Grabs

Talk about your big add moves and concepts in here.

Grabs?

Yeah. Grabs freakin' rock.
43%
No. Why the hell can't people separate this sport from skateboarding?
32%
Haven't seen it enough to understand.
24%

Total votes: 37

Bono
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Grabs

Post by Bono » 15 Oct 2002 21:52

It's been a popular topic on the email list lately. Post your thoughts on the subject here, because I'm sure most of us have some.

Personally, I really don't understand it. I haven't seen any grab moves that were really noteworthy. I saw the ones on flipsider.com and I guess its a groovy little embellishment, kind of styly like max's breakdance-shred, but little more than that. I don't think its worth another add, and I am going to be pretty annoyed if the next generation of footbaggers starts using the skateboarding terminology (smith grab, wesson, method, etc.) like they're doing on the list. This is a different sport.

And contrary to what Damon was saying, its not the same as a skateboarder grabbing his board. Are we grabbing ths footbag is some cool way? No, not in this stuff. This newfangled crap involves the shredder grabbing himself, which I understand is a universal necessity, but should be done in privacy.

I shouldn't be slamming it without seeing it done well and respectably, I guess. Anyone else seen it and thought it was cool?
i like to kick the little footbag thing around and move my legs around it and stuff

rygar
Hack Fiend

Post by rygar » 15 Oct 2002 23:09

where are the grab videos on flipsider?

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 16 Oct 2002 02:45

Well on paper they *should* get another add because it is a seperate move element right? But since everyone mostly refers to the add system as a difficulty system (it's true) I don't really feel they sould be in there either. I've done grabs and was impressed bytheir difficulty but I really don't see much of a future for them in our sport. Bono is right, if skateboarders started grabbing their shins it would probably look pretty weird :)
bono: to my knowledge 'wesson' has nothing to do with skateboarding, unless it is very recent or very very very old (bones brigade type stuff :))

but yes if you're just goofing around I'm sure they can be very well integrated in a run.

HackyRichard
BSOS Beast

Post by HackyRichard » 16 Oct 2002 03:48

max wrote:Well on paper they *should* get another add because it is a seperate move element right?
Not really, as it isn't related to the bag is it?
I mean all the add categories are all related directly to the bag, BOD relates to what the body is doing relative to the bag e.g spinning, ducking, jumping etc, DEX(and PDX, and XDEX) relate to how your legs move about the bag, I'm sure that's enough explanation on that end.

But with grabs, bono put it best when he said that the grabs don't have any direct effect on the bag, which is our skateboard if you want to look at it in that light, so therefore no add should ever be even considered for it. Zero add embellishment is about the nicest thing you could say about it I think.

About the only use I could see for a grab would be with the aptly named grab you balls and squeeze, (in that case maybe an extra add would be warranted as a sympathy thing :lol:) or if you were doing some sort of Michael Jackson routine.

In short, no add, zero add embellishment in nice words, waste of time and kinda stupid sounding in my books. If I ever happen to be in the presence of a grabber, it better be a damn impressive move otherwise I'm going to be grabbing them and running them into the nearest solid object. Keep the posey grabs where they belong in blading and boarding, lets at least try and stay different from everything else for a bit longer please

HackyRichard

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 16 Oct 2002 13:38

cameron kennedy does a lot of grabs on dans new video. its pretty rad. but im not a huge fan.

LinoSphere
BSOS Beast

Post by LinoSphere » 16 Oct 2002 18:01

If you'd ever tried grabs you'd know that they are quite hard to do. Everything that adds new aspects to footbag is interesting and worthy for me. Why are you all so stiff and conservative? There are a lot of things that can actually enrich footbag! Grabs are one of these things, others are trials, hooping, threading, and so on. It's pretty unrealistic that grabs will ever bee dominant in footbag, so please calm down and let creative things happen.

Footbag freestyle is freestyle. It wouldn't be freestyle anymore if there wasn't room for awkward styles'n'stuff.
Matthias Lino Schmidt

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 17 Oct 2002 16:25

I agree with LinoSphere. For example, I really like threading stuff cuz it challenges me a lot to get dexes with feet AND my hands. Threading and spinning at the same time is such a huge challenge that I've fallen down I think probably once or twice trying crazy stuff like Pixie Spinning Threading Same Dragonfly and stuff. I mean.. I'm still working on the basics, and I know I need those (both sides, yes.. I WAS on the original forum after all.. that was practically preached to me) but I like experimenting with new elements. And... I say just let whatever your freeSTYLE is flow. Now if someone starts like.... playing footbag and frisbee while throwing a football and fucking your father then that friendly. Jk... alliteration. Anyways... the point is... even though you use your hands to do graps, hooping, threading, etc. it's still part of the sport because it's just a different take on style.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 17 Oct 2002 18:46

while that is all very true, the sport being free etc... you do need a set of rules if you are to judge it in an event. For example if I came to a comp and juggled 5 balls (with hands) while inside kicking a footbag now and then I would NOT expect to win.. no matter how hard what I do is. I may be going a bit off subject here, but I think that grabs/threading etc.. won't really start being popular unless they are accounted for in comps... and let's face it it's not going to be tomorrow.
shred circles on the other hand are a totally diferent matter, esp. the late night "I've been kicking for eight hours straight and I'm a bit tired" shred circles :)

