Counting Uniques

Talk about your big add moves and concepts in here.
sqig
Hack Fiend

Counting Uniques

Post by sqig » 20 Jul 2014 18:15

I just have a question regarding how you should count uniques in a run. Does the same side version of a move count as unique from the regular version? Ss butterfly and butterfly for instance?
Zach Rail

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Counting Uniques

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 20 Jul 2014 19:01

Hey man, good question…

Strong Toe op Butterfly is one unique, then another unique is Flipside Toe op Butterfly… another unique is Strong Clipper ss Butterfly, then another is Flipside Clipper ss Butterfly. But if you repeat the same trick on the same side from a repeating surface, that is no longer a unique. So as long as the trick has a different starting point, it is a unique.

So if you have a run with Toe op Butterfly> ss Mirage (flipside)> Toe ss Butterfly> ss Mirage (strongside), that has 4 uniques, since no single trick is exactly the same as another in this run…

On the other hand, if you do Toe op Butterfly (Strong)> op Clipper> ss Pickup> op Butterfly (Strong), this would only be 3 uniques. Although there are 4 contacts in the string, Toe op Butterfly occurs twice on the strong side.

Sorry, it's a little confusing. Just ask if you need a better explanation :)
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 20 Jul 2014 19:07

Nope that answered it! Thanks
Zach Rail

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 20 Jul 2014 19:13

Absolutely man :) And hey, I realize that footbag can be a bit daunting and challenging when you're learning it by yourself, but check out lots of tutorial videos and learn from there. Basically, any trick you see on footbag.org, just youtube that and you'll tina a good demonstration. If you can't find a demo of it, I'd be happy to help you find one.

Don't hesitate to ask me. I was once a new guy on here and not many people helped me find my way around or learn things. So I try to change that for new players and offer my help.

This community is really freaking awesome, though. Some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. And if you make it to a jam sometime, you'll definitely meet them :) It's a very cool experience!

Hope you stick with footbag, it's a really rewarding sport.

Oh and where in AZ are you located? It's useful to throw your location, at least your state, in your signature, so if someone shreds near you, you can meet up and learn from them, and that often can happen.
Nick Polini

Funblog

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 20 Jul 2014 20:05

Thanks for the tips! So far this forum has proven to be a great resource for me, I'm glad I found it.

I'm actually from Arkansas, in the central area, pretty close to little rock. Unfortunately, it would seem that there are no freestylers anywhere around besides a few guys at my school where me and my friend basically introduced the sport. So we're all newbies around here haha. I've met some kickers from other schools at track meets and stuff, but I've never seen anyone really shred. I started a thread here asking if anyone was from Arkansas, but there was no reply so I'm guessing that the answer is no. Plus the only club listed in Arkansas on footbag.org is the one I just recently listed, and like I said, we're all relative newbies.
Zach Rail

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 20 Jul 2014 22:19

That's alright man. You and your friends should study some of the fundamentals. I'm gonna throw a link below. It's Anssi Sundberg's footbag tutorial channel. It's a really good way to get started… Just start with part 1, then once you master the stalls on both feet, move onto part 2. The ether you want to get, the more solid you'll learn each of those smaller tricks. It's easy to want to skip some because you just want to do cooler tricks, but trust me, if you don't learn the basics well, you will have problems down the road. I hope this gives you and your friend some basic path to follow:

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTbCzAH ... p_kEQ_BHlg
2) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 16E306EDB8
Nick Polini

Funblog

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 21 Jul 2014 07:02

Thanks for the advice and the resources! I think I'm gonna start a footblog to keep up with our clubs progress. As for myself I had been playing at basically the same level for a few months, only hitting an average of about three tiltless contacts. So for the past month I've been working on solidifying my tiltless game and getting the novice badge.
Zach Rail

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Jul 2014 08:12

Hell yeah man, that's excellent to hear. Trying for the badges is a fantastic way to get better. And a footblog is one of the best motivators for a player
Nick Polini

Funblog

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 21 Jul 2014 17:02

Yeah my game has definitely improved since I started chasing that badge! All my toe tricks used to be onesided, but now my toe game is much more consistent, and the only trick I only throw onesided in stings are atw's. I've also seen improved consistency in my clippers, and overall I'm now hitting longer strings with more variety!

The only things I lack from the novice badge list are: illusions, same illusions, atw's on my flipside, rakes, osis', and pincher pickups.
Zach Rail

Allan

Post by Allan » 27 Jul 2014 14:54

Another way to say it:
504.04. Run Difficulty

While difficulty of individual moves is modeled by the "add" system (504.02, above), it is often necessary to measure the difficulty of a run (504.03-B) of moves during competition. The following are some basic concepts that apply to evaluating overall technical difficulty of runs as they are executed in all of the competitive disciplines within this Chapter:

A. Uniques: Within a run, the term "uniques" refers to the number of distinct moves that have been hit during the run. Uniques are thus a measure of the variety of moves in the run. Moves are unique only the very first time they are performed during a given run; repeated moves are not counted as unique after the first time they are hit (on the same side of the body). Two otherwise identical moves are considered unique when performed on opposite sides (e.g., "left mirage" is unique as compared to "right mirage", and thus count as 2 uniques when both are performed in a run) -- so, for example, repeating butterflies count only as two uniques total, regardless of how many times the player repeats them subsequently. Additionally, two moves with different sets are also considered unique, even though from the add-system perspective, they have the same exact difficulty description. Moves with different uptime components (also called "sets") are without a doubt unique (e.g., "blur" vs. "smear").
http://www.footbag.org/rules/chapter/500#504

ziursirhc
Circle Kicker

Post by ziursirhc » 29 Jul 2014 15:44

What Is This Novice Badge That Your Talking About? A Link Would Be Nice.

Allan

Post by Allan » 29 Jul 2014 15:45

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 29 Jul 2014 19:56

Thanks for the extra clarification Allan.
Zach Rail

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 14 Aug 2014 15:54

The rules Allan has quoted, although official, only reflect an attempt to replicate the rules used specifically for Shred 30 at the 2004 Worlds in Montreal. There's really no definitive answer as to whether you can hit 8 unique butterflies (each permutation of toe and clipper set op and same butterfly on each side), or only two (butterfly on each side), or some variation of this. If you look at double downs, it's generally accepted that you can do 8 unique here - paradon and barfly are not the same trick. When I wrote those rules, my goal was just to have the IFPA rules accurately reflecting the rules that were actually being used in competition at the time. The next stage of that project, that was never achieved, was to come up with a more universal and appropriate set of rules. The IFPA should set the rules used in competition, rather than reflect them, but that didn't happen.

In summary, what is "unique" changes depending on the whims of the tournament director, and there isn't a definitive definition.