Introducting and quick question

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
RubenS
Circle Kicker

Introducting and quick question

Post by RubenS » 26 Apr 2008 20:44

Hello, I am 17 and new to footbag. I got my first footbag yesterday. It is a sandmaster, I know Mr. Sandbags are better, but they sell sandmasters at a store near my house and I can't really buy off the internet. So far I have only been able to do inside kicks and knee kicks (and improper toe kicks). I have a problem though, when I try to alternate between legs while doing inside kicks I can never get more than three kicks because I don't have enough time to switch legs. I hit the bag hard, but not too much so that it will fly away. Any tips?

Thanks and hello.

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 27 Apr 2008 06:45

kick the bag about chest high, this way it hangs and falls long enough that you have time to swap feet. Try to stay bothsided. Read as much info on this site as you can.

And sooner or later you'll realize that you pretty much have to buy items over the internet if you want to progress. Footbag shoes, and footbags aren't really sold at stores, however your location could mean that you could meet with someone and set something up so that you may use his/her creditcard and pay them for it.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 27 Apr 2008 07:51

If you feel you don't have enough air time, it may be because your body doesn't know the proper footwork yet.

Try practicing inside kicks like this: Kick the bag straight up and catch with your hand. Then, drop it and kick it straight up with the other foot. Concentrate more on making the kicks nice, straight and controlled rather than on doing this alteration fast. Once your muscles learn the proper and efficient kicking movement, it'll take much less time to perform it and you'll see you have plenty of air time.

Try watching videos to see how the pro's kick the bag.

And above all, take your time and practice. Asking for advice will point you to the right direction, but you still have to do the walking to get there :)
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

RubenS
Circle Kicker

Post by RubenS » 27 Apr 2008 16:00

Thanks a bunch, advice was great. I am starting to get the hang of the inside kicks, but the toe flicks are still a mess : )

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 27 Apr 2008 16:24

practice a bunch and in time it will become more natural to you

Psilocybe
Fearless

Post by Psilocybe » 27 Apr 2008 22:16

I know this might be blasphemy, but if you know how to toe flick a soccer ball, apply that to a footbag. Its just about the same and once I realized that I got way better at them.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 27 Apr 2008 22:19

I'm glad to hear your inside kicks are getting better. I bet that you're kicking more precisely to about chest area, and you're planting your kicking foot a lot faster after the kick.

as for toe kicks, keep your ankle loose, bring your foot back to almost behind your butt cheek, and whip your lower leg with the loose ankle at the bag when it is very low to the ground.

That, in my opinion, makes for the best-looking toe kicks / flicks (whatever you want to call them).
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 27 Apr 2008 23:32

The pattern timing and general ground footwork is similar to walking. Try walking and doing air inside kicks till you feel comfortable balancing with your legs swinging up the middle.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

RubenS
Circle Kicker

Post by RubenS » 28 Apr 2008 13:16

I am always practicing. But I was wondering if this happened to you all at first too, I will make a load of progress one day, but then the next day I am back where I started.

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 28 Apr 2008 18:15

yeah, its all common. I remember rushing my kicks when i first started, and staggering in between each kick to keep ba;ance. With practice kicking becomes a MUCH more fluid motion as with any trick.