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 17 Oct 2002 18:55

Good point however juggling is different than threading. And I've always liked to be a little different anyways. As far as using it in comps... if I go in and hit threading mirages I'm not going to expect to win HOWEVER if I hit a threaded nemesis... you damn well better be sure that people are going to take note of that. It depends on how big the move is when you add extra stuff, ya know? Now... I don't know if it should be an add.. technically it's just a body add, but really, it doesn't add difficulty, and that's what the add system is used for in SOME cases. I lost my train of thought...
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

Matt
Post Master General

Post by Matt » 17 Oct 2002 19:34

But this is where we have the "crowd/appeal" factor of the judging (presentation?). If It looks good, or people realize thats its hard you would still get earned respect without needing adds
Like every man of sense and good feeling, I abominate work
-Aldous Huxley

HackyRichard
BSOS Beast

Post by HackyRichard » 18 Oct 2002 00:30

bigdirtyfoot wrote:HOWEVER if I hit a threaded nemesis... you damn well better be sure that people are going to take note of that
And they will, but it won't be for the threading.

I get where you're coming from lino, I guess it adds extra interest/style to an old move, but for me anyway I'd prefer to let my feet to the talking and leave my arms to flail around incoherently (this should be read as "I need to get my feet working before I try and be too clever with my arms"). I don't have a problem with hooping, threading, and anything else it makes stuff look more interesting, grabbing is fine also but is too much of a blatant rip off in my view.

Actually I've just realised thread the needle and it's reverse are technically grab moves, but they don't merit any adds other than del,dex and bod/xbd. So the add argument for grabs is gone, so best to leave it as extra artistic style bonus if you will.

HackyRichard

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 18 Oct 2002 16:01

Yeah good points. I feel like shit today cuz some stuff that happened... and I know it won't matter in probably about a day because I won't care anymore but it really bothered me. Girl problems I guess.. anyways, about grabs and all that, I think HackyRichard has a point.. but I don't think that adds neccessarily judge difficulty so I don't see why it wouldn't be a body add. Maybe that's just me. I don't know. Whatever I had a sucky day so.. whatever you guys wanna say.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

wicked
Fearless

Post by wicked » 25 Nov 2002 22:47

Haven't you people sceen vortex???? Watch it and it may change your vote. Get a hold of Chad devlahovich Bapfolife@aol.com to get it.

Eric

Chris Holden
Dolla Llama

Post by Chris Holden » 26 Nov 2002 09:08

cameron kennedy is a badass on the sickening, I've actually seen him kick before, it's wild when you really see the grabs, unexpected. It'll be a matter of time before new elements are recognized. Remember, few years back ducks/dives were considered silly fluff, now almost everyone has to be able to do them.

Brian
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Brian » 05 Dec 2002 20:34

Last edited by Brian on 18 Dec 2004 20:04, edited 2 times in total.

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 06 Dec 2002 01:26

when i dont duck lon chris whips me

ToeGuiltless
Fearless

Post by ToeGuiltless » 06 Dec 2002 01:47

HUH!?!?

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Re: Grabs

Post by Tsiangkun » 23 Feb 2003 02:36

Bono wrote: Personally, I really don't understand it. I am going to be pretty annoyed if the next generation of footbaggers starts using the skateboarding terminology (smith grab, wesson, method, etc.) like they're doing on the list. This is a different sport.
In english one word has many meanings, and many words can describe a single object. While one may see what they are familiar with, in your case skateboarding . . . I can assure you Smith and Wesson are references to pulling out the guns.

FootbagginBum
Flower Child

Post by FootbagginBum » 23 Feb 2003 11:06

Flipsider and WFA both sell Vortex online Windsor, easier than getting it off of Chad direct.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

Post by NotHisRealName » 24 Feb 2003 03:46

While kinda on the topic of grabs...
What about blind moves?
Adam Fox from the North side of Bisbane can hit blind clippers, butterflys and osis (or is that osis's). He does that by covering his eyes as he hit's the move. Does this deserve an extra add?
Comment in the BCS blog if you feel the need to.

Gareth Williams