Nostalgia Video Compilation.

Footbag videos and footbag related videos such as takraw, freestyle soccer, etc.
jay7
Flower Child

Nostalgia Video Compilation.

Post by jay7 » 01 Sep 2013 01:52

Dear Modified.

I was pondering one day, about how youtube lets us easily forget videos - especially from the past. Since we no longer are a generation of footbaggers who spend cold lonely nights with their hard drives, we don't look through old videos as much as we used to. To give some recognition to the best videos, I decided to email a bunch of players with different shred-backgrounds, and ask them what their favourite videos were. Additionally, I asked them to write some reason as to why their videos were special to them.

I've collected a few 'entries' thus far, and will begin posting them here. Some videos may repeat from players, but I thought it best to not omit them, since if a video shows up more than once, it just shows how great it really is. I hope you enjoy these videos, and the comments left by the people who chose them.

First Up.

Nasty Nate. -> You may remember him from the former Modified banners, his outrageous style, or exceedingly large pimp factor.

When thinking about my favorite videos of all time I decided to leave out the given classics like 100 bars, Autumn, or Monster Hack's Lon Smith Special. Those types of videos are like scripture to any serious footbag player. The three videos I chose are slightly more quirky or have something that makes me smile and keep watching them again and again over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZEe2ownWIg A nice brief video that gets to the point. DC is good at 5s! Also a very humorous intro and little break in the middle "no repeats right?" Very characteristic of a Thomas video. Overall the video leaves you thinking, wow 20 5's, wow.

https://vimeo.com/15981586 I may be biased on this one, but this video rocked. Three of the Northwests' finest throwing down. Particularly stand-outish would be Nicks 69>blurry drifter>repeat. Especially as it comes out of nowhere after Flash's Unique run at 1:52. Also Jim's Quasi butterfly was hit right after Nick and I were talking about a post of someone online claiming they could hit it. So can Jim apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMD-pFYhdsY This vid really blew me away. Who is this Russian with such an appealing style. It was the first of the far-to-few videos he would release. I really liked that he played in public and you could tell he was pumped with how good he was getting.
Jay Boychuk

jones
Shredalicious

Re: Nostalgia Video Compilation.

Post by jones » 01 Sep 2013 02:29

ahh yes! good old times. i especially watched david's 5's a hundred times!!

Tuukka
BSOS Beast

Post by Tuukka » 01 Sep 2013 08:52

Fun to watch that Sergey vid after a while. That David vid is somewhere in my top 20 as well, good choice.

I have hit quasi bfly, quasi ss mirage and quasi ss bfly. Should try some of that stuff again.
-Tuukka Antikainen

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 02 Sep 2013 01:52

Jay Note: Funny, because I've watched this Australian video hundreds of times, when I was just starting footbag. Very welcomed blast from the past. Thanks Jeremy :)

Jeremy O'Wheel.

3. Australia's Finest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_pxgNsxd9k

I hope it's not uncool of me picking a video with me in it. I was going to avoid that, but I think this is the best video of Australian footbag so I had to include it. It's also filmed at the 2007 Aus Footbag Champs in Hobart, which I organised and is my home town, so I'm sentimental about it too. Ian Pritchard made the video, and now works as professional. All his videos are worth re-watching.

2. Ryan Mulroney Worlds Routine 2001 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGMUEVJbxM

This was the very first footbag video I watched. We used to circle kick at school a little and I remember thinking "I wonder how good other people on the internet are," did an Altavista search, found .org and then found this. To say it influenced me would be an understatement, it's why I started playing freestyle footbag. There have been a few routines better than this, but not many.

1. Sick 03 Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_54JBU55PRE

For a long time this was the video I showed to all non-footbaggers when I wanted to show them footbag. I think it gives footbag mainstream appeal, and was one of the first really professional looking footbag videos. The whole movie is great too . I was inspired a lot by both the trailer and the whole movie. Ales Zelinka's combo of sumo>fusion sticks out in my mind as something I spent a lot of time trying to hit.
Jay Boychuk

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 02 Sep 2013 07:38

cool concept jay. theres a few of this i'd never seen before.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

Strix
Shredalicious

Post by Strix » 02 Sep 2013 16:03

Im lovin this. Great videos and paying homage to some the games greats. Kind of where I was going with Kickin it Old School. Keep it going Jay...

