Moves that are difficult to represent with Job's notation

Talk about your big add moves and concepts in here.
janis
Post Master General

Moves that are difficult to represent with Job's notation

Post by janis » 27 Jul 2014 11:45

Explaining the motivations for this post are somewhat important, I'm making a database of various footbag moves and I need an abstract representation of footbag moves. The general idea that is behind Job's notation is very appropriate for storing in a data-structure in a program but I feel there's some rough edges that need to be worked out when it comes to using it as a tool to conceptualize and communicate some moves. It appears to me that there's some moves where Job's notation is clumsy or just cannot capture some key difference but being that I haven't played much in quite some time I'm struggling a bit to come up with a good list of examples.

Are there any moves that you feel cannot be properly represented by Job's notation? If so what moves/concepts are they and why?

I'm not looking to start a debate here about the merits of Job's, the purpose of this is mostly for polishing the mechanism I am using for storing moves within a database. Also this is not aimed at discussing dificulties of tricks as that's a seperate topic. (As it turns out I have other ideas for judging the relative difficulties of moves and whatnot that will be enabled by having this database of footbag information (moves, components, etc))
Last edited by janis on 27 Jul 2014 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Re: Moves that are difficult to represent with Job's notatio

Post by Asmus » 27 Jul 2014 12:42

Maybe this can be to some use for you: http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/11217

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 27 Jul 2014 14:28

Thanks for sharing that link Asmus, that's precisely the sort of material I'm looking for.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Aug 2014 19:13

Bent is pretty tough, Antimatter is tough, I feel like Rotors and swirling monster tricks would be hard, Jorden did like a Bent Stepping Rake In Badassery, I feel like that would be weird to jobsify... Jorden's Blind Chinlone Knee Bump in Badassery... I think it would be difficult to tackle Anchors with jobs... And frigid anchor... That's all I can think of. If I think of more, I'll post again.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 02 Aug 2014 19:34

Thanks for that post.

Can you elaborate about what exactly is it about bent that's difficult to explain?

Having actually kicked some chinlone with some chinlone guys I think a bunch the stuff footbaggers have tried can be explained in some way or another by no-look or something similar. That knee bump being a great example. Some other chinlone stuff is very different however.
The no look thing seems to be a somewhat broad concept. I seem to rememebr when I kicked with Ken he did some type of spinning no-look clipper move that seemed to conceptually have something in common with this.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Aug 2014 20:07

Cook background on Chinlone. Thanks :)

Bent is weird to jobsify because without seeing the concept in video or in person, I don't think many would know how to picture it from a jobs notation. I don't even know how it would be noted in jobs.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 02 Aug 2014 21:52

Essentially the goal is to be able to represent the widest number of footbag moves as possible. If something can't be represented by Job's that's not necessarily an issue. This is because I'm making a more comprehensive system for representing these things in the backend of the website I'm working on. Anything that Job's struggles to explain is therefore of interest because I'll need to take this into account.

With bent, can it be decomposed into more than one component or is it an indivisible component in its own right?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 07 Aug 2014 08:32

Hi, I searched for this one on stanford's list but cannot find it. The trick is out to in straight leg toe dex ending on the same side clipper. Does this trick deserve to have it's own status like reverse butterfly. I would hate to just call it a funky whirl. I find this trick's relationship to whirl analogous with butterfly's relationship to rev whirl in that they may be annotated the same way but are physically different tricks.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?