Too late to start shredding?

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
dannytheko
Hack Fiend

Too late to start shredding?

Post by dannytheko » 07 Sep 2008 02:30

Hey everyone,
I recently discovered freestyle footbag and want to learn because it looks awesome and it something that you can do on your own and practice easily.. Here in Australia footbag is pretty inexistent (i think) and wish i could have found out about it earlier on :(

Currently i only play casually and mostly in a circle. Im pretty bad at the moment and can only do at most 20 or so inside kicks and a few toe kicks with my right leg only. Im using a nike footbag atm (i know its bad, its the only one i could find in the stores) Also, i only have joggers atm. I know everyone keeps on saying lavers is a must, but i dont think i would be able to get them yet. (living in australia things are pretty expensive/ cannot find at stores and i dont have a credit card yet, and my parents will def wont buy it especially when its just a shoe... yes, my parents are like that :( ) I will do my best to get the better shoes than my joggers though :wink:

Anyway, the question is that is it too late to start now? (im 18 btw) when did everyone else start? Is footbag a sport that requires training early on or something that you can pickup when older? The other sports i do are jogging and tennis, so my footwork is baad especially my left foot.

Also im probably going to get some 8 panels from gangsta here http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=17868
as they seem to be very good and cheap according to the comments. (i hope they are durable!) I was considering Mr Sandbags i was put off by the durability (as i dont have cc etc... cant seem to justify to parents why i need new sandbags from the US every few months, haha)

And yeah, this seems like a very friendly forum :D
ps i would be stoked if i can eventually do a clipper (i dont care how long it will take :lol: )
Cheers,
Daniel

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 07 Sep 2008 02:44

I started at 25. I might not be the next world champ but I'm suspecting even if I started earlier I'd still be as talentless. However, my goals are to have fun and improve on my own pace and I'm achieving both.
I think 18 is a great age to start: Young enough to have plenty of spare time to put into it, and mature enough to commit and practice.

There are relatively many players in Australia, but might not be in your area. I think the forum footbag.org has an active Aussie subform, look it up.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 07 Sep 2008 06:39

Do you live in Melbourne? If so there is an active scene here. If you live elsewhere I can get you in contact with other players.
Visit www.footbagclub.com for more info on the Melbourne scene.

18 is definitely not to old to start, I only got into the game seriously when I was 18.

dannytheko
Hack Fiend

Post by dannytheko » 07 Sep 2008 06:57

Im in Brisbane :cry:
Thanks for that though :D

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 07 Sep 2008 08:58

I didn't even start hacking until I was 18, and didn't get 'serious' about footbag until I was 23. You're definitely not too old.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 07 Sep 2008 09:25

definitely not too old to start. I know someone who didn't start till his early-mid 40s, and I've seen him hit some insane moves, and (WAY more importantly) he had a great time freestyling.

So, jump right in! Work on your basics, drill both sides, get the proper equipment (good bag, good shoes, and above-the-knee, trim but not snug shorts), but also have fun working on weird tricks you've never seen before, or just kicking whatever way makes you feel good.

welcome! if you're anything like me, being a better footbagger may be one of the best goals you ever choose to pursue.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

dannytheko
Hack Fiend

Post by dannytheko » 09 Sep 2008 04:17

Thanks guys, i will definitely will start getting into footbag :)
Im going to get some sandbags from gangsta (louis) soon.. cant wait..
I wont be able to get lavers but ill start off with dunlop volley classics, should be way better than the runners i have now :lol:

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 09 Sep 2008 20:14

I kicked a bit in dunlop volley classics, the toe surface is alright but the inside surface is horrible.

dannytheko
Hack Fiend

Post by dannytheko » 09 Sep 2008 21:02

Hmm, but they are better than volley internationals right?
Any suggestions on better shoe that can be found at local shops?

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 10 Sep 2008 07:44

lavers.

How much is the difference in price between what you want to get and Lavers?

you can't save your milk money for an extra week to have the proper shoes?

you won't regret it. Don't mess around with half-assed shoes. If you want to freestyle, get the right equipment so that you don't have your primary contact with the bag messing you up.
BRICK!

nyfa

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 10 Sep 2008 13:44

I'm just thinking that its a little bit funny and a little bit sad that it should be so difficult to get a pair of Rod Laver tennis sneakers IN AUSTRALIA, where the guy is from, and where they have a big tennis tournament every year, a tournament known and broadcast internationally, in a stadium named for the man.

I don't know... I struggle a little bit with the definition of "irony." Does this qualify?

I just finished modifying a new pair of Lavers two nights ago. Oooh Ooh ooh, I just LOVE a new pair of perfectly modded Lavers. And I didn't even need a new pair -- I've got two other pair that are barely even worn-down at all -- they'll both probably last me another half-year at least -- but have I mention yet that I just LOVE a nice new pair? I'm sorry to be all like pouring salt in your wounds, Danny. I don't mean to taunt you and all...

I love how, after cutting out all that canvas, and a bit of the insole, and opening up the toe-box (actually, I do that part first) that you can see just how totally simple the shoes really are -- no frills -- and with the toe-box opened up and that nylon mesh so nice and thin without the canvas, the shoes are almost like a nice pair of slippers or sandles. There's just so little left to them when fully modded.

I never use anything but the Lavers, but... have you looked around for the New Balance CT what-cha-call-'ems? Or the G-Units? There are even, occasionally, some very passable knock-off versions of Lavers to be found... Hey, Matt Cross, were you there at Funtastiks four or five years ago when somebody discovered a store just down the block from the Net sight that was selling these cheap Laver-Look-Alikes, that had, like, some nautical logo, like an anchor or something? A bunch of people bought them that weekend. Heck, that might have even been, like, six or seven years back -- that same park on that same weekend year after year -- it can all start to blur together after a while.