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 02 Sep 2013 22:20

ImageImage Juho. Marjo.ImageImage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V_v-Eb7iU8

This video was filmed in 2004 after Finnish footbag open. Vasek was the special guest of the tournament and obviously won all the comps. Hardcore shred vid which makes you want to go kick. Also loving Dacco's (pekka raitio) reactions to Vasek combos, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YolXVIARhc8
King Vasek doing one of the best routines ever. I remember the crowd was pretty hyped after this next level routine.
Jay Boychuk

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 03 Sep 2013 00:28

The FFO VIDEO! Fuck! I had forgotten that one. So good! Vasek all bouncy and epic. Such a good video.

I love this Jay. Can't wait to see who else you have chosen for this.

Strix
Shredalicious

Post by Strix » 03 Sep 2013 00:29

King Vasek? Is it fair to say Vasek was the best the sport has seen?

Do you know of any footage for 2000 worlds in Vancouver where Mulroney broke the judging system? Sure would be nice to see that routine.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 03 Sep 2013 12:23

Strix wrote: Do you know of any footage for 2000 worlds in Vancouver where Mulroney broke the judging system? Sure would be nice to see that routine.
I went to Youtube and literally typed in "Ryan Mulroney Worlds Routine" and it was the fifth video to appear.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg5Owq_iyaU[/youtube]

The real question about this video is: who's that judge at 2:15 who shoots up and gives a standing ovation?

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 03 Sep 2013 13:07

C-Fan wrote:The real question about this video is: who's that judge at 2:15 who shoots up and gives a standing ovation?
I think what you mean "who's the guy sitting directly to the left of Jon Schneider?" because, by my reckonning, most of the judges stand up and applaud after the routine --- the guy to my left is simply the first and most enthusiastic. Anyway, I don't even clearly remember being at that judging table, but I do recognize my red and yellow Galatasaray Turkish soccer jersey that I got the summer before, and I definitely don't have a clear recollection of who I was sitting next to that day, but I have a very vague sense that it could have been Forest Schrodt.
Strix wrote:where Mulroney broke the judging system? Sure would be nice to see that routine.
I've heard this said before, but I think its really a mis-understanding of the old judging system. And, there was nothing broken about that system or Ryan's scoring of the system. The old formula-based judging system simply had a 30-Point total that a competitor could earn for the various elements of their routine, and there were several MAXIMUM values that one could earn in several categories. For instance, in that formula-system, a competitor earned 1/10 point for each UNIQUE dexterity trick performed (different sides counted as unique, and different dexterity direction, but NOT different setting surface, so only one butterfly per side regardless of if it was set from toe or clipper or forehead), for a maximum of 2.0 Points for unique dexterities. So, one could earn more and more points for each unique trick one performed that contained a dexterity component, up to a maximum of 20 different dexterity tricks --- after a competitor had done 20 unique tricks with a dexterity element in it (or more than one dexterity element in a particular trick...), any further unique dexterity tricks didn't earn you any more points on the "Dexterity Score Card" --- we used to say "that competitor MAXED the Dex card..."

There were "score cards" with a maximum value for each of the ADD elements (delay, dexterity, body, cross-body, unusual surface) as well as cards for Drops, Difficulty, and Performance.

Drops were worth a total of 5.0 points, and one would LOSE 1/2 Point for each drop, so a dropless routine earned 5.0 points, and ten or more drops meant that you earned ZERO points from the "Drops score card".

Lots of top competitors would regularly MAX some of the cards, like Dex or Cross-Body or Body. And, a dropless routine, of course, got the max on the Drops Card.

Ryan Mulroney was simply the first person to get a maximum value on the Difficulty Score Card, and in fact, the first competitor to do MORE DIFFICULTY than he could receive credit for on the Difficulty Score Card. That is, the difficulty card allowed for a maximum difficulty score of 5.0 Points, and Ryan was the first competitor to do more ADDs than the card allowed for, just like Rippin would sometimes do more DEXes than the 2.0 points the Dex Card allowed for, and Scott Davidson sometimes did more unique Cross-Body tricks than the 2.0 points that the Cross-Body card allowed for. Nobody ever maxed-out ALL the cards. Ryan, for instance, did not max-out the 1.0 points that the Unusual Surface card allowed for (I figure Greg Nelson was probably the only top-competitor who may have done that more than once). Even if some competitor had ever MAXED ALL THE CARDS and then-some, I don't think it would be accurate to say that the competitor BROKE the judging system, you would simply say that the competitor got A PERFECT SCORE, which would have been a very remarkable acheivement in itself, but not a complete break-down of the scoring system --- In some sense, it would just be equivalent to bowling a perfect 300, or a gymnast scoring a Perfect 10. Nobody ever got a perfect 30.0 point score during the era when the formula-based judging system was used. Of that 30.0 points, 10.0 points were from the Presentation Cards, which were very subjective... leaving the presentation cards aside, there were 20.0 points possible in the purely technical cards: 10.0 points for the variety (3.0 points for unique delays, 2.0 each for dex, body, and cross-body, and 1.0 for unusual), and 5.0 for difficulty and 5.0 for drops --- nobody ever got all 20.0 possible points form those strictly technical cards. That would have also been extremely impressive.

