Does anyone live near me?

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
TCheas
Hack Fiend

Does anyone live near me?

Post by TCheas » 17 Jul 2011 15:49

Does anyone live anywhere near San Jose ,Milpitas, Fremont, Sunnyvale?

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 17 Jul 2011 20:33

I don't know my California geography, but check the below link to see if any of these clubs are near you.

http://www.footbag.org/clubs/list?Country=USA&State=CA

TCheas
Hack Fiend

Post by TCheas » 17 Jul 2011 22:37

people in Santa Cruz and Oakland but they only netbag ='(

Hey Sen i read your blog on losing weight and it really inspired me! i currently am the largest ( literally ) footbagger on modified. 5'11 235 lbs. HOW DID YOU DO IT? honestly man i play footbag and i find no issues playing footbag with my weight ( maybe because i dont know how much easier it would be 30 40 lbs less ), BUT my endurance is crap plus i have a belly. my body fat percentage is 16% which i think is right under obese at 21% i am a Milpitas high school defensive tackle on the football team.

Let me be straight, im 14 years old turning 15 on September 20th, i want to lose weight not only for my friends and for footbag, but because IM 14 AND I WEIGH 235 F***IN LBS, health issues are my main concern. Ive tried to lose weight but i just cant. i can run a 11min mile but yet i cant bench press 210; i think i put on too much muscle or something.

So i guess my question is this, what should i do? straight up i need a plan or i could be in some deep shit when im 20.

you really make me feel like i can do this....

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 18 Jul 2011 05:58

I'm glad I've inspired you! To see how I did it just read through my blog. It sounds like you're somewhat active, but what's your diet like? I found that no matter how much I worked out, it wasn't until I drastically changed what I was putting into my body that I noticed a difference on the scale.

I started to think about the food I was taking in as fuel for my body and this lead me to cut down on the chocolate bars and other candy I was HUGE on eating. I also started drinking less (almost no pop). Through all this I didn't do any specific diet plan, I can never stick to those because of how picky an eater I am, but I changed things. Instead of having bacon on my sandwich, I live without it (most of the time.... I LOVE bacon). If I do eat junk food, I really limit what I have, small quantities. And I upped my fruit and veggie intake big time. I also make sure I eat something every 2 hours, this keeps the mitabilism going and keeps calories burning.

For workouts, I've been using BeachBody DVD's: 10 Minute Trainer, Power 90 and P90X is up next for me. The main thing is the alternate Cardio and Resistance training 6 days a week. I find that I can't workout properly without something guiding me. I get lazy and quit, but with the DVD's I need to get to the end of the DVD so I keep going. It's that simple for me.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can help you with on your goals just let me know!

Tony

drillbit
Shredalicious

Post by drillbit » 18 Jul 2011 07:07

TCheas wrote:
So i guess my question is this, what should i do? straight up i need a plan
You are gonna hate this.........i hate it too.

this is simple.

Burn more calories than you consume.
If you do not burn off the energy you take in, your body stores it.

Limit calories and get your heart rate up daily and i promise you will lose weight. Just to ballpark without running numbers, you could easily start with a goal of 2000 calories a day, based upon your current weight that would definately be a deficit.

-Drop refined sugar (no soda, no ice cream, etc)
-Watch diet drinks and sugar substitutes as well
-Drink WATER - AT LEAST half your weight in ounces, so for you 120oz/day
-eat at least every 3 hours, something
-before bed eat a slow digesting protein (cottage cheese is good)
-realize there will be a 3-5 day window of adjustment, belly aches, maybe even feeling like a cold is coming on. this passes as you teach your body it needs less and better energy sources.

Fruit is good but be careful as it will cause a insulin spike and make you hungry.......apples are low glycemic
Low GI = 55 or less
Medium GI = 56 - 69
High GI = 70 or more

Fruits
Low GI

Cherries 22
Plums 24
Grapefruit 25
Peaches 28
Peach, canned in natural juice 30
Apples 34
Pears 41
Dried Apricots 32
Grapes 43
Coconut 45
Coconut Milk 41
Kiwi Fruit 47
Oranges 40
Strawberries 40
Prunes 29

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 18 Jul 2011 07:36

A few other things that have helped in in regards to working out specifically:

Keep track. My blog motivated you. It motivates me as well. You don't need to keep a public record (although it can help) but you should keep track some how.

Track workout streak. If you had a look at my blog you probably noticed that every workout entry ends in "Workout Streak: XXX" Currently I'm on 170 workouts in a row without missing on. This means I'm sticking to my plan of working out six days a week. At this point, I can't miss a workout. I can't bear the thought of starting over at 1. So even when life tries to get in the way, I squeeze in a workout. It's working. I'm down over 60 pounds.

