Footbag survival

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Psilocybe
Fearless

Post by Psilocybe » 11 May 2008 09:56

get really really good, then join some random hack circle and start busting out. do you know how epic that would be?
Eh, not the best idea. For one, they'll just think you're a showoff. Two, the hack they're using probably doesn't stall worth crap. But you're welcome to try.

(why was this thread res'ed?)

g00d33
Egyptian Footgod

Post by g00d33 » 11 May 2008 15:06

Well one time my friends and i were hacking on a boy scout trip and some random guy comes up and asks to hop in with us and he was better than all of us and we were pretty wowed even though he wasn't doing anything spectacular. So overall, it was cool seeing someone better
John Goode

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 12 May 2008 12:58

yeah, i remember when all i could do was kick and this guy does a jester and i thought he was so pro. Not really, but ah well :lol: :roll:

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 12 May 2008 13:28

Psilocybe wrote:
get really really good, then join some random hack circle and start busting out. do you know how epic that would be?
Eh, not the best idea. For one, they'll just think you're a showoff. Two, the hack they're using probably doesn't stall worth crap. But you're welcome to try.

(why was this thread res'ed?)

I've tried to turn hackers on to footbag but so far out of my million attempts it has yielded ZERO results. Fuck hackers, I really don't give a shit about recruiting them anymore.

Also, they will only think you're an asshole if you jump in and bogart and show off. This will only turn them off.

The ONLY (ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) people that ever stick around and come back are the people that make the effort to find you. So, the best you can do is to be easy to find and then go live your life.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

gMoney
Think Pink

Post by gMoney » 12 May 2008 16:01

I don't know why everyone doesn't agree with me on that :?
What would you think about an older person, 60, jumping into your circle?
If I were a random hacker and I saw some 60 year old guy jump into my circle and start doing legovers or clippers or something, I would probably shit myself.

I understand not wanting to jump into a circle and bust out tripless or something, but what I'm talking about is somewhat conditional.

I don't know what I'm talking about anymore...
Grant Mooney
Footblog
Challenge

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 13 May 2008 02:58

I think there is nothing intrinsically bad about joining a random hack circle, just be mindful that some people can get intimidated. Make sure to just kick with random hackers for at least 5mins before busting anything out.
mosher wrote:I've tried to turn hackers on to footbag but so far out of my million attempts it has yielded ZERO results. Fuck hackers, I really don't give a shit about recruiting them anymore.
:(
I'm actually a bit surprised and also disappointed that you have not had more success.
mosher wrote:Also, they will only think you're an asshole if you jump in and bogart and show off. This will only turn them off.
seriously, it usually isn't just about busting out. Would you be intimidated if someone you didn't know busted into your casual activity, I've found that being friendly and not busting out for the first few minutes helps alot (I usually just kick for the first 15-20mins, but I doubt anyone on here would be that patient). As soon as everyone else is getting a bit more relaxed, then you can bust out a bit with HUGE rewards, people get really interested if you can break through the whole intimidation thing.

mosher wrote:The ONLY (ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) people that ever stick around and come back are the people that make the effort to find you. So, the best you can do is to be easy to find and then go live your life.
Wow, I'm so glad this isn't true, if it was I would never have played footbag. That said people who make the effort to find you are much more likely to stick around.

pips
Multidex Master

Post by pips » 13 May 2008 03:14

mosher wrote:I've tried to turn hackers on to footbag but so far out of my million attempts it has yielded ZERO results. Fuck hackers, I really don't give a shit about recruiting them anymore.

Also, they will only think you're an asshole if you jump in and bogart and show off. This will only turn them off.

The ONLY (ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) people that ever stick around and come back are the people that make the effort to find you. So, the best you can do is to be easy to find and then go live your life.
I'm a hacker-turned-footbagger who was found by one of you guys. But I'm cool like that. :P

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 13 May 2008 03:17

8)

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 13 May 2008 05:07

Just sharing my experiences!

I've had approximately ten thousand hackers tell me that what they saw was amazing and that they will be dedicating their life to it and come to every session and blah blah blah, not one of them ever came back!

And I would basically always eaaase my way into a hack circle, taking time not to show all my cards right away.

And to those that said 'well IIIIII was a hacker, you're stupid and wrong tom!', keep in mind that it was YOU that came back, nobody had to hold your hand. That's the big difference.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 14 May 2008 12:20

Yeah, but there must be some sort of catalyst or spark flung at you to get your attention. But yeah, all the dedication, and hard work is put forth by you and no one else.