I don't remember exactly how the Difficulty Card was added-up --- I have notes on it somewhere, but it was basically something like your ADD Ratio (total ADDs devided by contacts, not counting basic kicks, but drops count as a zero-ADD contact) plus 1.0% of your raw-ADDs. So, if your ADD ratio (Difficulty Ratio) was 3.00 , and you had performed 222 Raw ADDs, then your Difficulty Score on the score-card would be 5.00 (it would be 5.22 except that 5.00 was the maximum score, just like one could do 25 unique dexterity tricks, except that the max score on the Dexterity score-card is 2.00, so only the first 20 unique dexterity tricks count, after which you're simply not earning full credit for more dexes...)

I always loved the old Formula-Based Judging System. It has a certain appeal to me, like a guide-book on how to construct a good footbag performance. It has its flaws, but it also asigns certain objective values to what can otherwise be a very subjective impression of good-better-best.
Last edited by Outsider on 03 Sep 2013 13:46, edited 2 times in total.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 03 Sep 2013 13:22

Whenever I see that Jon has posted in a thread, I get excited. I click on the thread and scroll to the bottom, and before reading a single word I look at how long his post is. When it's a long one, I know I'm in for a treat. When it's on a historic topic, I pace myself as I read through it, like I'm savoring a particularly good meal.

Thanks Jon.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 03 Sep 2013 18:17

This whole thread is amazing. Most of these videos are new for me.

Jon is the possessor of all the footbag wisdom.

Strix
Shredalicious

Post by Strix » 04 Sep 2013 00:28

Hey Ken thanks for the video. My searches were to specific, I kept involving 2000. IE: Ryan Mulroney 2000 Worlds.

Jon thanks allot for that post. After learning how the scoring system worked. I would have to agree, BROKEN is the wrong term. In fact if he merely maxed out a few cards but not all, he did not come close to a perfect score. Is there anyone who has come close to maximum score?

This is a better thread of any to say this, but I appreciate the veterans that still frequent modified. The chance to learn more history and good stories is awesome.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 04 Sep 2013 06:46

Outsider wrote:
C-Fan wrote:The real question about this video is: who's that judge at 2:15 who shoots up and gives a standing ovation?
I think what you mean "who's the guy sitting directly to the left of Jon Schneider?" because, by my reckonning, most of the judges stand up and applaud after the routine --- the guy to my left is simply the first and most enthusiastic. Anyway, I don't even clearly remember being at that judging table, but I do recognize my red and yellow Galatasaray Turkish soccer jersey that I got the summer before, and I definitely don't have a clear recollection of who I was sitting next to that day, but I have a very vague sense that it could have been Forest Schrodt.
I really don't know if you're joking or not Jon, so I'll take the bait.

The enthusiastic judge sitting to your left in the video is me. The guy to your right is probably Daryl Genz. The guy who walks by with this arms up holding a water bottle and towel is Tu Vu. And the girl who hugs Ryan was his girlfriend at the time, Nikki something.

Allan

Post by Allan » 04 Sep 2013 08:37

I would like to apologize for the quality of that Ryan 2000 video. I was running the music and didn't know that my camera would essentially be the only camera shooting the event (at least by someone capable of publishing it on the web), and I didn't have time to find a good spot for it. It's SO far away!! Sorry.

Man, I used to host that video off my personal computer at home ...

DubleDex
Shredaholic

Post by DubleDex » 04 Sep 2013 08:59

Outsider wrote:
Strix wrote:where Mulroney broke the judging system? Sure would be nice to see that routine.
I've heard this said before, but I think its really a mis-understanding of the old judging system. And, there was nothing broken about that system or Ryan's scoring of the system.
Ryan Mulroney actually uses that phrase in this video at the 5:15 mark: http://youtu.be/t4l-X0SFMJ8

As Mulroney was hitting the scene and getting big was about the time that I had dropped out almost entirely. So when I got back into kicking and watched videos of him, I was never a big fan. Part of it was the fact that (IMO at the time) he never looked like he was having fun (one of the reasons Peter Irish is one of my all time favorites). He just looked freaking robotic. Plus, I think I held this place in my heart for what I considered the "Old Schoolers" (I showed up at Funtastik when I was in high school thinking I knew a little something, and during early registration I ended up in a circle with Kenny, Eric Wulff and a couple other guys who were at the top of the game - and it blew my mind. Hell, I remember a Funtastik a couple years later where Sunil Jani and the UPenn guys were just emerging and I was actually better than them... that didn't last long). I was kind of traditional.