And what drillbit said. It's all simply math really.

TCheas
Hack Fiend

Post by TCheas » 19 Jul 2011 19:54

OK this is great! i only have maybe two issues:

i cant get a workout dvd. the only ones i see are the ones on infomercials like insanity. but i don't get any money at all no allowance or anything. except on my birthday and Christmas, and the only way i was able to order my bear bag was to sell like 3 ps2 games to my friend so his mum would order it for me. if i had money i would go somewhere and find one like on Craigslist or something.

2nd 120OZ IS HELLA i mean 8 water bottles a day? WTF i dunno man i mean maybe if i was working out all day i could but i dunno if i even consume 120oz a day. What i do drink alot of is this little tea juice packet mix. You pour in the power and mix it with a water bottle or container. I drink like 10 glasses of those a day probably. I mean that 99% water. But if its needed i should do what i have to right?

Thx guys

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 19 Jul 2011 23:00

The only thing i disagree with (from a person who comes from a nutritional/physical education background like myself) Never eat before you go to bed. Ever. Its not good for you, your body slows down metabolic processes when you are in a REM state, and so not only is it unhealthy for you, but the calories that you consume are stored for later use because your body in in a state of relaxation/homeostasis. One thing you need to remember is just because someone says something on a forum it doesn't mean that its true (including me, im definitely not an expert, just a student who has spent a lot of time with this kind of information) and that you should do it. Always consult a physician or family doctor before doing things that could dramatically alter your lifestyle and health before you do them.

my 2 cents

Edit:

Also my opinion on the water. In football we typically make our athletes stay hydrated like any other sport. Let them drink when they can. So the normal amount of water you consume should be efficient. Just watch out for indication of dehydration as you are exercising such as smelly urine, and not sweating as much as you normally do. Drinking too much water can cause cramps and fatigue which would hinder your progress.

another simple way to test your hydration is the skin test, pinch your skin firmly for 3-5 seconds and then let go and watch how long it takes for your skin to turn from white to red. The slower it takes for your skin to turn back to that normal skin color the more dehydrated you are. Of course this test will be different for everybody but on average it should only take 2-4 seconds before its back to a normal color.

edit 2:

my opinion of working out. With the mix of footbag and a steady diet that alone could be sufficient enough to lose weight, although if you are super serious and can handle more than footbag do what you can as long as you stay in your "comfort zone". The key is sweat, and heart rate. You want to be working out hard enough that your slightly out of breath, but you also dont want to be working so hard as to be totally out of breath. Warming up slowing, and cooling down slowly are also important factors. I have the power 90 series (which im pretty sure is the same thing that sen is using) that i could send you for free, never really needed it, dont know why i got it.

edit 3:
I just noticed that we are similar, in HS i was a tackle, and Im 5'10" I was 215 LBS. Through what i mentioned above i maintain a health 170lbs, I dont go through any extraneous effort to lose weight and at this point I try to stay fairly healthy but for the most part I eat what I want. What im getting at is do what it is that you want to do, as long as you are enjoying it. If you play a lot of footbag, and eat healthy foods in a moderate fashion then you should be fine. Judging by your weight you should be eating:
at the very most 2123 calories per day.

A simple way to follow what you eat is keep a food journal, or use a website like http://caloriecount.about.com/ to aid you in figuring out how much youve consumed during the day. I hope this helps and if you need any more information or if you have any questions feel free to pm me or reply back here :)
Last edited by Zeb Jackson on 19 Jul 2011 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

TCheas
Hack Fiend

Post by TCheas » 19 Jul 2011 23:21

Well this coming from you.. wow I MUST take this into deep consideration =D

im going to try to do whatever it takes to lose some weight. even though im kind of in the dark right now. i don't have any workout dvds i cant run for shitzle and i don't know what and when to workout. Sure i can find some exercises online but is that really exercising to its maximum?

You know what would be magnificent if someone was really really bored and wanted to help me out? make me a workout plan. That is if it does not take into the time of your lives which i would not allow. ( if you do actually do this for me keep in mind im 14 but im STRONG LIKE BULL.) XD

THX again guys!

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 20 Jul 2011 07:26

Do you have any workout equipment? Dumbbells? Pull Up bar? I can help you out based on the moves in the workout videos. Let me know what you have to work with and I can work something out.

drillbit
Shredalicious

Post by drillbit » 20 Jul 2011 07:27

I have always heard that drinking half your weight in ounces of water was a good goal. Keeps the body hydrated and all parts working and flushes impurities out. Water is the source of life, you are mostly....drink it - a lot.