Also, some very good shredders have played predominantly in Teva sandles. I'm not necessarily recommending them, but I have tried them too, and found them to be okay, though imperfect. Still, they're better, than, say, Chuck Taylors. Dave Holton was known as Teva Dave for a long time 'cause thats all he ever played in, and he kicked alot of ass. At the first Colorado Shred Symposium, he came in 4th place, beating everybody but Scott Davidson, Ryan Mulroney, and Rippin' Rick Reese, and those three guys had finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at Worlds just a few months prior, so there was no shame in not beating them. He did come out ahead of guys like Sunil Jani, Eli Piltz, Wicked Windsor, Big Add Chad, Red Husted, Richie Abshire, and me. Its just a thought...
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

dannytheko
Hack Fiend

Post by dannytheko » 10 Sep 2008 13:57

Unfortunately, theres quite a difference in price considering shipping cost alot to australia... and also i dont have a credit card or job yet, so it will be hard. Also considering that ive never bought a shoe over $40, lavers will be hard to justify to parents (plus ive asked them for too much stuff recently :roll: )

Oh well, ill get a job soon and meanwhile ill just practice the best i can with what ive got before i get lavers.

Thanks for the help though :)

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 10 Sep 2008 23:51

Outsider wrote:I'm just thinking that its a little bit funny and a little bit sad that it should be so difficult to get a pair of Rod Laver tennis sneakers IN AUSTRALIA, where the guy is from, and where they have a big tennis tournament every year, a tournament known and broadcast internationally, in a stadium named for the man.

I don't know... I struggle a little bit with the definition of "irony." Does this qualify?
Irony is basically when something is used for a purpose that is the opposite or contradicts the intended purpose. So sarcasm is an example of irony. Another example would be something like rolling a joint out of an anti-drug leaflet. I would say therefore that the Laver situation in Australia is ironic, but it's pretty marginal. I guess it really depends on whether Rod Laver is well known to Australians or not (I don't really know) - because the initial intention would be to market the shoes to people who recognise his name, and if you're no longer selling the shoes in Australia that seems like you're contradicting the purpose of the name.

Danny; you're definitely not too old to start playing footbag at all. Lots of top players have started at similar ages and it didn't appear to hinder them. You should check out http://www.footbag.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=23 because often when people order Lavers in Australia we order a bunch for everybody who needs them, thus the postage costs are cheaper and you just need to send the money to somebody nationally instead - which is easier, especially for younger people. I've moved to g-units but have been thinking about going back to lavers, or at least getting a pair to mess around in too, so if you do decide to get some let me know. My units are going to last a fairly long time, so I'm in no rush, but I wouldn't have a problem ordering lavers before I wanted them if a time came when you were keen.

You're probably looking at about $80 AUD, so given the job market at the moment, you could make that in a day and then quit ;)

dannytheko
Hack Fiend

Post by dannytheko » 11 Sep 2008 22:19

Outsider wrote:but have I mention yet that I just LOVE a nice new pair? I'm sorry to be all like pouring salt in your wounds, Danny. I don't mean to taunt you and all...
hahaha, its all good, now that im getting some gunits.

A big thanks to Jeremy for helping me buy gunits from the states. He went through the trouble of helping some random newbie like me without expecting anything in return. He also offered to pay all the shipping fees by himself and went through the trouble of changing shoe size because i gave him the wrong number. Its hard to find people like this these days....what a champ :)

And also props to Louis for the great service for footbags

cant wait 8)

ThisIsFate
Multidex Master

Post by ThisIsFate » 12 Sep 2008 06:57

I understanded danny's problems perfectly, because it took me a year to get a real Mr.sandbag and a pair of rod laver to play with, and yes my parents wouldn't allow me to buy such things lol. So, I kept borrowing from friends and used some bad quality hacky sack and cheap deck shoes.
kungho

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 12 Sep 2008 07:32

what's your logic in choosing g-units?

I've seen a lot of new freestylers become very sloppy in g-units because they allow you to catch the footbag in a sloppy way without dropping.

If you have a more experienced player who will regulate your form for you and make sure you're not messing up, you might be okay. if you're playing on your own, try to pay a lot of attention to your balance, comfort, and ease of motion.

good luck :roll:
BRICK!

nyfa

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 12 Sep 2008 12:10

I started at 22. There are tons of players in Australia. yeah Jeremy?

dannytheko
Hack Fiend

Post by dannytheko » 12 Sep 2008 14:13

Matt Cross wrote:I've seen a lot of new freestylers become very sloppy in g-units because they allow you to catch the footbag in a sloppy way without dropping.
Are you saying that they are harder of easier to catch?
Matt Cross wrote:what's your logic in choosing g-units?
Umm they were $20 :lol:

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 12 Sep 2008 18:37

Yeah no worries. We got a really good deal on the units - from the espn shop if people are interested. $20 a pair. I got two pairs for myself as well, despite my current shoes probably still having a year of life left.

I wouldn't say there are tonnes of footbaggers in Australia, but there are definitely a few good clusters :P. No regulars in Brisbane at the moment I think, but you can start a new scene and maybe some of the older players will start again.

G-Units are easier to catch the bag than lavers because they have an amazing inside surface. This can lead to lazy clipper stalls and a lot of form issues, but I've always thought of it like this. G-Units let you play a bit more like Vasek (who has really flexible ankles), and having a good surface didn't lead to him having sloppy style, so it's really much more about how much you focus on hitting things well, rather than just hitting them.

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 13 Sep 2008 09:55

If you want 32 panel footbags, i make them. I live in Sydney, the bags are AUD$30 each. PM me if you want one.
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda