Help Wanted (Advice)

Footbag videos and footbag related videos such as takraw, freestyle soccer, etc.
Jordan
Wu-Tang

Help Wanted (Advice)

Post by Jordan » 14 Sep 2011 01:41

This isnt shred, its just a video I made for Milan for him to give me some advice on these tricks. (Your advice would help to!!!) this whole video was made in 2 min of play time. I did pdx illusion bs, then pdx illusion>butter>rpt, ripwalk bs, then rip>clip>rpt, blur bs, some crazy 1,000,000 mile per hour subliminal shit, and a lame as paradon to finish it off...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvcmKduT ... 1315992836[/youtube]

Heres why I posted this. Obviously, I really like these tricks and I would like to know what I might be doing wrong that I could correct. I know for a fact my pdx illusions are kinda different on bs, and pdx illusion is one of my fav tricks, so I want to get really good at it and get it to be as fluent on bs as possible. My stepping feels very similar bs, and I feel that I dont really have a strong/flipside when it comes to anything blurry/step related, which is a good thing obviously, but I would like to know what I could do better to get the set as good as possible. And paradon is a work in progress... I can hit that bs and ive hit it midstring before. just trying to focus on the other concepts a little more for now.

Also, I will be making another video soon for atomic and paradon once I can get them worked on a little more.

Any advice would be extremely helpful and I would greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 14 Sep 2011 08:05

It would be easier to critique, particularly cleanliness, if you were better lit -- try filming next time from the direction of the light source; turn 90 degrees to your left in that video and film from there.

It looks like you're moving too much side-to-side on the ripwalks. It would be more efficient, rather than trying to move straight across the path of the bag, to make a 45-degree turn; this way you can set the bag essentially straight up and down and move around it, rather than trying to set the bag across your body and having to adjust to that movement.

My explanation is kinda sucky, but if you watch this video you can kind of see how his torso turns slightly from one direction to the other in each ripwalk. Someone else can probably explain it better:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9xUoADGuaQ[/youtube]

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 17 Sep 2011 19:53

thanks a lot. I need as much help as possible. I plan on playing this whole year round now that I have foam mats I can put in my house to shred on. I wanna get these concepts down. So, any more tips?

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 17 Sep 2011 20:59

Two things that come to my mind:

1. It looks like on your illusions you aren't really cushioning with your support leg. Make sure to cushion the catch with that leg.

2. It might help to try to do as many as you can, and while you are doing them think about how you can make the dex tighter and use less effort.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 18 Sep 2011 06:13

Hey Jordan!

On illusion, you biggest problem is that you bring your knee way to far on your side. You should bring your knee higher, and less on the side. I used to have the same problem...

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnzTrikz?bl ... Izorg2mzGM

Look at Anssi, on 1:50 when he does Illusions, you can see that is knee doesn't go that far away on the side of his body. Doing that, you'll be able to do the dex slightly less horizontal (with the ground), so the dex should be cleaner. Plus, it's much easier to bring the dexing leg quickly on the ground in that position...

On ripwalk, i think you biggest problem is that the delay between your set and your dex is too long. You should almost start the stepping dex while you set (the suppot leg will also help you to set). That will also fix your timing. You always seems to miss time to complete the downtime dex. Doing your stepping dex earlier will give you more time for the donwtime component, wich should fix your small timing problem on ripwalk/blur.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnzTrikz?bl ... jNs9TaiJZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDzW-WC ... ideo_title

Finnally, i would also recommand to try to have the same set height by bringing your setting foot muuuch lower. Just practice to do some fairly high set by doing the smallest motion possible with your setting foot. Once again, doing that you have more time to complete your stepping dex.

If you have any question feel free to ask!

MAt

Hope it helps!

Mat

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 18 Sep 2011 11:36

wow, i never thought about keeping the dexing leg closer to you on in>out dexs, thats really good advice, I can see that making the dex more vertical, it will help me with double downs too. And youre saying I should do a small motion with my setting leg on stepping set? Like not bring my setting leg to high and plant quickly Im guessing?

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 18 Sep 2011 12:59

Glad that helped.

For the setting foot, i'm talking about the foot that stall the bag before the rip walk. The objective is to be able to set the bag without lift the clipper sooo high. If you lift that leg really high, then you have less time to dex the bag because the bag is allready really high when you go for the dex...

On illusion, you want to have that knee closer to the center of your body (less far away on the side), but the dex shoudl still bit horizontal. You don'T want to have a perfectly vertical dex on illusion.

Does it makes more sens?

Mat

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 18 Sep 2011 14:19

yes, I just had a 2 hour session and I was getting the pdx illusions much cleaner. also, I have been taking 10 mile bike rides every night and it has been doing a toll on my legs, so thats one reason why my video might look a little weird. But, I stopped bike riding and only footbagging and although my legs arent fully recovered and still kinda tired, my sessions are getting longer and my form is much better now. I really want to go to East Coasts, so hopefully I can play everyday before and rest on thursday to give my legs a little nap.

Do you have any drills?