I know it is a lot, in fact you will probably be drinking water consistently all day to meet that goal. Better than soda or fruit juice all day for sure.
I have the same struggles......its hard to eat right, its hard to drink water all day long. Then it comes down to what I am willing to do. I get it, its tough. Tough for me every day at this point as well.

Zeb thanks for your comments! you seem to have experience in this area.
I have always understood that the "not eating before bed" rule to be a myth. it is more about what you eat and how much. I subscribe to eating maybe 200 calories of 1% cottage cheese with a little yogurt mixed in (primarily for flavor) about an hour (sometimes more/less) before bed. The rationale here is that cottage cheese is a slow digesting protien that the body can utilize during the sleep induced fast. This light snack prior to bed does not put me over my daily caloric goal.
If eating before bed is in fact bad for you could you please help me with some links of reading material so that i may educate myself. When i was younger i could eat anything all the time and was never more than a beanpole, now i am older and seek to use all advantages i can. your research will be very helpful!

To the OP - why do you need workout routines? situps? pull ups? push ups? swim for 30 min? run for 30 min? the idea is to get your heart rate up. not slighting programs or routines, just says if there is no cash your can always find a tree limb or a cinder block or simply get face down and push or off the couch and run.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 20 Jul 2011 07:40

drillbit wrote: To the OP - why do you need workout routines?
It's easy to say to just do the body weight training you've suggested. But I have found for me personally, I didn't have the will power to do it by self. I'd set out to work out and after getting through about 10 minutes of workouts, I was bored and couldn't think of anything else to do so I'd stop. I admit I wasn't putting in the effort up front to list out exercises to do, and I didn't have the workout knowledge I have now. With the DVD's they pushed me to keep going until they ended. There was no time to wonder what to do next and get bored because the next move was always right there.

The OP has also asked for help in making up a routine. I plan to help him using moves I've learned from BeachBody workouts so that he doesn't have to buy the programs, but can still have a structured workout plan.

And on eating before bed, I try not to eat anything after 9pm, about 2 hours before I go to bed. And the last thing I eat is a protein shake with Casein protein for the slow digesting you talk about.

drillbit
Shredalicious

Post by drillbit » 20 Jul 2011 09:07

sen wrote:
drillbit wrote: To the OP - why do you need workout routines?
It's easy to say to just do the body weight training you've suggested. But I have found for me personally, I didn't have the will power to do it by self. I'd set out to work out and after getting through about 10 minutes of workouts, I was bored and couldn't think of anything else to do so I'd stop.
i fully agree with you.......you have to do what works best for you. Not being critical of structured programs at all.

My point was simply if money is what is holding you back then simply remove the issue by doing workouts that do not require $$. You could afford the luxury of minimizing boredom, which is awesome .You still have to work hard and commit. My question is....if you are committed and willing to work hard would you let boredom or lack of funds be an excuse?

it is great you can help the OP with the knowledge you have gained, it is awesome on so many levels!

simply though OP can start right now.

- count your calories for every meal (eventually you will just have an idea of was the cal cost is so this will be less burdensome) (<2100 cal/day))

- do 5 push ups every day this week (all at once or spread out during the day), next week go for 7/day

- make an effort to drink more water than you do now

- NO sugar or HFC

- for 30 min, ride a bike or hit the elipitical at a gym or swim or kick footbag at least 5 day in the next 7.

i can gaurantee you will drop 2-5 pounds in one weeks time if you do all the above

I will do all the above with you if you like and we can post our efforts

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 20 Jul 2011 09:11

When I say its not good for you I don't mean its unhealthy for you at all, I meant it in the way that if your trying to lose weight eating before you go to bed is bad because of the way the body stores excess foods when it is sleeping, your cottage cheese probably isn't that bad because of the nutritional properties that is does, or doesn't have. But if you were going to eat like a whole meal 30 minutes before you went to bed. That would be a whole different story. Also Eating high-glycemic carbs (pasta, potatoes, white rice, sugar, etc.) right before bed will spike your insulin levels and HGH production. Neither of which is good lol

I could try to find some online source for my information but I don't want to link you to anything that doesn't have sources. Maybe I'll take a pic of one of my old text books or something lol

drillbit
Shredalicious

Post by drillbit » 20 Jul 2011 09:38

Zeb Jackson wrote:When I say its not good for you I don't mean its unhealthy for you at all, I meant it in the way that if your trying to lose weight eating before you go to bed is bad because of the way the body stores excess foods when it is sleeping, your cottage cheese probably isn't that bad because of the nutritional properties that is does, or doesn't have. But if you were going to eat like a whole meal 30 minutes before you went to bed. That would be a whole different story. Also Eating high-glycemic carbs (pasta, potatoes, white rice, sugar, etc.) right before bed will spike your insulin levels and HGH production. Neither of which is good lol
i dont believe the body stores food when you sleep. the body stores excess day or night. I agree the metabolism slows but it does not shut down. It is a time for repair and without the proper tools it cannot do its job. You should eat the right foods in the right amount to prepare for and sustain your body during its restful state.