Now, in retrospect, I look back at his videos and realize that there are a lot of times where he is having a lot of fun. But his version of fun is being so stinking good, it hurts. You can see how he revolutionized the game in terms of density, control, string length, and just plain style. Part of me can't believe that he ushered in such a monumental shift, but his reign was (in some ways) cut short by the emergence of Vasek - who basically revolutionized the sport again.

Whether his assessment is accurate in some ways or not, watching any old Regulator footage is a treat. And this thread pretty much rocks, too.
Darren Kautz
Kicking since 1991

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 04 Sep 2013 10:56

This next entry was awesome. I hope you like it as much as I did.

Jorden Moir.

1. Ryan Mulroney 2001 World Championships Finals Routine
http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/864
This was a video of many firsts for me. It was the first video (if I recall correctly) that I ever saw on footbag.org, the first competition video I ever saw, the first BAP player I ever saw, the first time seeing advanced moves strung together, and the first time seeing it choreographed to music. This is easily the video I’ve watched the most times (and on repeat), of ANY video I’ve even seen, not just footbag. Back in 2001/2002 I would study this video in every possible way, writing out all the tricks, researching and trying to learn the moves, counting ADDs, etc. I already knew at this time I wanted to be World Champion someday, and this video was my gateway to
understand how to do it. Everything Ryan did in the video looked insurmountable, but I really didn’t care.

2. FFO 2004 2-Part Video Series:
Finnish Footbag Open 2004 Warmup - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGDJ49nBMEM
Final Shred FFO 2004 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V_v-Eb7iU8

Vasek and Felix both entering their primes and both shredding together - need I say more? Vasek had just won Worlds for the 3rd time, and footbag addiction was really spreading throughout Europe, particularly in Finland. The shred level was a few notches higher than had ever beenwitnessed before by anyone. Some of Vasek`s runs here TO THIS DAY are still untouchable. Also, probably the first time a 9 ADD had ever been caught on video. These 2 videos must be treated as one and watched together, one after another. If you`re a footbagger and you`ve never seen
these, you NEED to. Bonus points for having some of the most memorable music of any shred videos. Also, basically every moment in these videos is memorable. The correct response to these videos is one of 2 things: 1) become incredibly inspired and start shredding harder than ever before, or 2) throw up your hands and run full steam away from learning footbag. I`m certainly glad I picked the first one. Note: none of what I just said is an exaggeration!

3. Peter Irish Master Juggler/Juggling Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnqES24g2tE

Obviously. I had heard of Pete`s new juggling style before and got to see him perform it live in 2005 (?). I also had seen a few clips here and there in other videos, of the 3 hands and 3 feet together, etc. This was the video that was the summary of the main tricks in the juggling style`s repertoire. Combined with stylistic editing, high quality image and optimal color correction to see the balls, this is a must see for any footbagger that ever wishes to perform in front of an audience. This was a huge influence in developing skills for my (so far) performing career. time and footbag addiction was really spreading throughout

Runners-up:

- Flipsider Practice Room, all videos (helped me teach myself how to play and set goals)
- Where the Ripwalk Ends (the most cutting edge tricks and shr-editing at the time, first time
seeing Vasek play for many people, made footbag seem a lot bigger than it really was which I
guess kept me in the sport seeking the small-time fame and recognition)
- Czech Footbag Big Tricks Session 2002 (?) (The official title is some hard to remember Czech
word. Another video that was way ahead of its time trick-wise, and a clear signal of the
transition from American domination to Czech domination, which continued for many years
afterward.)
Last edited by jay7 on 04 Sep 2013 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Boychuk

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 04 Sep 2013 11:03

jay7 wrote: - Czech Footbag Big Tricks Session 2002 (?) (The official title is some hard to remember Czech
word. Another video that was way ahead of its time trick-wise, and a clear signal of the
transition from American domination to Czech domination, which continued for many years
afterward.)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wokToJxuVFg[/youtube]

Surprised no appearance of Bila Lavice yet.

Strix
Shredalicious

Post by Strix » 04 Sep 2013 13:01

Wow all I can say is