mobius.
Jeremy, Eric wrote:Stuff
Oh snap, I've got footbag trivia floating in my brain that Ken didn't. This is so cool it hurts.
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org