A whole meal before bed would probably trash your daily caloric intake so that will have an effect, but if you ate one meal today and it satisfied your daily caloric goal you would not gain weight by eating right before bed, even if your meal was a twinkie.

carbs before bed - insulin spikes are neither good nor bad, they just are the way your body maintains balance. they must be kept in check if you are trying to limit calorie (i.e. energy) intake because the sudden rise and follwing drop signals the body to crave. the spike in insulin would simply create a deficit and upon waking this may cause you to over eat and blow your daily caloric goal. again it all comes down to energy in v. out (cals in v. out)

my $.02

TCheas
Hack Fiend

Post by TCheas » 20 Jul 2011 23:32

OMG I AM LOVING THIS FORUM modified, its so great!

-Tony, i have a bench one flat for bench press, and one declined for sit ups. i have a built in pull up bar in my garage ( my garage is clean and empty with a TV so i can actually workout in there ) i have weight but no bars for dumbbells LOL but i do have a benching bar. other than that i got 2 legs 2 arms a hard floor and a determined soul.

-drillbit i would love to do those things with you that would be sick. ill try to measure my calories but i ever eat out and most of my meals are homemade i.e. stuffing cheese and chicken, stir fry, tostadas, and im not sure how to calculate calories for these things. i guess i can take the different components and find the calories in each piece or serving size?

BTW guys in my freshman year of high school ( im going in sophomore next Aug 28) i was in ( and plan to stay ) NJROTC and it was great. we did alot of exercises and even an airman came from English ops to give us some exercises. I actually took some workout moves from one of the sessions. I have right here lol

side stradle hops(jumping jacks)
stretch
Shuttle runs
Sprint
Pyramid push ups
boxing ( im actualy a heavy weight mma fighter XD) [i just dont workout or just cant stick to it. im just good at it and i like it]
One handed claps
Sprint
iron cross
calf squats
sprint
lunges
planks
jack knives
leg lifts
sprint xx
stretch
thats what ive been doing for the past 2 days. but for me its not enough i want to do more this gets me sore for maybe 10 20 mins. my heart doesnt even beat hard. BUT Please STILL POST WOKROUTS thank you so much!

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 21 Jul 2011 10:09

Just a note for you guys, I find that Crono-o-meter is an excellent website for calculating your caloric and nutrient intake. It's also free, with a "gold" edition for extra perks, but the free version works great for me.

www.cronometer.com

Here's my nutrition report of the last 7 days:

Notes:
1) Potassium poisoning, you were right Zeb! LOL. Those pesky water soluble minerals!
2) I'm vegan so I don't get Vitamin D or B12 from my diet. I supplement B12 and get my vitamin D from sunshine.

TCheas
Hack Fiend

Post by TCheas » 22 Jul 2011 21:20

alright yeah im gonna try to watch my calorie intake vs my calorie burning.

still i need a workout

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 22 Jul 2011 21:49

Hey Tyler,

I'm moving this weekend, so I can't put together a full work out until next week.

It sounds like you know a good deal of workouts from your football background so:

SATURDAY:

Do a 45 minute workout. Do strength training.
Pushups
pull ups
weight lifting
What ever hurts the most, or you hate the most, do an extra set of them.
Pick about 15 different exercises and cycle through them.

SUNDAY:

Another 45 minute workout. CARDIO.
jumping jacks
knee's up running
jump rope if you have one
pretend to do tire drills like football practice (at least in the movies)
If you have a punching bag you can use it, if not you can shadow box. Don't over extend your joints though.

Remember to warm up and cool down (about 5 minutes each) and include some stretching.

TCheas
Hack Fiend

Post by TCheas » 28 Jul 2011 20:06

hey guys, so this week i took tonys advice and i did my workouts every day.
also for my cardio i was doing some interval training. Like for swimming ( i used to be on the swim team at my high school ) would do laps but for every 2 laps i would go 2x faster and then change stroke. and for running i would do a slow jog( my endurance sucks!) then after 2 mins i would sprint for 30 secs and repeat for like 20 mins. Over all, im tired but it feels good. I know i am being impatient because it doesnt hurt or im not sure what to do but i know its working.

i have also been watching my calories and not passing 2000... though today i ate a CUP of ice cream XD yes only a cup. ive been drinking water at least 5-6 and sometimes 8 bottles worth a day. i really cant say anything more until i see results. well i can say im still waiting for Zeb to give me the link to the freakin p90x download hahaha but no rush since worlds is coming up. but don't forget I WANT IT =D